Five coasters or or a partial backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by palsapal, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palsapal

palsapal Registered Member

Carried out my first backup of C: with True Image 10 & everything ran smoothly until the last DVD. Almost as soon as it was in the drive, I got an error message.

Have I got a partial backup or is the whole lot a write-off?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hard to say.

Exactly what is the error message and what version and build of TI are you using?

Were you making the image from within Windows or from the rescue CD?

Colin

3. palsapal

Error line in log:

Failed to open the file 07_01_14.tib for read: 262,155.

True Image Home 10 (build 4,871)

Imaging within Windows

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello palsapal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

The backup parts on the other DVDs may or may not be consistent, however, they are useless without the last part anyway. So we recommend you to repeat backup process.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to help us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;
    - Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also collect the failed operation log:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also do the following:
    - Go to Start -> Run and issue the 'regedit' command;
    - Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\DebugLogs registry key;
    If this is the first time when this log is being issued, then the folder DebugLogs has to be created first;
    - Add cdrecord value (Type: DWORD; Data: 1)
    - Reproduce the problem and collect the cdrecord.log file created in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\DebugLogs folder.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Save yourself future headaches ... backup to a hard drive instead (internal or external). If you want to have a secondary backup after you have the images on the hard drive burn them to dvd media. This will require a little planning when making the images since they must be split to fit the dvd.
    Putting an image directly to dvd is much slower than using a hard drive. And when it comes time to restore that image from dvds, you'll be shuffling dvds in and out of the dvd drive so much you'll wonder if your dvd drive will wear out. :rolleyes:

6. palsapal

Tried this & got exactly the same result. Almost as soon as I insert the last DVD (the process is at 80/90%) it's ejected with the message "E00070004 Failed to write data to the archive file". So, another set of coasters.

Will try again after overwriting c:\windows\system32\snapapi.dll. Not too enthusiastic about writing to the registry.

7. palsapal

Can you expand on "a little planning"? I've backed up data to separate disks but nevere OS & application programs.

Is it a simple question of knowing how much data Acronis True Image fits on to a DVD in compressed form? I've got 142GB in total of which the Windows directory is just over 3GB & "Program files" is just over 4GB.

8. Ralphie

When making the Backup files, many here like to specify a split size of 1492mb (an easy number for folks in the USA to remember). Three of these can then be burned to dvd afterwards with very little wasted space.

9. palsapal

I'm in the UK. You're goin' to have to explain the significance of 1492.

Just made a backup to the HDD to prove it works & to check size. 142GB reduced to 22GB (compression level is set to Normal).

Waiting now for blank DVD's to arrive so I can try a backup with the new snapapi.dll in place. Only got four left & five needed for backup - I think, as yet to complete a backup :-((

Have been using HP branded DVD-R 8x & have ordered Infiniti 8x which have been recommended. I've an HP PC with two optical writers: TSSTCorp H652L (as supplied) & Plextor PX740A (I've installed). I've tried backing up to both - same problem on both.

I bought Disk Director & I recovered a partition that had been deleted accidently. This saved my life & I'll be eternally thankful to Acronis. True Image is not giving me anywhere near the same straight-out-of-the-box satisfaction level.

10. Ralphie

In the year 1492 some guy and a few friends in an old wooden boat with sails landed in the USA ... I believe he came from near your part of the world. :D :D

Was that 142 Gb of used space which compressed to as little as 22 gb with normal compression? Hmm ... I would be suspicious of that. Try a Restore to a spare hard drive to make sure that that backup is of your entire C drive.

11. palsapal

You're right True Image shows 142GB on my burn summary - it's the HDD size. The used size is 33GB. So 33GB to 22GB compression.

Tried your 1492 suggestion. Got a batch of files at 1,527,808kB plus one smaller. Could burn two to a DVD but third was too much. Have you burnt three of these to DVD before? 1,527,808kB = 1492MB = 1.457GB so three would be 4.371GB which is in excess of capacity.

Did another with 1460 split which gives 1.426GB files. Three fit on a DVD. Wish I could tell you what memorable event took place in 1460 ;-))

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Palpsal

Assuming you seriously need to protect what you are imaging, take the key advice above and forget dvd's. Get an external hard drive. As you've seen, one out of 5 goes bad and you've lost it all.

Pete

13. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Ralphie is right. Acronis just can't seem to get their direct backup to dvd process right. My backups are small so I first backup to the h/drive then use Nero to burn it to dvd. I also get those same errors if I use the validation option to burn backups to dvd. Even if I don't use the validation option, Acronis comes up with a "Corrupt" error when I go to validate afterwards, though the files are intact and ok on the dvd (I can copy/paste them to the h/drive). Their direct burn to dvd process is, in its current state, crap.

14. Ralphie

I don't split my backups since I don't keep my backups on dvd media. But that figure of 1492 has been mentioned by others who do, as the "magic" number.

15. palsapal

Acronis Tech Support now recommending update from build 4871 to 4940.

I thought that I'd at least do a backup to the hard drive & tried creating a Secure Zone. Went through the motions. It re-booted twice with the on-screen lines about locking partitions, etc, but no new partition. Went to "Manage Secure Zone" & got message that there wasn't one to manage. Tried the wizard again & got the same result.

Now I'm beginning to get annoyed :-(( Have wasted 15 DVD's so far & wondering "Shouldn't this just work out of the box - it is v10?" & "Why should I have to download stuff?".

The thought of having to spend £60 on an external HDD annoys me.

16. palsapal

The latest build did the trick. Backup completed :))

Haven't tried to create a secure zone with it yet.

17. NBAustin

NBAustin Registered Member

I'm having the same issues and more. I used your trial and then BOUGHT TI Home 10 this morning and have upgraded from 4940 to 4942. Luckily I use DVD-RW and yes, they are BRAND NEW, so it isn't a problem with the DVD-RWs.

What is with this lousy DVD/CD writing routine you have in this product? Can you not properly support something that MILLIONS of people do every day with other products like Norton Ghost?

18. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, NBAustin

Welcome to Wilders Forums.

Brand New does not mean Reliable. [Try Verbatim for reliability]

Yet you say:-
    Why? when you infer there is something better. o_O

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

19. NBAustin

NBAustin Registered Member

Well, I use Imation DVD-RWs. I have no problem using them with any other software.

I didn't infer anything. I stated a fact that writing to DVDs with this software is a problem, and judging by the other posts here, I'm not the only one with the problem, and it seems the problem had existed for a very long time.

This isn't the only problem. The email backups just flat out don't work.

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NBAustin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

In order to investigate the issue please collect the cdrecord.log file and the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message the way Marat have described in post #4. In addition, create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

As for the issue with e-mail backup please find my reply in post #45 of this thread <Arconis True Image Home Vers. 10 Problems with Email Backup>.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.