Restore a system partition with command-line tool

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by efix, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efix

efix Registered Member

Hi all

I have True Image Workstation 9.1.
    After I have successfuly made backup image with this tool, I try to restore my system
    the command line is:
    TrueImageCmd.exe /deploy /filename:"d:\backup1.tib" /partition:1-1

and then I reseive error message "Failed to lock partition 1-1."

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Failed to lock partition 1-1

Hello efix,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

It seems to be that you are trying to restore your system partition or a partition, which is being busy with various I/O operations. So, could you please shutdown the applications and services which can possibly use the partition or use a GUI interface of Acronis True Image, which is slightly smarter in such cases. You can also use Acronis Bootable Media, which will also be helpful in your situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

3. efix

efix Registered Member

Hello Fedor!

The problem is that I need to restore from command line. It's work from GUI.

4. efix

efix Registered Member

restore a system partition with command line tool

Is it possible to restore a system partition with command line tool?
    (ti 9.1 workstation, 15 days trial)

5. Acronis Support

Hello efix,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Would like to correct Fedor's reply a little bit. Please note that Windows does not allow you to run an application while this application completely rewrites the partition where Windows is installed. Therefore, Acronis True Image need to reboot the computer into its standalone version to restore the system partition. However, when using Acronis True Image Workstation in command-line mode you will not be able to perform this actions. This can be done through GUI only. Please note that you can restore to another partition/hard drive (not the system one) from command-line interface, for example

TrueImageCmd.exe /deploy /filename:"d:\backup1.tib" /partition:2-1

EDIT: I have merged your second thread here and also changed the title of this thread to make seach easy for other forum members.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  6. ronkupper

ronkupper Registered Member

Dear Acronis Support,

Please excuse me for bringing this old thread, but it's seems to be the only official answer to the "Failed to lock" error.

It's a real shame that it is not mentioned in the documentation of the product that TrueImageCmd wont work on the system partition.
    This is a fundamental issue that regards many users of the product.

For me it would have saved many hours of work invain.

In that matter - Is there a possibility to script/automate the restoration/deployment of the system partition of a working system?

Will TrueImageCmd support that feature in the near future?
    (If the GUI can do it surely the CMD can too.)

Many thanks ahead.

Sincirly,

Ron Kuper
    BNHP Group
    ron.kuper@mailpoalim.co.il

7. ronkupper

Hello,

Since this post I've further investigated True-Image and noticed that when creating a "Recovery" task from the GUI eventually a Temporary XML file is being created with an .tib extension.

Using this tib with TrueImageTerminal /execute I can automate the same restore job from the cmd line over and again.

The only problem is - this .tib file is not appropriate for use in other machines since it has hard-coded properties which represent the physical drive.
    When used in another machine it says - "Can't find drive" or something.

Is there a way i can automate the creation of this xml?

Or - for the sake of a reply - just tell me what are the properties it writes down for the local disk drive and i'll populate them myself. (Using WMI etc..)
    I already know one of them is the "Number Of Blocks". I can't seem to find the rest. (Perhaps its doing some calculation for them)

Would really appreciate your help,

Ron Kuper

8. ronkupper

Forgot to attach the file erlier.

Attached Files:

9. Acronis Support

Hello ronkupper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please be aware that, as Aleksandr explained earlier, the limitation that TrueImageCmd is not able to perform a system reboot is not Acronis True Image one, but a Windows one.

We are sorry, but we cannot provide the internal information on how the restore function of Acronis True Image works.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. ronkupper

Hello Marat,

Thank you for your reply.

Forgive me if I do not understand correctly but, If the limitation was with the OS then nither of the products could perform the restore.

Yet - TrueImage does.

Maybe you mean that the limitation is actually writing the disk while windows is running, but I dont care doing a restart to Acronis Boot Loader as True Image does.

Is there a way to automate TrueImage restore operation?
    (such as with TrueImageTerminal)

We got an automated backup using the Terminal, why not an automated restore?

Is that feature avilable through the True Image SDK?

Thank you,

Ron Kuper

11. Acronis Support

Hello Ron,

Let me correct Marat's reply a bit. Please note that the limitations of the restore process from command-line interface are not related with operating system but rather with limitations command-line interface of Acronis True Image itself.

Currently, the restore process can be started through Acronis True Image GUI only.

As for your other questions about automated restore process, please be aware that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and they have already been forwarded to our Development Team. The ability to automate the restore process will probably implemented in the future Acronis True Image versions, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.