Fun with NOD32

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NOD32 user, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Thanks mods for shifting this thread somewhere you felt it was more at home :)

Just thought I'd throw in a real life example of NOD32 scanning times and throughput in case anybody reading this thread might otherwise get the wrong idea about just how fast NOD32 is.

A full scan of the same workstation that got 19 seconds (post#2 in this thread) and with all detection options enabled results as follows:
    • 157.06GB physical data
    • 2:04:29 total scanning time
    • 21.53MB/s average throughput.

Of course the actual MB of data scanned is much higher than 157GB - and therefore the average MB/s that NOD32 scanned is also much higher since the data included:
    • 1.36GB of emails in 3 Outlook .pst files which are scanned first as a file and then each email and every attachment is individually checked as well.
    • 10.6GB of .zip and .rar archives in 7,354 files which are scanned as a file first and then when possible unpacked and each contained file is individually scanned as well.
    • 6000+ .exe files many of which would also normally be self extracting or compressed and therefore scanned by multiples also.

I'm not really sure what the average compression ratio of the archives would be, but let's pick a (low?) number and say 20% compression for example. That would mean an additional 12.72GB of data scanned just in the archives contents and even at such low compression.

So, 157.06GB physical data + the 12.72GB (estimated) archive contents + the 1.3GB email contents (plus again the contents of attachments that are also archives) is a (conservatively?) estimated 171.08GB of data (plus unpackable .exe's)

That would make the average throughput around 23.46MB/s (estimated) and it's easy to see it could actually be much higher...

Cheers and happy fun with NOD32 :)

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 version 1.1842 (20061027) NT (v2.70.09 Beta)
    Total scanning time: 17 sec (00:00:17)

It's faster - hardware is the same :D

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Number of softwares and personal files are also the same ?

4. NOD32 user

Actually that is just for one specially compiled RAR file that is deliberately heavy - check the first post, it was designed as a way to use NOD32 to offer some measure of hardware comparison but is by no means definitive.

Cheers :)

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. I had only one problem with NOD32.
    I'm FirstDefense-ISR user with several snapshots.
    NOD32 scanned my current snapshot, it also scanned all my other snapshots and I couldn't exclude folders from being scanned.
    So the scan time was quite long.

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You can exclude, you just need to select other folders to scan - Those not selected won't be scanned :)
    Just click 'Deselect all' and go to 'Folders & files' and start adding.
    I also use FDISR and this method works perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.