Check this out....Antivirus Malware-Test Lab Dec 11, 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Re: Check this out....Malware-Test Lab Dec 11, 2006

Don didn't refer to Kaspersky in his reply in any way - he quite nicely summed up some very valid arguments. So please skip referring to something that's not the case here.

That's beside the point here. That said: IBK in fact informs AV companies having their software (freely!) being tested up front as for test results are concerned. As a result (most of the times poor test results) those companies are free to withdraw their software from further testing. As it is very few actually pull out - meaning they do trust they way IBK performs testing. Now, in my book, that's professional testing - contrary to the one being discussed over on this thread, for reasons summed up rather well by amongst others Don Pelotas.

No offense intended, but this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. This topic is about solid and reliable testing - coming with an example how tests should not be performed. At the very least test bed and testing conditions should be out in the open for all to see.

regards,

paul

2. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Finally, a test with credibility :D :D :D just kidding, of course.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

deleted

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

wow this is one of the first times i have seen Paul post here for a while. I guess retirement must be fun.
    nice post Paul
    CSJ can have the lodore syndrome sometimes:D
    lodore

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

deleted

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

CSJ

Since i obviously hit a nerve..only one more question.

If this is a valid test...then why do Nod32 come out with a 49.51% score?, Surely you do not for a moment think that it would score this low do you?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Just to end this, CSJ, Don is a good man that I have a lot of respect for. I may not always agree with Kas, but I do respect each of these folks for the work they do. Now this will get deleted, but hopefully you read it first. Rein it in man.

8. Paul Wilders

Grin...I may not be around that visible over here as used to be, be assured I'm far from retired ;)

At seldom times, I do feel the urge :D

Never ever heard of such a syndrome o_O

regards,

paul

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

C.S.J.,

Looking strictly at the test results only and nothing else, consistency with the established knowledge base realistically is a factor people weigh in assessing information. We do that all the time, including cases where we don't even realize it.

I know that whenever I am confronted with a result, be it an AV test or some type of physical measurement, I do ask whether it is consistent with what I "know". If it's not, then I try to determine whether the result is in error, or whether what I "know" is either in error or incomplete. The problem with many of these published test results is that pursuit of the latter is often next to impossible.

Blue

10. oscarlee

oscarlee Registered Member

should i swap my nod32 for avg guys or would you keep nod cheers . cause this forum in confuseing
    o_O o_O o_O

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Sorry i thought you where retired.

the lodore syndrome is a wilders board joke that trjam started.
    I seem to type things without thinking sometimes so once trjam said the lodore syndrome when i did that. so now I make fun of myself really.
    but its easier that way. in the f-Prot thread i also used that joke making the point that when companies like norton get sold to the evil corporation like syamantec the support gets bad and doesnt listen to the customers as much.
    at that point i switch to the little guy.
    lodore

12. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

No, I would not swap anything based on a single test. Any single test.

Londonbeat

13. Paul Wilders

Now, this is a vital remark - not only in regard to Don Pelotas, but in general. Although we do host the Official ESET/NOD32 Support Forums, we do respect other sortalike software companies, their official representatives as well as the volunteers spending time in helping companies as well as their software users out. That has been and will be our general stand, until proven wrong (and that does happen as well on rare ocassions unfortunately). Mutual respect instead of endless controversies ("mine is better then yours" etc.) is what it boils down to. Everyone is free in picking the software(s) s/he likes most and we do expect respect for that.

Although off topic - as is this reply - it won't be deleted; there's no harm having this spoken out.

That said: let's keep on topic from now on - my person included ;)

regards,

paul

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Accurate or not, and folks, we went this road with his last results awhile back, if anyone wants to look back on antispyware test results, we need tests, all kinds. Because in the end, it is us, who will decipher the results. And that is what is needed for new members coming here. Facts and solid advice, nothing else.

