PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Beta Program

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technic

Technic Registered Member

New beta is available now (for regional testing, europe).

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Technic
    Sorry but this is old. The regionals where allready available. I tested it and I must say Trend is improving.

Now waiting for the trendsecure regionals

3. Technic

Technic Registered Member

PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007 beta EN-UK is just released. ;)

4. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

P cillin internet security 2007 is released.

Here are the excerpts from their website:
    Pc cillin internet securityTrendSecure ™ additional security software and online services
    Transaction Guard™ protects your online transactions conducted at Internet Cafes or other public wireless hotspots.
    Remote File Lock™ safeguards your private files in case your laptop is lost or stolen.
    Trend Micro Mobile Security protects your cell phone against viruses and other threats.
    Operating Systems:

Windows™ XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 1 or 2
    Windows™ 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4
    Windows™ XP Media Center Edition 2004 or 2005
    Windows™ XP Tablet PC Edition 2004 or 2005

Hardware:
    Intel™ Pentium™ 350Hz, or equivalent processor
    Intel™ Hyper-Threading and Dual Core CPU compatible
    RAID 0 (Striping) or RAID 1 (Mirroring or Duplexing) compatible

Required Web Browser:

Microsoft™ Internet Explorer™ 5.5 or 6.0, with Service Pack 2
    Compatible Web Browsers:

AOL™ Browser 9.0 Security Edition
    Mozilla™ Firefox™ 1.5
    Netscape™ 7.2
    Required Memory:

128MB RAM minimum (256MB recommended)
    Required Disk Space

250MB hard disk space available for installation
    Compatible Email Software:

Microsoft™ Outlook Express™ 6.0 with Service Pack 2
    Microsoft™ Outlook™ 2000, 2002, or 2003
    Netscape™ 7.2
    Becky! Internet Mail 2.0
    Eudora™ 6.2
    Mozilla™ Thunderbird™ 1.5
    Compatible Web-Based Email Services:

AOL™ Mail
    MSN™ Hotmail™
    Yahoo!™ Mail
    Compatible Instant Messaging Services:

AOL™ Instant Messenger™ (AIM) 5.9
    ICQ 5 and ICQ Lite
    MSN™ Messenger 7.5
    Windows™ Messenger 4.7

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

thanks for d info

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I downloaded TMIS 2007 and installed it this morning. It accepted my reg key for TMIS 2006 with no problem, the trouble with the 2007 version is it is the biggest resource hog I have ever seen in a security app. As most members know by now I try and test many many security programs a month and including all of the security programs I have tested in the last two years TMIS 2007 is in a league of it's own on high resource use. Needless to say I removed it very soon after installiation. Trend Micro has really taken a step backwards in my opinion with this version.

7. Legendkiller

it was okay during beta testing wid my pc,i will try this one,coz now i have a new pc wid me.

8. Legendkiller

sorry bigc,as i said b4,pcc 2007 is working with no issue here.

i think,there something which doesn't go to well with pc-cillin.

9. bigc73542

TM proxy alone was useing 90mb's. and all of the other process relating to Pc-Cillin consume almost 300mb's total, that is more than the rest of my computer uses with everything combined. I have never used any security app that inhales resources like that. If you can use it that is great but it won't be back on my computer anytime soon.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Even the 2006 security suite seemed to use quite a lot of resources imo. Tmproxy always consumed around 60-70mb alone, then add the other components and it was well over a 100mb. 2007 sounds unbelieveably hungry, defeinitely not good for older systems.

11. Legendkiller

strange tmproxy is using 36mb here...there must some compatibilty or some issue there with ur pc and pc-cillin.

12. bigc73542

Whats funny is that TMIS 2006 runs on this comp fairly light, not as light as most av's but fairly light. Nothing like the hungry 2007 version. Like I said, if you are able to use it thats great but I have better alternatives that don't eat so much.

13. farmerlee

It always seems to be using around 64mb of ram on my sisters computer (p4 3ghz, 512mb ram). Thats very strange indeed.

14. farmerlee

It always seems to be using around 64mb of ram on my sisters computer (p4 3ghz, 512mb ram). I upgraded it from 2005 to 2006 so maybe that has something to do with it, very strange indeed.

15. Legendkiller

i dunno,about how the ram usage changes from a 512mb ram computer to 1gb one.

but as i said earlier,it use to work well even when i had 1.7ghz,512mb ram computer a few weeks back.

don't worry,there must be something on ur pc not working well with pc-cillin 2007.

there are other good alternatives..

16. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Registered Member

TMIS 2007 is officially launched, and the "TrendSecure" part is also online now.

Really cool features and tools they have.

17. Legendkiller

i will check,thanks

18. Arin

Arin Registered Member

The update center seems to have TMIS 2007 for US, Canada, Australia
    and NZ only. so where is the version for 'other countries'? i called their
    local office for India and they were clueless.

19. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Anyone got their comp. license from the 2007 beta yet? I got an email thanking me for the submission of the test scripts, and to contact them if I had any other concerns. Almost a week later I've yet to hear back from the email I sent back.

20. chrisjackson1985

chrisjackson1985 Former Poster

hello im new to this place... great forum, just what ive been looking for.

i am using the latest NEW trend micro 2007, and am currently LOVING the software, its great although they have NOT improved the ram usage, the software is a whole lot better.

remaining ram on my computer:

kaspersky suite - 936mb free
    trend micro - 797mb free

but,

you will all agree i still have loads of ram left, so nothing to worry about and i prefer the new trend when compared to other leading security suppliers.

also,

my machine runs a whole lot faster, is this because its using more of my ram, intending to make my machine operate faster? ...honestly i dont know, but i am loving it.

definatly the best version to date, good work.

Attached Files:

21. chrisjackson1985

hi, sorry to double post but ive just seen this:

http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm

Norton Personal Firewall 2006 (v. 9.0.0.73) failed
    McAfee Personal Firewall Plus (v. 7.0.152) failed
    Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (v. 4.2.3) failed
    Zone Alarm Pro 6 (v. 6.1.744.001) failed
    Outpost Firewall Pro (v. 3.51.748.6419) failed
    Kaspersky Anti-Hacker (v. 1.8.180.0) failed
    Windows XP built-in firewall failed
    Tiny Desktop Firewall 2005 Pro (v. 6.5.126) passed

trend 2007 quarentined the leaktest automatically immediatly after download, could not even run it. yayyy, this is what i like, very very impressed

Attached Files:

22. Saw11_2000

I'm not sure that I actually liked how TMIS handled that.

It blocked the specific file, not the behavior. So, if another program was made that did the same thing, without the name, TMIS might not detect it. Sounds like what BlackIce did with GRC.com's leaktest.

23. chrisjackson1985

its a good thing.......

mcafee detects leaktests aswell and removes them, im more worried about the others than let you run them. o_O

24. Saw11_2000

Well, if you think about it, the antivirus part of the suite deleting the leaktest is good, only if it can delete all the leaktests (as in the true Trojans and Spyware). Remember, the leaktests test the firewalls to make sure they don't allow access where they shouldn't...and TMIS 2007 does AMAZINGLY well at that, especially comparing to previous versions. However, I usually turn off antivirus and antispyware scanning, because they may not detect malware 100% of the time.

25. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

Folks, I am completely new here. Have read posts before but never posted.
    This seemed the best spot to share my experiences so far (and that of a friend) with the 2007 release of the PC Cillin suite. As a disclaimer, I am a very experienced computer user, but light years from any variety of computer expert. I did not participate in the beta program, but did download the first release about 8 days ago.

PC Cillin in various forms has served me well for many years. Virtually no conflicts. Got along with Spysweeper. Did not, in the past, slow down my system much at all. My system has a 3.19G prcessor and a couple gigs of ram.

I read a "since closed "thread that included some debate over the new release. My particular experience has been a little different from all the others I read. A friend of mine had the almost identical experiences on a different system. Tech has not been able to unravel the problems for either of us...and we have done the uninstall and reinstall mambo a couple times. (including complete uninstalls of spysweeper to see if that was causing any problems...it really wasn't)And all sorts of scans for viruses. PC Cillin's own...free kaspersky and free bit defender...all completely clean.

Even though we never set a password, we are getting almost random requests for a password when we navigate various settings. Sometimes it happens...sometimes it doesn't.

Very slow to load. Very. But that varies too.

Every now and then I will run an experimental scan, and once it went nowhere for an hour...lol....but that has only happened once.

Heavy palmprint on both RAM ( as many other posters mentioned) and also on the CPU during scans - varing from 20 to 95% usage. ( everybody else seemed to avoid that problem) If I try to go browse on my 20M connection while a full scan is running, initially I will have to wait a long long time just top get to my homepage....then everything gets fairly snappy again.

A random message every now and then that PC Cillin can't read my configuration. The suddenly it can again.

All sort of heavy, slow, and and disquieting.

The firewall performance and spyware component seem to have most definitely improved. Always aggravated me that they did not include their best antispyware in the suite previously. The resiodent antispam capability of Microft Office Outlook 2003 is very good, so I do not use Cillin's anti spam component.

Await test results to see if their detection rate has improved from "just solid". Though the variance of test results between different sources and different times amazes me. Not quite sure who to trust, and clearly so much is in flux nowadays....secuity seems all "fluxed" up too often <g>

My subscription runs out in March. From tech comments, I think they are aware of the early bugginess of the software, because many new downloads are arriving daily. I'll hang with this awhile longer and see how it all progresses. Kinda eyeballing the Kaspersky suite right now, but may end up sticking with TM.

I do agree with the general sentiment of one poster, think it was Big C, who said the only completely secure computers were unplugged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.