Archive is corrupt: E00070020

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TrulyTessa, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrulyTessa

TrulyTessa Registered Member

Was doing a Windows update last night and system crashed, leaving it damaged. Decided to reinstate an Acronis backup of my entire system in order to repair the damage. The back up is on an external USB drive.

I commence the full restoration and about 10 minutes into the process I get error E00070020, my archive is corrupt.

Reboot system, but my screen tells me I now have no operating system. (Thanks Acronis.)

Try rescue disk, still get told I have no operating system.

Frustrated.

Any ideas on what to do to get my backup installed?

Thanks

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I always verify my backup files BEFORE restoration. ATI does that automatically. I assume that in case the verification fails, ATI will stop the restoration, which means that your system partition won't be deleted.

I also have 7 backup files of my system partition, one for each day of the week. If one fails, I have still 6 others.

If your system partition is deleted, you will need the Acronis Rescue CD to restore your system partition and hopefully you have more than one .tib-file.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Not to scare you, but the only time I had a corrupted image was due to a motherboard defect.
    The image was probably fine.

This leaves me with the questions: why did your Windows installation crash after updates (I did these updates too, without problems) and is your image really corrupt?
    Are you able to run a verify (not recover, just verify) on another system?

4. TrulyTessa

ErikAlbert, ATI definitely didn't automatically do the check before the recovery, because I didn't do anything different from the default.

I was incorrect, the rescue CD works, but it gives me the same error message.

wilbertnl, I hope your motherboard experience isn't an omen here. :eek:

I'll look into whether a verify works on another system. I guess I'll first have to install Acronis on that other system.

I think I'll also see if I can get a more recent rescue CD. I've just learned that my build of ATI 9.0 is out of date (build 2,259).

Not having a good day.

Thanks for your help.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I was actually thinking of starting the rescue disk on another system and check the image on your USB drive from there.
    No installation needed.
    That your release is outdated shouldn't matter, I think, since it worked before. Right?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, that's because you didn't change the following settings.

Open Acronis True Image

1. Click on Tools/Options/Default backup options/Additional settings
    Mark the option "Validate backup archive upon its creation completion"

2. Click on Tools/Options/Default restoration options/Additional settings
    Mark the option "Validate backup archive before restoration"

All this will verify your backup files (.tib) automatically AFTER creation and BEFORE restoration.
    This will increase backup and restore time, but as I always say "Nothing but the best for my backup and restoration."

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

As you have access to another computer this is what I suggest.
    1. Download and install the current build 3677 of TI.
    2. Create a new TI rescue CD.
    3. Use this rescue cd on your original computer to restore your image from the USB drive. My own choice would be not to waste time running a validation as part of the restore process, that was done previously, cleared the drive of data anyway.

Now if you are up and running again, which you should be, remove the installation of TI that you made to the other computer. Uninstall TI on your original computer and either copy the 3677 install file across or download it again and install. The fresh CD you had just made will still work on the original computer.

It is most unusual for a Microsoft download to cause the sort of damage you seem to have suffered. So there remains a possibility that you may have some more trouble shooting to do :-((

Xpilot

8. TrulyTessa

ErikAlbert, thanks for the tip -- I will follow those instructions judiciously in future!

wilbertnl, thanks for clarifying that no installation is required.

What I've done is essentially a hybrid of what Xpilot and wilbertnl suggested, thanks folks. I've created an ISO image of a more modern version of ATI. I'm using that to see if I can restore the backup. So far, I've surpassed the point where the software normally tells me that my archive is corrupt. So fingers crossed, please-pretty-please, that this is a good sign that my restoration will be successful.

In the interest of full-disclosure (and perhaps to save others from making a similarly painful mistake) I should mention that a week ago, I ignored a warning sign that I really should have taken very seriously. I was attempting to back up a single file, as a test. I found that the restore software didn't work (* warning sign * !!!! HELLO !!! ) but I could use brute force to sort of cut & paste the file to work around the problem. I let ATI support know, and they told me to update to a more modern build.

I was busy, yada yada yada, I figured I'd do it later, big mistake. I should have updated that very moment.

Instead, when I needed the restore to work (today, yes emergencies happen when they are least convenient), I found myself in this bind.

51 minutes remaining on my so-far-successful restore operation. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks for the assistance gang. You're the best.

TrulyTessa

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  9. TrulyTessa

Victory!

Whew, the restoration worked!

The first thing I'm going to do is install an up-to-date version of ATI, and do a full system back up (after changing the settings, as ErikAlbert suggested).

Thanks again. You've all been a great help.

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Right on time !

11. clogs

clogs Registered Member

I experience the same problem. I have backed up my harddrive using the latest build of ATI. I have also created a rescue disk using the same build.

This weekend I had a major hard-disk disaster, and the only solution was to rebuild the hard-drive. When trying to restore the complete backed-up partition (which resides on an external harddisk connected through USB), it failed with error E00070020 (and the partition was gone too!). This backup was also created with the latest build of ATI.

I have done done all I could think of to rectify the situation, but to no avail. I am now thinking about reinstalling Windows and starting all over. To me, that's a waste of my time. If I buy a piece of software, I expect it to work! Any suggestions, anyone?

