Acronis True Image SLOW...REALLY SLOW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 707782, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 707782

707782 Registered Member

Can somebody help me out how to fix the problem?

Before, I have a old AMD 1.1ghz machine, and it only takes about 6 minutes to restore a 9G image.

Now, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo machine, and it takes me 1 hours just to restore 7g image.

I'm using V8. I already tried V9, and it takes one hour also.

2. Shootist

Shootist Registered Member

First how are you restoring the image, I.E. is it on a network drive? A USB 2 drive connected directly to the system? OR What.
    When I use a network drive restores take forever. I bought a USB 2 drive and restores take 10-20 minute.

3. 707782

707782 Registered Member

I restored it from one partion to another using the same disk.

And also, last time when I cancel the restore task when it's in process, I can't boot up to window anymore, my old partition is deleted, so I had to reinstall windows again, and lost all my data. Is there someway that I can cancel the task without losing the partition?

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Because TI works at the sector level, there is no way that once started your partition can be left intact.

The only way TI could even attempt to do this is to load everything into a virtual drive or restore to a folder and then by some jiggery pokery change the MFT and directory list. Even then once started everything would be lost.

As far as the time is concerned, just check that the USB ports you are using are USB2.0 ones. Some MB's like mine might boast 8 USB's but 2 of those are USB1.1. Sometimes I plug devices into my front ports and the device works at 1.1, but if I plug it into the rear ports it always runs at 2.0.

So, I'd try plugging your external drive into a different port, also check your BIOS to see if it auto switches between 1.1 and 2.0 devices or if it is hard wired.

Colin

5. 707782

707782 Registered Member

BTW, it's internal disk.

I just tried version 10, and it's even worse, I can't even load the software using their bootable rescue media CD.

6. Shootist

That is why it is taking so long. Everytime I use the restore feature it deletes all my pre-made partitions and uses what is in the image I am restoring.
    IMHO storing a image on the same physical drive that the image was created from, and or using the Acronis secure zone is not a good thing to do. If that physical disk fails then not only have you lost your OS and programs but you have lost all the images of it. Get a USB 2 external drive and save the images to that. You will find the restores take a short time when restoring from a USB 2 external drive.
    NO there is no way with TI to save the partition info when you are doing a full restore.

7. 707782

707782 Registered Member

Well, I don't think you understand what my problem is, and what you actually telling me to do is making the problem more complicate.

Before, I'm also using the same disk to creat the image, and restore it with a 5x slower pc, and it only takes about 6 minutes to restore a bigger file, and now it takes 1 hours to restore a smaller file with a faster pc, do you understand that's the problemo_O

I guess the only difference is that this pc is brand new, so every hardware is basically new and faster, such as ATA HD to SATA HD, new processor, new mb, and etc.

8. Shootist

OK it Probably has something to do with the new hardware. Most Core 2 Duo systems use the new P965 Intel chipset and to my knowledge NO version of TI has the proper drivers for the SATA controller. I ran into this with my new system, a C2D E6600 with a Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard. The TI boot recue disk wouldn't even see the drives. I needed to make a BartPE boot disk and load the Intel chipset/SATA controller drivers on it and use a plugin for TI 9. I'm not sure if even TI 10 has the correct drivers for the new Intel chips.
    Knowing Acronis I doubt it.

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I think it is the Core Duo architecture. Recently I was checking out a Core Duo laptop for someone and was making an image of it after cleaning out all the bloatware and crapware that comes with all new systems. (Ver. 9 build 3677 bootable CD). It did seem to me that it took longer to make the image (to a usb external) compared to my laptop which is an AMD standard core one. I don't have exact times, but yes, definitely longer for the core duo.

10. 707782

707782 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm also guessing it's the new hardware, I do not think Aronis has the drivers supported for the latest hardware such as C2D, and SATA 3.0...

It would be nice if the support would give us the exact answer.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 707782,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home build 4871 does not provide support for Intel's Core 2 Duo (Intel® 965 Express Chipset). However, please note that we are going to include the appropriate drivers into the future builds of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. I'm sorry, but at the moment the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

At this moment I would recommend that you collect the following information:

- Please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the hard drives you use;

- Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Confirmation of your purchase of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home (invoice, receipt or a serial number).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request. We will investigate it and provide you with a special ISO image of the Acronis True Image Bootable CD that works on your particular hardware configuration.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE allowing you to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in your computer at startup.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

are you tellin me that the software i buy it will not work hith my Asus P5W DH DELUXE and Core2 6600..... and maybe you should look on this topic another problem whith TI 10 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151380

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bm1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that as I said in my previous post we will include the appropriate drivers into the future builds of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. Since the current build 4871 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home does not include necessary drivers, the information I have requested in the post above will allow us to create a special ISO image of the Acronis True Image Bootable CD that works on your particular hardware configuration. Therefore, please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate it and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, the hardware is too new to have the right drivers built into ATI yet, however, they're offering to custom make a version for you. Ain't that service?

15. regnim

regnim Registered Member

Well, I have a Asus P5W DH DELUXE and Core2 6600 and I have backed up and restored to USB and hard disk using TI Home v9 3677 with no problem at all. 4 gb in under 2 minuites to hard disk and about 10 min to USB2. Works okay under windows and Linux and I have a raid 0 for the OS and raid 1 for the backup disk all off the ICHR7. I also tried the bootable CD with the on board Silicon Image controller and The JMicron controller and they work fine as well.

16. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Registered Member

Will this also be an issue with DD 10? I have a new Dell XPS 410 Core 2 Duo E6600 with 2 SATA drives and I seem to be having some minor quirks with both Partition Magic 8 and Ghost 9. I am considering switching over to Acronis products instead, but I need to be sure that TI & DD will both work FLAWLESSLY.

17. pazure

pazure Registered Member

The problem you are having most likely is to do with USB.

Make sure in your BIOS, you've got USB 2.0 enabled and that it is set to High Speed. I think the other choice will be something like Full Speed. This will make a huge difference in the speed. I recently flashed my BIOS, forgot to re-enable the USB settings and grew old watching the restore taking place.

18. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Registered Member

When you have TI run, do you set the Priority to HIGH? I do and it seems to make a big difference. I have no problem with not touching the computer while the image is being created.

19. Nahemoth

Nahemoth Registered Member

I have your same hardware and true image home v9 3677, but when I try to backup my raid system to another sata drive, the entire process is very slow. I use the recovery CD. Anyone knows what is happening? Thanks.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.