New Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pmaddock, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmaddock

pmaddock Registered Member

Forum members,

I am new to this forum, having purchased True Image 9.0 today. So far it seems to meet all of my needs. I have a simple question (which I have already emailed Tech. Support) - when do you need to create a new boot disk? I purchased the product from Office Depot today, and it comes with an installation CD, which also serves as a bootup CD. I purchased version 9.0, and already have updated to the latest build 3567 (from around 2200 that came in the box). Do I now need to create a new bootup CD, or can I stick with the installation CD that came in the box (which seems to work just fine)? If I do need to create a new bootup CD, can it be a CDR or CDRW (either one)? I look forward to your advice. Thanks.

PMADDOCK

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Definitely create a new bootable Rescue CD. The latest build which you downloaded will possibly have new drivers.

3. pmaddock

Chutsman,

Thanks for the info. I kind of suspected that I would have to do this. I just purchased some Maxell CDRs. I can use one of them to create a new boot disk, correct?

PM

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The Maxell CDR will work just fine.

5. pmaddock

I just used the software to create the bootable CDR. I inserted it into my cd drive and rebooted the computer. At first it seemed to work. Acronis started loading, but nothing happens. I got an error message prompting me to hit return to reboot again, but nothing happened. I removed the cdr, shut the computer off, and started it again. The installation cd works, but my newly created cd after my build update does not bring up Acronis in DOS. Is there something else that I need to do? The bootup cd creation seemed to happen successfully.

PM

6. rafael

rafael Registered Member

It could be bad media ( especially Taiwan made ) or you were copying and writing at high speed. Try burning at half the speed. If it is rated at 48x, burn at 24x. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  7. pmaddock

Well, this problem is killing me. I so far done the following things to create a bootable cdr:
    In review, I am using True Image Home, 9.0, latest build
    I have a P-4 computer, 2.2 GHZ, 1 GB of ram, Plextor 40/12/40A PlexWriter CD burner - using Maxell slow write speed cdr's (at least not the high speed versions)

1. I have updated my cd firmware to the lastest firmware
    2. I have used Windows Media Player software to turn my CD write speed down to 4X
    3. I have stopped all programs from running in the background while burning the boot disk (especially firewalls, Norton Antivirus, screen savers, etc.)

No matter what I do, I keep creating coasters. I either get bad media messages after burning, or the cd will not boot up on reboot. It either locks up before the Acronis loader kicks, or right after the loader kicks in. Either way, nothing happens, my computer locks up, and I have to press the on/off button to get back to my desktop. I am close to trying the same thing with a cdrw, but do not currently have any software to initiate the disk. I called Acronis and a guy is making me a bootable disk for the current build, but this will do my no good in the future when they do more builds. The only good news is that my Acronis software installation disk will boot up in DOS, but once again soooner or later I need to make my own bootable disk with this software. Does anyone else have any other ideas? My burner is at least 4 years old, maybe it is time to go ahead an buy a new CDRW, DVDRW burner. Or maybe the problem is the Maxell disks. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better brand of CDR that is more compatible with all computers, burners, and this Acronis software? I am looking forward to additional suggestions.

PM

8. rafael

rafael Registered Member

I have success with NEC, BenQ and LG burners. These are all cheap and are being sold at a good price at newegg.com.

All these latest burners can handle cdr,cdrw, dvd+r,dvd-r and the latest double layer dvd blanks for movies.

As to blank media, I would recommend Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden. Sony, Maxell, TDK and Fuji are also good name brands if these are made in Japan. As to Taiwan-made media, only one ( Verbatim )is worth buying.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi pmaddock,

Perhaps you should check the recording speed shown in My Computer>CD drive>Properties>Recording, though the embedded TI burning tool might override this setting.

What if the TI burning tool overrides every previous burning speed setting and the slow blanks you are using as a precaution can't cope with the actual burning speed employed? It may be worth trying with a fast blank CD.

I never had problems with 48 or 52x blanks of various brand names, with the speed set to 16x in .... Properties>Recording.

10. pmaddock

Acronis forum support,

Can you offer me help on this boot drive issue? Why am I struggling so much to make a bootable cdr with your software?

PM

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Your Plextor is a very reputable drive but age may have taken its toll. Over the years, my last 4 CD/DVD drives have been Plextors and I have never ever had a failed write due to the drive. One of my current drives is a 12/10/32 scsi which is at least as old as yours.

A couple things you might try.
    Since it is 4 years old, you could have some dust inside. You could open the tray and gently gently gently blow out any dust balls, etc with canned air.
    Also, there is a cleaning CD available at many most stores which sell blank CD media. This is a CD disc with a small brush which wipes the LEN lens inside. Cost is about $5-$10.

Boot into Safe Mode. and create your "User Bootable Rescue Disk" from within Safe Mode.

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are the CD-R disks that you are using rated at a speed at least as fast as the maximum for your drive? If your drive can write at 32X, are you using CD-R disks that are at least rated at 32X?

Do you have another computer available with a CD writer? Install TrueImage on it and make a recovery CD. The Recovery CD is not hardware dependent, but it is TI Build dependent.

Images made with the latest build of TI may not be readable by a Recovery CD made with an earlier build of TI.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pmaddock,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As it was already stated above we recommend you to create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media, because each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc.

As to the issue with creating bootable CD, there are several workarounds in this case:

1. Please make sure that you are using a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc, as other types of media cannot be used to create a bootable rescue CD.

2. Boot into Safe mode (press F8 when Windows starts up and choose Safe mode to boot into) and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

3. Uninstall any CD burning software temporarily and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

5. If you use Windows XP please uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box in the "Recording" tab (to get to this tab please right click on the CD-drive in "My computer" and choose "Properties").

6. One more workaround:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

7. Create a bootable disk ISO image with help of Bootable Rescue Media Builder. Having created the ISO disk image, burn it onto any kind of CD or DVD recordable, using CD/DVD recording software.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Yes, the CD yougot in the retal box is likely the old crappy build 2323. do not even install the critter.

Install only the build you downloaded.

15. pmaddock

All my problems have been solved. I went out and purchased the latest and greatest LG DVDRW burner. It turns out that my problem was my 4-year old Plextor CDRW burner. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

PMADDOCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.