ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Re: ProSecurity v1.23 released![FREE/PAID]

I'm quite busy now so I contact to you tomorrow. I hope that we can fix this problem because I really like this program. BTW is there any differences between free and paid version?

2. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

no problem, thank you in advance!

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am not a HIPS believer. But due to the overwhelming response to ProSecurity, I like to give it a test run. I will face a challenge; I am using DeepFreeze(sandbox/virtual), and run everything(except update,installations) within Frozen state. ProSecurity is no exception. Each single allow/deny or Yes/no to each prompt will be erased upon reboot, just resembling to building sand castle on beach and then been swept clean by next wave. I could have used ProSecurity outside DF(ie,within unfreeze state) without this worry, but this would beat the purpose of having a sandbox/virtual app. Therefore, this is a catch-22 situation, d.. you do and d... you don't. Any adviceo_O?

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Nothing can beat a frozen state PC. Although most people would find that too bad. I love vmware to be like this :) best for testing since nothing ever is unfixable. My self i prefer a good HIPS for my main pc

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Why don't you run it unfrozen, teach all of the rules to ProSecurity, then reboot in a frozen state ;)

Alphalutra1

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I also use DeepFreeze. I have heard that there are certain types of malwares, such as keyloggers, that can do bad stuff even while computer is in frozen state. Therefore, I guess it's not a bad idea to leave my HIPS & AV running even when computer is in frozen status. Right?

7. MikeNAS

I just installed 1.22.1 Paid Trial version and everything is ok after installation. Then I reboot and again same problem. I killed all ProSecurity processes and waiting my "network computer" (I don't know the right name, hope you know what I mean) icons coming to the taskbar and the start ProSecurity manually -> everything is ok. So maybe the problem is long startup time of those "network computer" icons (is is some service?). I tried this idea with the latest version but it gave me same error.

8. MikeNAS

I disabled my Intel Wireless 3945ABG and reboot. After reboot it takes still long time that my Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx icon come to the task bar.ProSecurity intilizing that time and immediatelly after icon came it started normally.

Now we have to solve this problem?! Any ideas why it takes so long time to start to icons/services/etc.?

EDIT1: Hope you understand what I mean. My english is so bad...

EDIT2: I Googled that slow startup but can't find any idea to fix it.

9. MikeNAS

Now I have solution for that problem:

slow boot = Windows networking service looking for other computers in network which causes ProSecurity error. There are 2 solutions but those limit some network possibilities.

1. Uncheck File and Print Sharing in NIC properties. <- Fast boot

2. Disable Workstation service (more network problems). <- Very fast boot.

Can someone else try these if it helps?

EDIT: Just realized that my problems started when I add Linksys BEFSR81 (8-ports) between DSL modem (1-port) and my laptop.

-MikeNAS

10. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your testing, I know why you get those errors now, we will fix this asap.

11. MikeNAS

Disabling Workstation gives me lots of problems but unchecking File and Print Sharing is enough too. Still I have to disable my wireless NIC but it's not so big problem because I use it rarely.

EDIT1: I'm glad that I can still use this awesome program. Thanks!

EDIT2: BTW If I now like to buy this program can I get that 30% bug report discount?

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i am glad we are ironing this out piece by piece. I knew what was causing it, but i did not know what was causing the cause :D so when we know why services are slow i guess it will be all fixed ;)

13. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your liking, I'm very glad you like it.
    No problem, please send us an email or register on our forum at first. Thanks!

14. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

15. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Any update on possible discounts for folks who own other HIPS programs?

Thanks.

16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i personally am not sure, but i know he thought it was a good idea, i will find out for you when he is on and ask him to post here with his intentions

17. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

That's right! A frozen state wont protect you from everything (especially not DeepFreeze as it doesn't prevent untrusted apps from gaining access to anything they want on your system.). A HIPS + FW + AV will fill in most of the holes. The frozen state should be your last layer of defense, just incase something does manage to slip through. Well anyways, I don't want to get off topic, we're here to talk about ProSecurity but I just wanted to give you a quick answer to your question ;)

18. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Deepfreeze is a good program, but watch out for the clowns who are now running Unfreeze, a program developed by someone named Emiliano in Argentina. It can thaw all the versions of Deepfreeze including the current one.

Faronics lab is aware of Unfreeze but have done nothing to date to fix it, and Unfreeze has been around for a while.

*EDIT* CORRECTION: Apparently this thing with Unfreeze been fixed in the latest version of Deepfreeze.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  19. PSDeveloper

Re: ProSecurity 1.24 released!

ProSecurity 1.24 released!

What's new? December 02, v1.24
    ---------------------------------------
    1. [New][BOTH] Enforce protection function for application rules.
    2. [New][BOTH] Warning box can been disabled.
    3. [New][BOTH] The delay time of warning box buttons configable.
    4. [Fix][BOTH] Self protection function.
    5. [Fix][BOTH] A bug may cause BSOD.
    6. [Improve][BOTH] The driver starts earlier.(This will fix that "can't communicate with driver" bug too)

The online update will be effective hours later.

If you want to download directly, please access here:
    http://www.proactive-hips.com/download.php

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  20. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I downloaded it, unchecked the learn process, after reboot Windows was no more able to read his own activation and quit from working. Then I disabled this HIP, evrything works fine again.

21. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You should have read the doc + info here a little further to learn how to work with it before trying, just like with any other piece of software.

You have to reboot with PS in learning mode to let it set the adequate basic rules for your system!!!

So, it is perfectly expected not to let it run otherwise since you have not done it...

Might this just be the Lodore syndrome again??... :D :D :D

22. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I noticed with PS 1.24 even with saved rules you have to reboot in learning mode. I had system freeze with learning mode turned off after reboot.

Rick

EDIT: Had to uninstall in safe mode and reinstall in normal mode. Everything is working prefectly now.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  23. PSDeveloper

If you have installed version 1.23 or use the old exported rules, please reboot with safe mode at first, this because from this version ProSecurity starts more earlier than before, so it's possible that some service programs can't work well with old rules.

24. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Version 1.24 causes some problem at the installation. I reported about it at the Prosecurity forum (username jo_Kerr).

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Re: ProSecurity v1.24 released! [as of Dec 2, 2006]

I prefer not to read manuals, I like to test without further knowledge.
    It´s much more direct, intuitive and creative.

Beside you should create a system that recognizes unadequate behaviour of users related to your software, in case windows boot is endangered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.