Cloning SATA WinXP Drive to IDE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rsouza, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsouza

rsouza Registered Member

I just purchased TI Home Build #3677.

I want to clone my primary Win XP system drive which is SATA to larger drive which is IDE. I will conect IDE drive to my system with a USB to IDE converter module. Will this work? I first tried to do this with migrate Easy v7. The process completed succesfully but when I replaced the SATA origional drive with the new IDE drive windows would not boot. Every time I try to boot I see the mini Win XP screen with the scrolling blue indicator and then my computer resets by its self. It will continue to try again then re boot its self continually untill I shut the computer off. I am hoping that it will now work using TI Home. Has anyone out there ever migrated their system from SATA to IDE before? What stratigys are recommended. Did I waist my money upgrading to TI from Migrate Easy?

Thanks

Rod Souza

2. Maker

Maker Registered Member

Sounds like a controller driver mismatch. Try first booting into safe mode to verify that it isn't some other driver acting up. If that doesn't work put your XP cd in the drive and boot off of it. When you receive the first prompt to run a repair, skip it and choose to do an installation. Once you start the installation process you will again receive a prompt to repair your current installation. At that point take the repair option. You will have to go through an entire install but, when you're done all of your settings and programs will be intact.

Be aware that you will need to reinstall service pack 2 and all the updates after this process is done.

I've never used migrate easy so I couldn't comment either way other than to say that TI is a good product on its own.

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'd expect the wrong drivers to be in place for the IDE drive if you cloned the OS from a SATA.

sh

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Rod,

I agree with Maker and Shieber. Either carry out the Window In-place upgrade (Repair) as suggested by Maker or try installing your motherboard's IDE controller drivers before you clone your old drive to the new one. After the clone operation has finished, power down your system and swap the old drive for the cloned one before you reboot into Windows for the first time.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rsouza,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would like to confirm the reply of Maker. Please have a look at this article about transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives, or vice versa.

Also starfish_001 is right. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage devices drivers. Acronis Universal Restore allows automatic or manual selection of the HAL and mass storage device drivers to fit the target hardware. So, if you would like to save time and skip the process which is mentioned in the article I have mentioned above you can use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with conjunction of Acronis Universal Restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. optical10

optical10 Registered Member

hello Aleksandr

I think I'm going to be unable to Restore an image on a USB 2.0 external drive [60gb IDE Seagate] to a western digital 74GB sata hard drive on a new motherboard with a ULi sata controller. Normally I would try to do a clone of the western digital 34GB to 74GB sata hard drives, but I had to send the faulty drive back to western digital Germany before my new motherboard arrived. Could you confirm that Acronis 9.1 True Image Enterprise Server does or doesn't contain the ULi sata controller drivers? If not is my only option to do a windows XP full install, which I am reluctant to do as I have a 120GB western digital sata drive with all my non windows program files pointing to the 34GB c: system drive to be restored?

Any work around you know that allows me to use the image would be preferable to doing a full installation of a Windows XP. I've even thought of buying and restoring the image from my USB 2.0 external drive to a new inexpensive IDE hard drive just for moments like these as i intend to purchase an Intel nvidia nforce 5 motherboard later in the year. The article you suggested was useful as it reminded me of the SATA controller issue in the installation of a Windows XP "How To Upgrade A Hard Disk Drive...." and I'm now wondering if I showed install windows Vista beta [whilst partitioning for Windows XP as well ] to see if it contains all newsata controller drivers, hopefully including my ULi sata controller drivers, any thoughts?

I almost forgot to ask if Acronis Universal Restore trial could be used in this situation bearing in mind I do have a functioning operating system with Acronis 9.1 True Image Enterprise Server installed on another than on another computer? Could I in fact create a new| bootable CD with the aid of Acronis Universal Restore universal HAL?

Any help appreciated, even if it's bad news on the Acronis image restore front, I'd rather know now before wasting time later.
    Thanks optical10

8. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

I"ve never even used XP Home, so I don't know if sysprep is available to home ?

If so, this user could always make a backup just in case

THen run sysprep, and on the reboot, go into a recovery disk and do the disk cloning. Sysprep should detect the internal IDE drivers and install them

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello optical10,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that since you are going to restore the image to the computer after you replace the motherboard we recommend that you use Acronis Universal Restore. Using this plug-in for Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows you will be able to automatically or manually select the HAL and mass storage device drivers to fit the target hardware during the restoration.

Yes, the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is able to perform this task. If you would like to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore you will need to contact Acronis Sales Department at sales@acronis.de or contact Acronis Support Team using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows in Chapter 3.7 "Acronis Universal Restore" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.