Rate Detection Avira PE vs Dr.Web 4.33

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no one is saying antivir doesnt have the better detection, im just highlighting other things what make me love dr.web sooo much and why i wouldnt purchase avira, nothing wrong in that is there? :)

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

AV-COMPARATIVE !!!

no comment...

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, ok. lol

make all your decisions on that,

you know some companys add ALOT of sigs just before the test, nod32 being a big player in this.
    if this is all you care about, then fine... i also will say no comment.

but i like to take personal experience with the software a bit more, avira is bugged, as update errors, is this really what he needs?

dr.web offers:

such as...

* Computer resources-friendly - perfect for laptops, ideal for notebooks
    * Can be installed on the already infected machine and can cure the infected system
    * Correctly checks on-the-fly incoming\outgoing e-mails via POP3/SMTP/IMAP/NNTP
    * Protects against spyware/adware/riskware/hacker tools/paid dialers
    * Very frequent updates of virus databases – up to several times per hour!
    * The distribution of Dr.Web is the smallest of all leading anti-viruses – around 9MB, just 12-15 MB of free space is required after installation!
    * The size of the updates are the smallest of all - up to 15 KB only - perfect, even for dial-up users.

just to name a few, a good detection rate although be it... not as good as avira at the moment, but with a new GUI arriving soon, new technology, new engine and a faster scan speed, dr.web is looking good for the competative market.

support of the highest quality, sample sent, signature created in 16 minutes?
    direct contact with developers, even general managers who do reply, in extremely fast times.

and all this can be bought at a 50% migrate discount too,

also with a LiveCd arriving very soon, the free dr.web cure it which doesnt have to be installed, all products of dr.web

i dont see avira developing other things, other than detection, their bugs aint fixed, their updates still brake the software too, sure... buy avira. :)

--
    something to think about im sure,

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I think that you are confused. Eset (and others players) receive the missed samples in the test and, after that, they release updates. IBK ends the tests well before the reports are online. So, the exchange of samples occurs after the tests are finished and corrected. If you don´t agree on this, you are saying that the AV-Comparatives tests are flawed and biased. If you are talking about other things, please enlighten me.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Quit referring to bugs with Antivir please. I can look at the Nod forum above, I can look at the Kav forums and there are issues with all depending on the customer and their setup. And a few for Dr Web to if I am correct, since I am also one of their beta testers. CSJ, bottom line is, you cant win this argument, "yet."

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

If dr.wer tests new beta version, Avira also have several beta testing..
    Tuday it's not important how many spaces use AV in your hard drive..
    Avira have one of the fastest productes, with few recourses utilisation and
    most important for AV-s is detection...
    Can you post here how many updates did dr.web in january 2007?

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

but this is true:
    this probably too:
    So bugs vs better detection, hm, the problem is that avguard (avira)
    once crashed and freezed my whole system and lust but not least made a false positive while downloading a legit tool.

I would use both, but don´t use avira guard it could be critical to your system stability especially if you are using other tools, like process guard and a firewall with several inline hooks.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Bugs? What bugs? Last one was program not restaring properly after update. Apart from that i don't remember any serious bug after AntiVir 7 launch. SO how can that be buggy?

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Lets do this, the orginal question was detection, and that is all. So cast your vote and leave it at that.

10. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I use Avira Premium Security Suite and I haven't noticed any bugs...

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Neither have I.

12. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

This is my final post here (I think):

Avira in january 2007 from 1 to 8 add 8380 signatures to their database;

Dr.web overall have 166221 signatures(according to their official site);

Do you understand what It means ??

It means that Avira can make in 19 days number of updates dr.web made in this hisory of existence... :D

And.. Avira have better heuristic detection

looool

13. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Before I get flamed by anti-DrWeb users, please note the following:

1. Honestly, I must admit that despite trying other AV programs, I always return to Dr.Web because of its simplistic resource usage, stableness, and quick updates. Based on the Christmas and New Year's signature updates, Dr.Web was always releasing the virus signatures compared to other small vendors. Good sign.

