My evalution came to a rude ending!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HandsOff, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I'm not trying to be super criticle, however my guess is that people that do not have a good evaluation experience probably just leave quietly. Not so, me!

1- the menu's and documentation seemed pretty vague and inadequate. It's fine to say, you shouldn't need documentation but I really think it should be adequated none theless. I read the phrase shouldn't even need documentation in at least two or three different spots. Very disappointing (although a worthy goal).

2- I was going to get the product clear through to the end...But what really bugged me was that when my trial expired I had no way of knowing if I was still receiving some kind of protection. There was no warning for me to uninstall and install something else. Sorry, but I did not mark the calander with the day that the 30's was up.

One day there was still a shield icon in my tray, but when I tried to access the UI it simply would do nothing. No explanation! Those guys are really wrong if they consider that a reasonable way to conclude the evaluation.

- I tried from the shield icon
    - I tried from the icon in the program group. Nothing
    - I looked in the guide, and on the website to see what happens after the evaluation. I could not find a word. Any responsable program would give you a final message that has to be acknowledged, so that the evaluation isn't just dumped wide open with no virus protection. I was going to get NOD32, but decided after that to trial Kaspersky. this new version (of Kaspersky) is quite different than the last. The hueritics are awful, the rest seems very good. Documentation is much better than NOD32. at this point I am undecided!

There you have it! No punches pulled. If what happened was an aberation then I'll be glad to hear it. If not I hope NOD32 does something differently in the future. I still think it's a nice product, I was initially a little upset, but I reallize that's not fair without clairifying the points with you.

(incidentally the tray icon was there and NOD32 had at least one process running, I did not document which one (s) which I now sort of regret).

- HandsOff

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

1. You can access any module [and sub module] and just hit F1.
    All the options and thingies are explained quite well with no bla bla we are the best bla bla...

2. I agree. Registered users only gets a 1 week warning, and if we are not around to see it.. Tough luck! I've been asking for something that tells us our expire date, but I guess (and deeply hoping) it will be there in V3.

3. Ah now I know what failed for ya. The Control Center didn't load. You will see this everytime you disable either IMON or AMON and reboot the PC. Why it fails? No idea.

And FYI: Great great.. great antivirus. Nobody can match the speed + detection + support.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi HandsOff, yours is fortunately not the usual experience, I have never used the Trial Version, however, what normally happens is that you are warned that your protection is out of date.

I don't think basing your purchasing experience on the lack of documentation is a valid reason not to purchase, the documentation is pretty good, though in saying this not a single client of mine has ever read it :blink: You also have a tutorial right here at Wilders that pretty much says it all.

If you would like to continue evaluating NOD32 please send me a Private Message.

Cheers :D

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

How did you come to the conclusion that KAV's heuristic detection is awful? Actual tests or what? Or maybe you think of the proactive defense (very good, for what I've seen). KAV 6 is a top-notch product, if you ask me. And this comes from someone who often hates AVs.

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Normally the trial version pops up a window at every login to tell you it is out of date and that there is a need to either un-install it or purchase. The number of trial days remaining is stated under NOD32 System Tools --> Information.

Objective analysis consistently shows NOD32 is at the head of the threat detection game.
    If you were happy with NOD32 then great - please continue to enjoy it :)
    Otherwise if you feel something else is more suited to your personal need....

Cheers :)

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Improvements are planned for both the user interface and the product documentation, as well as how users are notified a trial or license period is coming to an end.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Great news indeed! Many thanks

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Windows Security Center should be jumping up at you once it sees your AV product is getting a few days outdated.

9. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

yeah i got the warning window in the last week, but if you don't turn it on you won't see it. Then it stops working at the end of 30 days.

10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure when I ran the evaluation version the splash screen told you how many days you had left to run(if it wasn't on splash screen it was somewhere easy to find anyway)

11. HandsOff

TNT - yes I meant the proactive defense, sorry for the confusion, I was making a broad generalization based on considering detectionn through means other than signature..."very good from what you have seen..." Have you conducted any tests? I could show you page after page of KAV saving my computer from itself! I've had to turn off 2 out of four catagories and just now it shut down photoshop (not saving my work of course), because I ran a plugin inside of photoshop! Excuse me, Kaspersky, my setting I chose what to be notified not to be hijacked! Anyway, this is the wrong forum for that, but I'll just say if I'm finding some feature to be a pain, then seeming pretty good from what you have seen just doesn't cut it!

BRIAN - Thank you for understanding what I am talking about! Weak is exactly the word to describe it.

