Unable to specify number of backups before new master created

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Melsworld, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melsworld

Melsworld Registered Member

Hi,

Running version 10 of TI according to instructions I should be able to do the following - see excerpt from the heading
    in the instructions for creating a backup

When starting a fresh backup the wizard does not give me the option of creating either differential or incremental backups unless I have a master so how does the above work when I cannot seem to select it

I have tried running incremental or diffrential backups on an existing master but again whilst it happily does the backup it does not give me the options quoted above

Anybody got thoughts on what I am doing wrong here?

Mel:doubt:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. pedrover

pedrover Registered Member

3. Melsworld

I still don't get it, I must be loosing it as old age starts to creep up on me:oops:

Having read the thread I am still confused

So lets use the following as an example:

I created a backup on an external hard drive the folder name is called mytest

The back up was set as a one off as I could not get the options to show to allow me to make x number of backups before a new master was created

The one thing I do agree with is that the documentation is very bad, lets hope my support request is answered at some stage in the next 24hrs, although I will not hold my breath as a pre-sales question sent last week still has not been replied to - this I suppose should have set alarm bells ringing!

Anyway I digress can anybody walk me through this so I can get to these options ? it would be much appreciated

Thanks - Mel:doubt:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Melsworld,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that backup policies are available when you schedule a backup task to create image archive to Backup locations only.

If you do not use scheduled task but create backups using Backup Wizard and store backup to the Backup Location, the selected location will be checked and, if any limitation is exceeded, the oldest backups will be consolidated or deleted.

Please find more information on how to use Backup Location in this thread

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. vassalmm

vassalmm Registered Member

I too am having problems with this functionality. I have read all the post related to this issue and still no luck. I have a scheduled task defined that uses a backup location. The task is setup to create an initial full backup with 4 differentials.

I run the scheduled task manually and it always creates a new differential even after the differential limit is reached. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

6. Melsworld

I cannot even get it to allow me so set how many differentials that I want, I have yet to see the box that is supposed to allow you to set how many differntial backups to be made before a new master is created and after nearly 10 days of waiting Acronis support has come back with the following answer as to how to get the menu - which clearly indicates to me that they did not understand my question

Totally not impressed with the software and even less impressed with the support from Acronis - in fact what I think about the support is not printable!

See below their answer

----------

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that one is not able to create differential or incremental backup without a full one.

Also please be aware that if one would like to run backup policy he/she has to save backup to backup location or to create the backup with help of the scheduler.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support
    Knowledge Base at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/.

--
    Best regards,
    Sergey Lyskin

-------- END OF THEIR ANSWER ----

Now that is what I call really helpfull I don't think:thumbd: o_O

Mel:(

7. vassalmm

vassalmm Registered Member

In doing more testing I found that a new full is created after the specified number of differentials unless you abort the new full. In testing when a new full was bring created and then, aborted, acronis would then go on to create differentials for the previous full until the directory was cleared out.

8. Melsworld

I cannot even get to specify the number of differentials, how did you manage to specify the amount of differentials - I know that you are supposed to be able to but I cannot get the panel to show up?

What route or procedure did you take to allow you to specifiy the number of differentials

Mel:(

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Melsworld,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I'm sorry for Sergey Lyskin reply, he was not accurate enough in explanation.

Let me explain the actions you should perform in order to set Backup Polices in more details.

1) Create Backup Location (Chapter 7. "Backup location management' in Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide);

2) Start to create a scheduled task (Chapter 8. "Scheduling tasks");

3) When the Schedule Task Wizard prompts you to select the place to store the backup archive you should select the created Backup Location (or another existing Backup Location) the way described in this screen shot (from the Backup Location section in drives tree). Please pay attention to the fact that no file name required if you store backup to Backup Location.

The next window will be Backup Policy. Here you will be able to choose the most suitable backup policy for backing up.

I hope this explanation will help you to create scheduled task successfully.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. Melsworld

Hi Aleksandr,

No the reply does not really resolve my problem,

If you look at section 8.1 of the manual your are suppossed to be
    given a choice of three options

1. Full back up

2. Full backups with specified number of incremental backups

3. Full backups with specicied number of diffrential backups

As I understand it there should be a box that allows you to specifiy how many
    differential or incrementals you make before creating a new full back up

This box does not come up

I can choose either differential or incremenatal but I do not have
    a box
    where I can specifiy the number of incrementals or differentials

I am backing up to an external hard drive with 3 folders one for each of my 3 partitions that I want to regularly back up

Regards - Mel

11. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Mel,

You wrote:
    I am backing up to an external hard drive with 3 folders one for each of my 3 partitions that I want to regularly back up

Have you set up these folders as Backup Locations using the "Create and Configure Backup Locations" option?

12. Melsworld

Hi CatFan432,

Yes and I also tried creating the folders on the external hard drive manually and pointed the task scheduler to them - still no joy

Mel

13. CatFan432

Mel,

This repeats somewhat another post, but it's worth a try:

If you set up your Backup Location folder, on drive “D” for example, when you are setting up your scheduled backup, and designating where you want it to go to, you need to find “Backup Locations” on the file tree and send it there. Look towards the very top of the file tree. The folder will also be visible under “D” on the file tree, do not send it there.

If you are sending it to a valid Backup Location, you should see, in the folder box where you would enter a file name, in grayed out text, the following: “No file name is required in this area”. If you don’t see “No file name is required in this area” you are not designating the Backup Location and will not see the prompts you are looking for on the next screen.

Edit: Your image file names should be in this basic format: 2006_11_03_14_18_43_453D.TIB
    This is ATI’s format, and if yours are names you chose and not similar to this, then you have not picked the Backup Location correctly for your files.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  14. Melsworld

15. CatFan432

Mel,

Glad to help, I went down the trial and error path to figure out the backups.

I know of no way to schedule such frequent backups on ATI, but there are many much more knowledgeable posters in this forum. If you're backing up data files that frequently, you might consider looking into a synchronization program as opposed to a backup. Many of those have features to synchronize your files "on the fly", as the files show changes.

CatFan

16. Melsworld

CatFan,

Interesting thought about sychronization programs

Could also put it forward as a suggestion to Acronis for
    their next version

In the menatime I will run a series of scheduled backups

Have a good weekend

Mel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.