TI 8.0.937

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mac25, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

downloaded the build [have a key for 8.0] and would like to burn the image to a disk as it would come from acronis,suggestions ?

also is this build worth using ? see siggy

2. dld

dld Registered Member

TI 8.0.937 will do the job just great for you. It was the last build in the TI8 series. Be sure to create the Linux based Rescue Disk and use it to restore in case of disaster. You don't have to know Linux to use it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Mac25,

Many would not part with TI 8.0 Build 937.

However, there is an important distinction that you should know about so it won't throw you off balance if you follow the discussions about managing the MBR on this forum.

Since Build 3567 of TI9, the MBR is displayed as a separate item to select for restoration. The MBR should be restored too, if you are restoring the disk image to a new drive. In version 8, the MBR is included silently and automatically in the imaging or restoration process if you tick the checkbox next to Drive 1 to perform a whole disk image/restore.

4. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

i want to [image/copy] my hd as is [working great] to a hd that is the same[wd 74gb sata,10,000 rpm] then remove and store it,can it be done?

also: does the ati retail disk come as a bootable disk,if so is there any way to take the lattest build 8.0.937 [downloaded] and make it as a retail disk that is bootable ?

5. dld

dld Registered Member

Since what you want to do is to migrate your OS to a new WD 74GB drive, why not use the clone feature of TI8.0.937. Make sure to choose the option to expand partition(s) to fill the new drive. Note that you can't create an image of your present system storing it on your new drive and expect this image on your new drive to be bootable. A backup archive is a .tib file and needs to be restored in order to be bootable. Furthermore the restored image will be bootable only if the created image included the MBR as pointed out by bVolk.

The ATI retail disk is not bootable. The downloaded version ATI 8.0.937 cannot be made bootable. What is bootable is the Linux based Disaster Recovery disk which you should burn and keep in a safe place.

6. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

ok,thats what i needed to know.

Thanks

7. dld

dld Registered Member

Mac25... In order to clone your OS system to the new drive, you will need to install this new drive as Slave. Hopefully you have room in your tower to do this. Once you have migrated your system to the new drive, you will have to disconnect the old drive before rebooting. You then would connect the new drive as Master. Read this Dan Goodell's article.

One final thought. Creating a clone of your system may not be the best scenario for you. The only way you can update a clone is by creating a new clone. Installing your new drive either as slave or in an external enclosure would allow you to create an image of your system which can be added to incrementally. Or else you could create multiple images of your system, all stored on the same slave\external drive. In case of disaster you boot from your Disaster Recovery disk and restore your system. Something to consider.

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Excellent reference. Goodell does a good job. I followed his information and DL'ed his utility for recovering and putting away in external storage my Dell PC restore partition so I could use the extra 5 GB of HD space.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mac25,

As far as I'm aware, the boxed retail version of the TI 8.0 CD also functioned as the bootable rescue CD.

However, likelyhood is that the boxed version would be out of date and therefore a new user would need to immediately download the latest update and burn a new rescue CD. I'm not sure whether TI 9.0 boxed retail CDs are still bootable but maybe Acronis realised that perhaps it wasn't worth it due to the need to update so soon after purchase.

As for creating an installation CD that also acts as a bootable rescue CD, if you have third party CD/DVD recording software such as Nero Burning ROM, you can try the following:

- Install your downloaded TI 8.0 Build 937.
    - Run TI and create a bootable rescue CD.
    - Run your CD/DVD recording software and choose to create a CD-ROM (ISO) compilation.
    - Set the recording option to "Continue multi-session disk" and then add the downloaded TI 8.0 Build 937 self extracting .exe to the new compilation window.
    - Burn the new compilation, ensuring you set the "Burn" option to "Finalize the disk" after burning the data.

Regards

10. dld

dld Registered Member

Thanks for the info Tom. :) I can't see just what one would do with the bootable TI disk?

11. crofttk

Well, what will you do if your C drive goes south and you can't boot into Windows ? Also, some people trust NO operation that ATI performs on the system drive while in Windows and they prefer to do these operations outside of Windows.

12. dld

dld Registered Member

Would a bootable TI disk act in some way like the Disaster Recovery Disk does? In other words, would you boot from a TI disk and then access your .tib archive? Once booted, does the TI disk function in a Linux environment or are we in Windows?

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I believe what Mac25 wants is a dual purpose CD - one that holds his downloaded TI 8.0 self extracting installation file but also serves the purpose of the the Linux based bootable rescue CD. Now, why he would want to do that, only he can say o_O. Clearly, it's not as useful (?) as a bootable rescue DVD that also holds your .tib image file. Still, ours is not to reason why :D.

Regards

14. crofttk

OK, I see from Menorcaman's post, I was failing to make that distinction. I took your question to apply strictly to the Rescue CD. My bad.

15. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

went to install the downloaded build 8.0.937 and got to the enter your serial # and when i did the NEXT button would not respond [greyed out].

originally purchased ati 7.0 and had problems with that build so i upgraded to ati 8.0,upon doing so i was labored with having to enter both serial #s :ouch: ,but now i dont get that chance [tried both #s],emailed acronis so now i wait :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

will read the guide by Dan Goodell's ,both my hds are mounted/connected internally but are in removable inclosers,i wanted to have a fresh/fully updated hd ready to plug and go.

as far as the CD goes i thought that acronis ti retail disk would be bootable and also have the install file,[multidisk] if you will,like the win XP disk that could serve dual purpose,that you could browse in windows explorer [where you would see file folders] and the such.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mac25,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that if you purchase the Acronis True Image 8.0 Upgrade you should use not only the serial number for Acronis True Image 8.0 Upgrade, but also a serial number for your previous version of Acronis True Image when installing an upgrade.

Please also note that that the boxed version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that is available on Acronis on-line store contains the CD with the installation file. It is not bootable. If you would like to have the Acronis True Image Bootable CD with the installation file which also contains the installation file you can use Menorcaman's instruction given in the post #9.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.