windows and linux backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by binary_dreamer, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binary_dreamer

binary_dreamer Registered Member

hi i got true image 9 and my machine runs windows xp and linux, in a dual boot mode. i know how to take a backup image from window xo and restore it easily. linux sits on the second partition and i would like to get a backup image of it and have it for disaster recovery. any ideas?

2. ee1

ee1 Registered Member

If you tick the check box to backup the whole disk from Windows or with the stand-alone TI CD based boot disk, you will be backing up both the Linux and the Windows partitions. I have 3 versions of Linux and Windows XP on my system (4 OS and 6 partitions) and have been able to restore all 4 OSes, as a group or individually. It even restored the MBR which on my systems has the 1st stage GRUB loader with no problems.

The one trick to remember is to always put a valid file system on empty partitions, or TI complains. I use EXT3 for all my Linux partitions except swap, and NTFS on XP.

Eric

3. binary_dreamer

thanks for your reply.
    in my first partition is windows.
    the second partition has linux (/boot, /home, swap) reiserfs
    i did a backup of linux and when i restored it, it could not find grub.
    so i had to fix the system. any tips?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello binary_dreamer,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note, that if you want to have GRUB fully functional after system restoration process, you should check "Restore MBR and Track 0" option while restoring the image.

You can also restore GRUB by booting form the rescue media form your distribution and running the command /sbin/grub-install <location>, where <location> is the location that the GRUB Stage 1 boot loader should be installed.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

5. binary_dreamer

thanks a lot for your answer. since i am kinda dump with the location of grub could you tell me the exact path?
    the hard disk (hda) has grub in the MBR, then windows XP and then on the second partition linux. so what is the path i type to install again grub?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello binary_dreamer,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this post about how to re-activate GRUB.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.