memory usage for avgnt.exe

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shek, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hi Stefan. That's okay about the notifier no big deal. As far as the reboot though, yes it said Antivir needs to reboot, and I remember reading something about a Program Update as well. This was while Notifier Window was in full view, with this information about Program Update, and reboot in small rectangular box. Everything working properly, and I did check for the virus definition number which was 6.35.01.75 at the time. After all this I still hit update and downloaded 6.35.01.76 so I don't believe it was definitions. Oh well I'm happy with Antivir, and thanks for the info. Oh, and what about avguard exe going to 25MB after update? Is this common? Just curious as to why it does, but my guess is it may have something to do with scanning in real time. Take care.

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

You can check in the update logs which files exactly were downloaded, can you please post that list?

AVGuard and MailGuard use each about 25 MB currently, the major part of this is the VDF in memory. Of course having 2 copies is not a good idea at all, this will be changed. Also, not needed parts of the VDFs will be skipped and loaded on-demand only which will reduce the memory usage alot.

3. duke1959

Thanks, I'll look for the logs, and see what i can find. Take care.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    All this moaning about the notifier just makes me :D :D :D . I have been using AV since July 5 and have had only one regular auto update fail on always on BroadBand connection according to my logs. I have had worse experiences of updating with some PAID AVs. :'( :'(

I am just amazed at those who would belittle a free product that performs so well. I certainly believe in free thought and freely speaking ones opinion. I just do not understand the moaning. o_O Just me I guess. :doubt:

However, this is what keeps the world going around and things exciting for me. :) So carry on fellow creatures. :thumb: ;)

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well that popup is so god damn annoying that i can't stand it. I could watch 3 super flashing banners inside main AntiVir window but i just can't stand the popup (AVNotify). Not to mention it's interfering with other apps and games...

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Just set up a software restriction policy to block it from running, or block it with a security app, and you don't have to worry about it.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i don't use any such program...

8. Alphalutra1

if you use windows xp (home and pro), then you just use the software restriction policies ;)

Alphalutra1

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Alphalutra1! pls u did not reply about the "secret administrator while in safe mode" Q. How to do that?

10. Alphalutra1

Sorry, i missed that one :blink:

Here is how you do it:

1) Boot into safe mode

2) Log in as "Administrator"

3) Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe right click on it in explorer go to properties->security->Advanced-> edit then select the option to not let it execute for all users.

Reboot into regular windows and you are good to go.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That doesn't work. Thats the first thing i tried. AntiVir will reset the security settings after update. It really surprises me that they've gone so far to restrict users from blocking AVNotify, yet they have done exactly nothing to make it stop interfering with full screen apps and games. :rolleyes:

13. Alphalutra1

Well, you can always try denying everysingle thing for avnotify.exe under the security permissions, I can't tell you my setup ATM, because I now have SSM which allows me to block avnotify.exe from executing if the parent is the updater. So I can still view virus information in the program :thumb: .

Heres another way to access security permissions from XP Home http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm which has worked for me quite well.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It worked for me just fine on Win2k. Haven't seen a notifier screen since I installed AntiVir and set the avnotify.exe file security to deny execution. No problems here...

15. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Never see AvNotify PopUp Promo.

Same here, WinXP-Pro (SP2) and followed the instructions posted by Shek at the top of page 2 of this thread.

The 'hash' method used before had worked until AntiVir put out a new Build, but Shek's method has lasted through AntiVir Build Updates.:thumb:

On each Update log, it does show avnotify running successfully, I just never get to see any of it.:cool:

I do allow it to load on my rarely connected Win98 backup system and I see enough of it there.:D

16. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Re: Never see AvNotify PopUp Promo.

The hash rule recognizes the program by the MD5 hash, file size and the
    version. Thats why if its updated, the rule won't work. We just have to
    change the rule again. Simple trick and effective. AntiVir is doing its job
    pretty well but my avgnt.exe became hungry and scoffed 10MB. I can
    live with that.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It is marking Process hunter as malware by heuristics, I sent the file.
    BTW, I want to ask why there is no option for the Guard to remove malware in an automatic way( rather than by interactive way)? May be the this option only available in paid version?

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hotmail cauld not process the attachment, may be their AV is stopping it as well. I uploaded it to Jotti.

19. duke1959

Hey guys I posted this in another Forum, but want to post it here too because of all the kind responses I've received in the past. While I was running SuperAntispyware scan the Antivir Guard popped up when SA was going through Windows System 32 and read it found TR/Clicker.CP in pcmgrnet exe. I think it may be just a False Positive as Antivir has no info on it, but not entirely sure what pcmgrnet is for, or if it is even needed. I did google it, but still not sure what this exe is, although it was said it could be spyware of some sort. Thanks and i hope i was clear on this.

20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Wrong thread to post. Please start a new thread on this. Which operating
    system you are using? It might be fishy as it was detected by signature not
    heuristics, please send it to be analysed.

*EDIT* If AntiVir doesn't have more information on it then it doesn't mean its
    a false alarm. Don't expect every malware to have a special description page.
    Otherwise Kaspersky, AntiVir and Emsisoft will be in trouble ;)

Its not a system file as long as XP is concerned. I think its a malware and
    should be treated with caution.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  21. duke1959

Sorry about posting here, I was reading this thread and didn't think before posting. I will start new one. Thanks

22. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I am running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 UR1 and attempting to block the annoying Notifier for AntiVir. I would prefer this method instead of having to install any additional programs to block it.

I cannot find the appropriate section to add and/or edit this rule. I logged in as Administrator as well and it was no different. Here is a screenshot of what is available under Windows 2000. I am hoping that somebody more familiar with Windows 2000 can help me out with this.

http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc333/th_68411_win2k_122_333lo.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Dave, if you're running Win2k, try this. This is how I have blocked the notifier successfully.

I opened Explorer and found 'avnotify.exe' (in the AntiVir folder) and right clicked on it. Selected Properties. Next I selected the Security tab at the top. Then at the bottom left of that window, I selected Advanced. Then under the Permissions tab in that window I see permissions for 4 users, one of them is System, another Administrator, another Power User and one general User. For each of these users, I then clicked on View/Edit. In that window the first item was then Traverse Folder / Execute File. I then clicked/checked the Deny box for that item and then Ok. I did this for each user. Then when done with each user, I finally clicked the Apply button on the bottom right of the Permissions window. A warning pops up and asks if you're sure etc. I said Ok or Yes, whatever the case was. And that's it. Closed everything and I was done.

That should do it. No problems here and I never see a nag screen...

24. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Im running windows XP SP2 but im having trouble disabling the notifier - when I get into the control panel --->Administrative tools, but where is the local security policy, I cant find it?

Thanks
    Suggers

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  25. duke1959

Same here. I would like to use Antivir PE again, but I don't want the Notify Window Popping Up during every update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.