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Can you mount or validate your USB archive on another computer ? if so all is not lost.
    You could then try booting your computer with a Bart PE with TI plug in and try the restore from that boot.

13. clogs

clogs Registered Member

Yes, I can mount my USB drive on my laptop and validate the archive there. You lost me at the bit that says "Bart PE with TI plug' though. I do appreciate any help I can get!

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The Bart PE CD with TIplug in can be created and be used instead of the standard TI rescue CD. The reason it may work better is that it uses Windows drivers instead of the Linux drivers on the TI CD.

I have just re-read your post and note that you are trying to restore a partition, not a complete HDD. How have you tried to do the restore so far? If it not the System partition you should be able to restore it while still booted in Windows and not use the rescue CD at all.

15. clogs

clogs Registered Member

I am trying to restore the boot (system) partition. I fail to see why I cannot use the TI rescue disk. Isn't the whole purpose of buying software that you can expect a working product?

Sure, I can create a Bart PE CD with TI plug-in (this said: I cannot do that on the system I am trying to restore, because that has died, and my laptop uses different drivers anyway).

Still stuck between a rock and a hard place I guess...a words to that effect

16. tnkelso

tnkelso Registered Member

I get the same message when I backup to an external USB drive or an internal DVD. It did work OK using an external firewire drive in windows and using the boot disk.

I copied the good backup file from the firewire drive to the USB drive and it then showed as corrupt.

17. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There are two common hardware causes for corrupt images. One is a bad RAM location and the other is there is a problem with the disk system. External drives can be troublesome because some chipsets in the external drive don't either play nice with the chipset in the computer or don't like transferring very large files such as produced when doing an image. It also appears that notebook computers are a bit fussier than desktops but that is my opinion from reading various posts.

It is possible for the validation to work under the Linux recovery environment and not Windows or vice-versa. This may be because in one or the other environment a bad memory location is used.

It is a matter of attempting to rule out the possible causes and this sometimes can be difficult because of the intermittent nature of some problems. Also running a diagnostic does not put the hardware into the same environment as running the application.

TI validates an image archive by reading the tib file(s) making up the archive and calculating a checksum. It compares this checksum with the one stored in the archive when it was created. If they are not the same then the archive is declared corrupt.

Because some external USB drives don't handle very large files like the tib files well. It is best to make your archive to an internal drive first since this location is usually the least troublesome. This location can be another partition on the same drive or a partition on a different internal drive. You can even store the archive on the same partition as being backed up if there is sufficient free space. Ignore any warning but you will not be able to restore the image from this location. After you do this successfully, you can then try other media such as external HDs and DVDs.

A bad memory cell can cause the problem. It only takes one bad bit to have a multi-gigabyte archive declared corrupt. It is quite possible to have a bad memory location and not be aware of it during normal PC operation.

Make sure your system/memory is not overclocked.

Run Memtest86+ (www.memtest.org) for a few hours or preferably overnight. Successful running of Memtest or any memory diagnostic does not guarantee the memory is perfect for TI but it is a start.

If your PC has multiple sticks of memory and will run on only one, then remove all the sticks and try TI with only one at a time.

Run chkdsk X: /r on all your partitions. Substitute the drive letter of the partition for X. The PC needs to be rebooted to check C.

You can test the your disk system for transfer errors by downloading the free checksum calculator from:
    http://www.irnis.net/soft/xcsc/

Run the calculator with your test file and note the checksum. (You can use any one of the 3 it calculates but the MD5 is probably better than the CRC32. I just look at the first 4 and last 4 digits as a rule because even a 1 bit error causes a gross change in the value.)
    Now copy your file to the other disk/partition and run the calculator on it. The values must be identical.
    Note that your memory must be good for this to work properly since a bad RAM location will give an erroneous calculation.
    If that works, copy the same file back and re-do the checksum calculation and make sure it worked going back.

I apologize if this is a bit wordy but it is a bit of a cut and paste of some of my previous responses.

Edit: added trying external HD, DVD, after first using internal HD

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  18. clogs

clogs Registered Member

That still does not answer my last remark...if I buy software I expect it to work. When I find out at the time of restore that I cannot use the backup because of any of the problems that the previous aothor mentions, it's a bit too late!

19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

That is precisely why I always test a backup system BEFORE there is a problem .

20. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

How do you create a Boot CD with "Bart PE" included with Safe, and Full procedures?

21. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The BartPE bootable CD is a Windows-based CD that uses the TI BartPE plug-in rather than the Safe and Full modes used in the "Linux" boot CD. The plugin and related files to build the BartPE CD are loaded into a folder on your HD if you select something like the "complete" install.

I doubt if it is easy to build a CD that will allow you to boot into the BartPE environment or the Linux environment.

22. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You don't need the Safe, Full procedures with the BartPE CD http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/. They are part of the TI Rescue Cd which is Linux based. BartPE is totally windows based. Check this site for possible help for making Multiboot CDS http://www.911cd.net/forums/. I personally use the BartPE CD with Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.