Paragon v8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cochise, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK I think I finally have it. If you have Paragon's unpack & burn wizard. This file is labeled Setup.exe. Contrary to the .exe file extension, will not install. It will guide you through the process of creating an .iso. The wizard gives you 3 choices. One to burn to CD as bootable, two to burn to CD as an .iso & three to create an .iso file on your HDD. Not all .iso files are bootable, this one is. And the .iso can be made bootable by burning as bootable to CD.

But if you only have Paragon's install program. I don't think you can create a bootable .iso from that.

Paragon's unpack & burn wizard is a separate download from their site. I had to register my product to get access to download it.

There. Clear as mud. :D

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you are talking about a bootable rescue disc in case your comp won't boot you can create one through the wizard in the backup program. I created one and it works great.

Attached Files:

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm afraid that I don't understand all the questions and concerns about the recovery CD.
    I purchased Drive Backup 8 Personal Edition and I got a couple links for downloads.
    One download is a 35MB file named: Drive Backup 8 PE recovery_cd.exe.
    When I run this I get the following screen:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/00-pdb8.png
    The next screen looks like this and I select file:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/02_pdb8.png

That results in a file named Paragon_DB_Personal_en_31102006.iso. This is a bootable fullly functional ISO, I tested it.
    In this procedure I have not seen something that is called check bootable cd wizard.

The ISO in C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Drive Backup 8 Personal\ISO seems to be a small recovery only CD.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi wilbertnl:

Well that makes 2 of us that don't fully understand. One big difference between what you did and what I did is you chose file and I choose CD/DVD which of course was the intuitive choice for me anyway.

I am I correct in assuming that D:\downloads\systems recovery browser choice was a hard drive file which you then burned with your CDburn.exe program to cd?

The check recovery disk wizard is the second tool in the left pane of the first page when you start Paragon v8 up.

Hi zapjb:
    OK I think I finally have it. If you have Paragon's unpack & burn wizard.

Yes, I have that and used it to create pdb8per_recovery_cd.exe

This file is labeled Setup.exe. Contrary to the .exe file extension, will not install.

It will guide you through the process of creating an .iso. The wizard gives you 3 choices. One to burn to CD as bootable, two to burn to CD as an .iso & three to create an .iso file on your HDD. Not all .iso files are bootable, this one is. And the .iso can be made bootable by burning as bootable to CD.

Yes, I did that process, One to burn to CD as bootable, BUT when I ran the tool called check recovery disk wizard, I get this message cd not bootable, if you could run their tool on your cd which you know is bootable and get their stupid message THAt would clinch this issue, I know I'm asking a lot.

Paragon's unpack & burn wizard is a separate download from their site. I had to register my product to get access to download it.
    Yes, I did that i got a registerd product

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK then. What's the deal?

6. wilbertnl

Allright, I found it.
    I tested my recovery CD, which I already booted a couple times from, and the wizard complains that the CD is not bootable.
    I would not worry about that message, then.

7. Escalader

I was unclear, please

Run the Paragon'd tool called check recovery disk wizard on your bootable cd and tell me if you get their "X THis CD is not bootable" message.

8. Escalader

Thanks, guys the messge is false, case closed for now.

9. Escalader

Thanks to all you members who helped me!

Finally used Paragon's recovery DVD/CD which I created using unpack and burn
    wizard to restore my whole C drive back to November 22, 2006.

It quite interesting really, had to reinstall all the windows xp updates, AV, ASW signatures, etc etc.

Some files I created since of course are gone and if needed will have to export them from archives I took earlier in the week.

The process took about 28 minutes for 18 GB's of drive space.

You guys were great!:thumb:

10. vbnmu

vbnmu Registered Member

just a quick 1...am sure u have a solution already, but PowerIso does image cd. n it couldn't b easier!!!!

11. Escalader

wilbertnl, zapjb, bigc73542, et al:

The recent help I got on Paragon here was impressive.

Would there be any support for the idea of a Paragon forum here at Widers?

I know there is a strong group on Acronis, BUT another forum product would not threaten that in any way?

What does everybody think?

12. wilbertnl

I think that the Acronis forum is sponsored by Acronis.
    So, this question is better answered by Paragon support.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Escalader

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Wilders policy is that they generally don't have support forums for more than one program. You can always PM one of the Administrators and propose it, but open discussion about it will probably be stopped.

Pete

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That will never happen here , there will only be on support forum per software type.

bigc

15. BIG H

BIG H Registered Member

hi all 1 time on sit paragon v8 is still on site

16. Escalader

Too bad, if that is the policy it seems an odd one to me, but then I'm only a member.

17. Escalader

BIG H, I don't understand your message. Please clarify.

18. wilbertnl

Paragon 8.5 Personal Edition is released.
    Registered customers can download the updates here.

19. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

According to info from technical support, Drive Backup 8.5 Professional Edition for Vista will be released in March 2007.

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

PARAGON ROCKS!!

I have nothing but pure praise for that company myself. That proggy, and especially for me the HD Manager is nice within the GUI, but what sealed my confidence in it compared to any others was the times my PC refused to boot up for one reason or another, but Paragon Boot/Recover CD resolved those anxieties once and for all each and every time. LoL

I still use the Boot Manager from Paragon because i've experienced nothing but difficulties time and again with Microsofties XP's Boot Loader messing up the MBR on the other alternate (Dual) drive i need to boot to sometimes and houses a very stable & quick 98SE used for depositing internet m'ware finds & various viruses Ouch!. :blink:

21. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Yes, they ROCK... I like their HD Manager too... going to upgarde to Ver 8.5 with the 50% off. Bye Bye ATI.

22. wilbertnl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.