Another upgrade?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Perman, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Biscuit,

They have 171 or 172? The 1st version I could get when it came out of Beta was 172. If you are on 171 was it a beta? If so better do an uninstall first before installing 172a.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Sorry HFF, I have 172.

Has anyone installed 172a over the top of 172, or uninstalled 172 first?

3. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I believe that if you have 172 installed already, it is best to wait until the Ewido bods condescend to inform us firstly, whether 172a is just a correction of the 172 installation issues reported earlier on (windows start-up and add/remove programs etc), or has other bugs fixed not noticed by us, that makes it advisable for 172 to be uninstalled and 172a installed in its place.
    For what it's worth, I have emailed Support, heh.

4. HelpFromFrance

Biscuit,

I have done the "update" from 172 to 172a without an uninstall and it went perfectly!! :D

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

5. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Guys calm down.

The "new" version of 4.0.0.172 is just another setup which has some improvements which needs to be fixed.

Not more.

So calm down.

Btw. We're not machines. We're not working 24h a day. So give us some time. We have to do more than answering questions at wilders ;)

6. HelpFromFrance

vinzenz,

Sorry if we offended you, sometimes we forget you are not wearing a big "S" on your chest. ;) You do so much for us, we maybe expect too much. Isn't there a saying "give them and inch and they will take a mile"? I guess you have given so much we have been too demanding. At least from me, please accept my appolgies! ;)

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

7. greenhatch

What is this forum for, if not for answering questions and keeping we users informed? :rolleyes:

8. HelpFromFrance

If I read vinzenz response right he did not say they did not want to answer questions or keep us informed, in fact he did just that he told us what the 172a was all about, but ask for a little more time to do so, which in my opinion is reasonable.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, this forum is for discussions, and Q&A, but I think Vinzenz, Peter or Karl should get enough sleep to answer our questions. Just given them some time, I am sure they will respond... :D

10. greenhatch

Well smileys notwithstanding, my main point is that we should not have first heard of the 172a update from mentions in majorgeeks.com and dslreports.com, but from the Ewido chaps, either in this forum or on their site. Nothing else.

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, I agreed that some work can be done, for example, that an eye-catching box indicating that 172a is available can be included in the ewido main home page and included a changelog, so that users can have first hand info on what has changed. Users, including me are sensitive to new builds, and the availability of a changelog can avoid confusion. Maybe Vinzenz and Peter can consider including a changelog for new builds in the future.

12. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Thanks for your answer.

But just do be sure: My "original" verson of version 4.0.0.172 is running just fine. Any reason at all to move to 4.0.0.172a?

I didn't notice any problems during setup..

Regards
    ericfr

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks, especially our friends@Ewido: I am the one initiated the all debates, blame me if you will. If there is any rudeness on my part, please accept my sincere apology. From day one I have been using this app, tech support has been exceptional. When this particular incident occurred, I, as a royal client, had a high expectation for friends@ewido to do the magic, such as 7/24/365, on the way I totally fogot you are at Germany while I am at Canada(GMT-4),the difference of time zone does create some unnecessary fuss. To avoid replicating the same fuss, may I suggest that in the immediate future, please post a little (even a single line) release note advising your die-hard clients of fixes and changes, I mean even the fix is merely a mis-spelling of English.:thumb:

14. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Hi Perman:
    As far as I can see you just asked a question, which I thought was a legitimate one.
    I think your question was partially answered, but I still wonder if it's any reason at all for "upgrading" to 172a.
    I too like Ewido very well, but I want to stay updated.

Regards
    ericf

15. HelpFromFrance

I needed the update, because I lost the "trail version" part of ewido because of an install, uninstall, reinstall and the version 172a fixed that so I could get the trial version back.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yeah that's right vincenzo, some guys probably forgot that's the World Cup Football in Germany.:p :D :D

17. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

As vinzenz already said, version 172a has only an updated setup, no new build of the program (that's it still says 172 :))... Therefore, there is no need to install it if you already got 172 installed. In general, we also release all program updates via the built-in online-update. Here is a list of changes to the setup:

- Digital signature
    - Fixes the "ewido does not start automatically" bug
    - Allows another 30 day trial for old beta users

18. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Thank you very much for your concise answer, just what I wanted to know. :)

Regards
    ericfr

BTW: Running smoothly here.

19. GWA

GWA Registered Member

Yes, thank you! That is the information that most all of us were waiting for. CHUCK :thumb:

20. roddy32

roddy32 Security Expert

Thanks for the clarification Peter. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.