I'm looking for a new HIPS program...any advice?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

My pc is a 3Ghz Athlon with 1gb of RAM with a Radeon X700 Pro Graphics card. Although it's not high end I am sure it is definitely well within the recommended system spec required to run OA. I can run all the latest games on it. If you are not a gamer, trust me when I say that these modern games(Oblivion, Doom3, Half Life 2) need a fair bit of power to run. Certainly far more than OA would need, and I can run those games no problem.

I can only presume it must be a clash with software on my system. the only software I have run constantly while OA was installed are Zonealarm, BOClean, Regrun and KAV. The only one out of these I could even remotely think could cause conflict is Regrun. As it's a polling app(set to poll every 1 minute), I just don't see it. May ask Mike to look into for me as i'd ideally like to run OA AND Prevx together.

muf

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Try looking up the definition of fail-safe such as HITHER and THITHER.

I do NOT expect SSM to fail. It is well-protected against (for instance) termination. But is SSM 100% perfectly protected? 100% bullet-proof from termination? o_O

Another *somewhat* synonymous name for fail-safe is "layering". As an example, the antivirus program I use has *internal processes* which guard it against termination. Even so, I have set SSM to protect my AV program from termination. Over & above that, I also have set SSM so that SSM will re-start my AV if my AV is terminated.

Thus, my AV protects itself from termination, and SSM ALSO protects my AV against termination, and SSM ALSO re-activates my AV in the event that my AV & SSM both fail to prevent my AV's termination.

Despite all that, I still do stuff like disabling my connection when I'm not actually sitting at the keyboard.

Am I paranoid? Obviously, yes. The question remains -- am I paranoid enough?:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.