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You know, i wish he would of tested my 'WinAntivirus Pro'. With those scores, i know it would of finished near the top!. It took awhile, but i'm actually enjoying all these popups. And talk about detection rates, WinAntivirus Pro finds things all the other AV's missed!.:D

16. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Thanks Blue for these words of wise

MaB

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You should keep what you have, a test like this (or any one test) should not make you change your mind.:)

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Keep NOD.
    Be very careful about fixing it till it breaks.:D
    Best,
    Jerry

19. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Has anyone eventually found out how trustworthy are these tests? What is your oppinion on the test methodolgy?
    I found these tests very interesting an somewhat trustworthy, but as I've said earlier the guys that did those tests excluded other software too easy on various weird motives.

20. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

The reason WHY this test is bullshit was already posted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=900610&postcount=20

AND I SECOND THAT. It is ABSOLUTELY no big suprise that Honeypot samples tend to be corrupted / stripped off! Everyone who has a honeypot knows this!

21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thanks for telling us the explanation FRug. Not worthy to look at this test.

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Personally I never pay a handful attention to this kind of test. Test results are good only you believe in it. I would treat it as a tea time material, you talk about it and forget about it completely afterwards. Often I ask myself this question; Of virus and anti-virus, which exists first? same question as this; which one exists first, eggs or chicken? And I often wonder that perhaps virus script writer and antivirus app developer share the very same office or are lifetime members of very same fitness club.:rolleyes:

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not being very smart in this area (or any other for that matter) I do pay attention to tests. I have decided which I trust. AV Comparatives is the tops for example.
    While I do not ignore others it is clear to me that if there are significant differences between the few for which I have high regards, then I try to learn what it is about. If I cannot determine that the tests are for spyware instead of viruses or some obvious reason for the differences I just ignore that test if it is greatly out of line with the good testers.

I really an not interested in how my AV handles tracking cookies and spyware. I have oher applications for that. I do not get too excited if my AV is not always at the top. It is good enough for me, and I had rather use a "known quantity" than play around for another percentage point.

I admit that I think KAV and F-Secure are not going to be far down, and the same can be said for NOD, Avira, and several others.

Best,
    Jerry

24. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I believe the antispyware testing site was previously referred to by 'Wai Wai', I was rather disappointed by results given to some of my apps. I asked about SAS's poor showing at there forum, & I think I touched a nerve. At least the tone of the replies were first technical (I did not understand the reply) & then defensive in nature, IMHO. Hay! I like SAS & it's currently guarding my system, I also purchased a lifetime contract, I also bought SuperAd.

This antispyware testing site looks very impressive, to a non professional like me. So a few things I do not understand are:

1. The folks at that site seem pretty bright, so what motive would they have for skewing the results? Are they getting paid to have certain apps. at the top of the list?

2. This thread mentions 'honey-pot' a few times, (this will show my knowledge) where/what in there testing methodology alludes, or tips one off that there are indeed using a honey pot?

3. Is there an alternative 'fair' testing site for antispyware. Currently the only one I know is 'spyware warrior.c o m'

4. Has anyone invited 'Antivirus Malware-Test Labs' to lookin on this thread (make them aware of harsh criticism) if they are indeed trying to be legitimate testing sight perhaps some of the thoughts here could be useful for them, to improve.

I found 'AV Comparatives' very helpful in making an informed decision for purchase of my current AV, & this is what I'd like to see for AS's.

Quite awhile back I bought 'Pest Patrol' as somebody claimed this is the best, I ended up dumping it too many 'false positives' for me. Next

I purchased 'Spysweeper' I liked this one, till version 5. Next

I purchased 'AvgAS' I liked this one, but became suspicious, as it never found anything (perhaps this more a testament to my education at Wilders) on my computer. Also some PC magazine trashed AVG/AS. Next

I won a copy of SAS, at 'Calander of Updates' & it's currently at work, along with SuperAD. The purchased SAS given as an Xmas gift

Now I use AvgAS on demand & SAS real time. SAS uses alot more memory than AvgAS. So seeing the results of 'Antivirus Malware-Test' I was tempted to put AvgAS back to 'real-time' & SAS on demand. Thinking I would save a bunch of memory & have better protection. Next

This thread!

Confused in Azusao_O o_O

Take Care
    Rico

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Nothing but a smile after reading this report.. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.