What Do You Think Is The Best Download Manager

Discussion in 'polls' started by AnthonyG, Feb 15, 2005.

?

What Do You Think Is The Best Download Manager

1. GetRight

18 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Flashget

38 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Download Accellerator

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Internet Download Manager

51 vote(s)
    22.8%
  5. Teleport Pro

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  6. Net Transport

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Mass Downloader

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. Firefox/Mozilla Download Manager

44 vote(s)
    19.6%
  9. Other (id really apreciate you saying what that is)

70 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Wellget

1. Good interface - Improvement on the all familiar Flashget
    2. Light on Resource

And Free

Although i am using opera 8 and its downloader is already very good.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

getright is my download manager, tho if im in a hurry ill just use firefox's download manager as i have dsl.

3. shek

shek Registered Member

one vote for net transport, which not only support http/https/ftp, but also mms/rtsp

4. sunnaan2003

sunnaan2003 Registered Member

FlashGet is the best download manager and you can confirm it by using version 1.72 build 128 or later of FlashGet.
    It has a Batch download feature and a built-in Site Explorer which connot be compared with other download managers.
    It also gets date and time from server with each file. It's got a toolbar too.
    :)
    Sunnaan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  5. sunnaan2003

sunnaan2003 Registered Member

LeechGet

LeechGet is a graphically heavy download manager although it is cute and fast enough at least for dialup connections.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well after a couple years with Net Transport (last freeware version). I've come back to my 1st luv dl manager FlashGet. Because FlashGet is now FREEWARE!!! And it's better than I remember.:D

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use the download manager that comes in Opera browser. works very well. :thumb:

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ditto.

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Although it's not actually a download manager, Shareaza does a good job as one. I used it to download the PCBSD and Ubuntu 5.1 ISO images, 677mb and 617mb respectively. Did this with my old 98 box using dial-up internet service with a one hour connection time limit.
    Rick

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Again. :)

snowbound

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I don't use one or if you call that a manager the one within FireFox.
    I cannot imagine what the benefits are when using a Download Manager.

Gerard

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Download manager helps to resume download and I can not download almost anything via IE due to my restrictions, so I use Free Download Manager to be able to download files. [​IMG]

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: LeechGet

It uses more resouces than star downloader free and Free Doenload manager( though still only around 5-6 MB), but I am surprized I did not see the option of virus scan in the free version of it.

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

The other day I found "DownThemAll" extension for firefox. It is a neat extension imo.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, I used it too. Its good.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Another small download manger that needs no installation is WakeGet. So probably u can run it from any media, however I have not used it.

17. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Another advantage of a download manager is the ability to re-download certain files on a regular schedule, at least Star Downloader lets you do this. It can be set to keep the download links when they're finished and just click on "re-download" when you want to update the downloaded file. I use it to update F-Prot for DOS and AntiVir version 6 (don't like version 7) and automatically send the files to the proper folders. Combined with a few simple batch files to unzip the archives, it works almost as well as the updater that comes with most AVs. The ability to set up multiple categories for the downloads and assigning each one a unique destination saves a lot of file sorting later.
    Star Downloader also has a "download basket" (actually a normal sized movable icon) that stays on top of your work if desired. You can drag and drop almost anything on it and it downloads it. Works good with most any kind of file, images, music files, PDFs, and other file types that a browser would normally open instead of saving it to disk.
    If there is a disadvantage to using a download manager like Star Downloader, it would be that it tries to use all the available banwidth, especially of you use dialup. When I have more than one download running and try to browse the web, it will either badly slow down the browser (Mozilla) or stop it from opening anything at all (IE6). I usually pause the downloads right after it establishes the download links and gets the file info, then resume them later on. IMO, the AV integration feature and a pause button that lets you resume the downloads hours or even days later are more than enough to justify using one.
    While a download manager might not be that much of an advantge when you have high speed service, it's a lifesaver if you're on dialup or are stuck with unreliable internet service.
    Rick

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks guys for answering.
    But I think I stay like it is now, but will investigate some DM's
    I am on a 6 Mb dsl connection, so things go pretty fast.

Gerard

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm certain Leechget is the best. i have an old version which has alot more features then later versions. it has more options then any other program i've ever seen.

i was going to upload my copy to an upload site so you can all try it out and see how good it is but i found a copy on the internet which is the same version i have; the md5 checksums are the same - e2d8038655eb28736ddd7bd62b41a17a

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1826
    direct download :cool:

20. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

FlashGet is the best free download manager around.

21. taihaukau

taihaukau Registered Member

Internet Download Accelerator (IDA)

22. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    for now, I am using Star Downloader free. I can resume my interrupted download...but there are some site/or programs/files :cautious: that do not support resume..and even if it resumes sometimes I got corrupted download even if the file size is complete. Also, there are some programs that couldn't be downloaded using this download manager....but when i just use the built-in firefox downloader it can be downloaded but the problem is if the file is big there's a possibility of interruption and that I cannot resume because it has no resume feature. :p :oops: o_O

In conlusion, download manager is very useful if you have slow internet connection, your connection is fast but the file you want to download is very big and that's where the resume function can help where only a donwload manager can provide. :cool:

23. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

24. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

Also my choice

25. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.