2. DrWeb Staff - this is something that is surely very attractive because they respond to customer inquiries and questions promptly even though English is not their 1st language. Sometimes, it has an aggressive tone but just try to be open-minded. The dedications they put is very invaluable.

3. Hard-working Developers - I am sure there are not that much developers in the company compared to Symantec or Kaspersky but the people like Igor D., Sergey, and some others I missed are honest, hardworking people, and always up-to-date with putting any emergency signature. Igor's philosophy is very, very, very reassuring too. Just observe the times when the signatures are released. I've seen some close to midnight. For Kaspersky, I can't complain, they are awake 24 hours.
    http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar

This year, I hope the detection rates would rise compared to other
    vendors and provide a new generation of version 5 for home customers.

Again, I hope this post can be a valuable tool for other vendors to also improve their super product. As I always mention, there is no perfect AV but there are companies and individuals who spend heck of a time disseminating the codes and releasing the signatures on a timely manner and improve the heuristic engine. We must also understand that it takes more time to produce an outstanding product - sometimes I hope it could be as fast a car wash. But that's never going to be it. Malware industry is always changing and vendors need to also keep up with this unsteady movement. That's the challenge vendors face. Geat chase and great product!!

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Number of signatures IS NOT a reliable comparison for which AV is better... some AVs have signatures which cover a range of variants for malware, other AVs give each variant a signature each. also, some AVs use heuristics which eradicates the need for signatures... take a look at AV-Comparative's on-demand tests... F-port and AVG have far more signatures than KAV and NAV, yet, they detect far less

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Still a good post, thanks.

16. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Both (Avira&Dr.Web) have many FP's.
    Now I'm waiting a few weeks when Dr.Web team will fix a FP with Intel drivers.No reply,no fixing,nothing.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

looool?

listen,

signature count means , end of.

18. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Try posting to http://forum.drweb.com/ and you may get a quicker response.

Cheers

Jlo

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or he could use my signature,

send it to them, they will reply, fast with a fixed solution

rar the virus up with the password 'virus' and send :)

---------
    p.s. if dr.web dont add signatures for malware that cannot be executed, how is it properly tested in av-comparatives? as im sure all malware on there wont be executable for damage to a machine?

on my own test which is always my favourite kind of test, antivir did outscore dr.web, fair enough... no surprise, but it did slightly better f-secure with its kaspersky engine and beat nod32 by a long shot, notice the test included all types of malware.

20. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Thats russian mentality ;-)

You are so right and sitting directly at the source of truth.

They try to fool people by showing higher amounts of sigs to make more money that´s it in several cases.

21. rayoflight

But I wrote there twice with the same result:nothing.

I tried already all options:
    1. Their forum
    2. vms@drweb.com
    3. support@drweb.com
    I have four or five open tickets,but as I said nothing,no reply at all since Dec 26, '06

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh that is total BS, look at the last report IBK did and see if the difference doesnt strike you in the head. Geez folks, why can we not just state the facts, as we currently know them, and leave our manhood out of the answer for a fellow member wanting feedback to a specific question.:ouch:

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

RayOfLight,

http://support.drweb.com/sendnew/

rar the detected file up, with the password virus (no caps) and send it there.

for future ref, its in my signature.

once you send it there and the server accepts your file (it should tell you its accepted), then thats it... wait for a reply.

24. rayoflight

But wait:I sent them a direct link not a file itself,because this file weights 86MB:(
    Their server does not accept huge files.

Sorry:(

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the driver should not be weighing that at all, check again.

maybe a package installer with the driver built in, you need to send just the false positive file, the driver is the file you need to rar up.

EDIT:

i suggest scanning the installer (if thats what it is) that weighs 86mb, let spiderguard find the file when you try to execute it, click MOVE when the options show, if it still lets the rest install, it will move that single file from the executable to the quarentine, program files> dr.web > infected!!

you will then be able to rar just that file up with the password virus on the rar, and send it to http://support.drweb.com/sendnew/

hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.