v10 Rescue CD - Backup - No Burners shown

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimshu1, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

I spent a half an hour searching the forum for info. on this before posting. Maybe I'm not a good searcher.

After booting from the v10 rescue CD and choosing the "Full" option, I discovered this on two different systems: a desktop and a laptop:

On both systems, choosing the Recovery operation, all optical drives appeared as you would expect. I can restore from any of my optical drives.

On both systems, choosing the Backup operation, no optical drives are shown even though there are two different burners in the desktop and one, again different brand, in the laptop.

Booting into the "Safe" option, no optical drives appear in either system whether or not Recovering or Backing up.

Booting from the v9 b2337 rescue CD and choosing "Full" option, all optical drives are available in Recovery or Backup (of course, only the burners show in Backup).

Burners:

Laptop CD-RW: TEAC CD-W28E 8x8x24 (Laptop is an IBM ThinkPad T23, undocked)

Desktop CD-RW: ASUS Model CRW-5232A3

Desktop DVD-RW: NEC ND-3500A

Desktop MB: ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE. Latest BIOS 1023.

Looks like burning directly to CD-R or DVD-R isn't possible for me with v10 Rescue CD on two of my systems. Got another one to try it on.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Think twice before burning your backup directly to dvd. It is a very slow process. Use another drive (internal or external) for backups. Then if you want you can burn the backup image to dvd. This is referred to as the 2-step method by forum members. It does take a little planning ahead however, since you have to split the backup images into suitable dvd slices.

3. jimshu1

Agreed. I always use the two step with one exception: I always burn a full disk image with a brand new system so that I can restore to that state if I sell or turn in that system.

I don't even boot up a new commercial system, I go into BIOS and make sure the optical drive boots first, stick in the Ghost or TI boot CD and image. Then I follow that with PartitonMagic and completely wipe all of the lousy crap off of my new hard drive so I can build the system up the way I want.

Takes a bit of work to download all of the needed drivers and software first, but it is worth it to me. I hate new system configurations. Luckily, I only have to break in laptops this way. I build my desktops.

Anyway, v10 is suppose to be able to do this and two of my systems say it doesn't. I'm getting a new work laptop in three weeks and am planning it's re-birth as "my" laptop. That's my only interest, as I like to turn old laptops into IT exactly the way they gave it to me. I like their puzzled look when they boot it up.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimshu1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please try the following workaround?

- Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Bootable CD created with the build 4871 and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.

- After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stops scrolling and you get Bussy Box shell and # prompt issue the following command:

product

When the GUI (Graphical User Interface) loaded please check the functionality of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If the issue persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. jimshu1

Thanks, but I went back to v9 b2337 over a week ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.