Blackspear - Thanks for the offer (and the offer of discretion - you are a gentleman and a scholar!) Still, I have no reservations about NOD32, and so I can say I was wrong. I think I am going to NOD32 after all. For me the interface is really key - more than that, the interface reveal the capability of the product or not. It seems to me that to make K work I will be disabling and white listing my whole computer!

agoretsky - Thanks for acknowledging these problems and I'm glad they are being worked on!

Sorry if I left anyone out! I reallize that I could do tutorials and study the program in depth, but as an evaluation I am looking at it from the point of someone that shouldn't have to do anything but reference documents right from his own computer. That said, I am probably a little more dense than most new users.

Thanks for your great responses! I'd rather get dialed in with NOD32 than Kaspersky, at present. I guess it's a happy ending after all!

-HandsOff

12. TNT

TNT Registered Member

The point is, it's not a heuristic malware detection, it's a malware-like behavior detection. KAV doesn't say those are probably malware, it just makes you awareof some behaviors that COULD be associated to malware. If those were from a program you don't recognize, you bet you wouldn't complain, but you would rather find whether those are legitimate programs or not. :D

You can make it learn that that behavior should not be detected for those particular programs, anyway. This is the same concept of several realtime anti-spyware applications.

As for heuristics tests, no, I didn't do any. I have done, though, many, many test it on actual in-the-wild malware and I can safely say that, in my experience, KAV's engine has the best detection of them all.

13. Blackspear

14. HandsOff

Okay, I will believe you find those features useful. I do like K's heathly suspicion of M$. I don't use MS Office, but if I did, I'd want all the help I can get. And some other MS limiting features. Let's face it, M$ is one spy that is planted on all of our systems.

They are clearly among the best! Have they scrapped using ADS Streams (if you happen to know)?

take care

-HandsOff

15. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

They seem to have replaced their iStreams technology (which used ADS) with iSwift, which has the main purpose (avoiding re-scans by storing the NTFS footprint of the file) but uses a database located in a particular folder under the Windows directory (I don't recall wich one though :oops:) anymore.

16. HandsOff

That sounds like a safe approach.

It seemed really odd to me to use ADS because having hundreds of those entries sort of makes it less likely that you will notice an ADS that is part of some malware.

As an aside, for the same reason I think it's really stupid for Microsoft to start tagging downloaded files from the interenet. Am I missing something here? This is precisely to catagory of file that I want to insure has no ADS stream whatsoever. Just for fun, does anyone think that was a good change (that was implemented as part of the SP2 security upgrade)? I have exactly one ADS stream on my computer. If another one shows up I will notice.

-HandsOff

17. Blackspear

Ladies and Gentlemen, please remember this is the NOD32 SUPPORT Forum, we do have another General Antivirus Forum where discussions of other Antivirus Software can be discussed at will.

Cheers

Blackspear.

18. steve1955

This is getting silly! are we not now even allowed to mention other Av's in here even for comparison?

19. Blackspear

This is NOT a comparison forum, it is the NOD32 SUPPORT Forum, and I have asked people to keep this in mind as the discussion has basically gone to what KAV does or does not have.

Any issue with my moderation can be taken up with Admin.

Blackspear.

20. steve1955

How do i do that?

21. Blackspear

Use "Contact us" at the bottom of the forum.

Blackspear.

22. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

[/COLOR]
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Nooooooooo !!! - Don't do it !!! :blink: :blink: :blink:
    (of course your free to if that's what you really want....)

23. HandsOff

Sorry, Craig, that was my fault, I guess. What I really wanted to know, and I should have just asked it outright, was DOES ESET use ADS Stream creation or editing in any way. It was just sort of a conversation directional seque, but I should have asked directly. Alot of these issue are things that I am trying to sort out, it was not an attempt to expand on Kaspersky features. In fact I think it is (or was) a terrible practice, that...(uh oh, I guess I'm doing it again!)

-HandsOff!

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If I may, I asked that question somewhere in the Eset Forum just before the latest version came out and Marcos replied the ADS streams are scanned only. You will see no ADS tags on the scanned files.

25. HandsOff

Thanks Ron!

I'm sort of in an ADS panic mode now because I am discovering that other programs use them, but refer to them in more innocent sounding terms like "tags", "comments", "indexes", "search words" and I just figure it's easier to ask than to wade through the jargon.

I am VERY glad to hear this though. The ADS Streams would be remarkably useful if they didn't seem so risky. I'd love to use them, but am making the suppreme sacrifice and sticking to files that can be managed.

-HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.