memory usage for avgnt.exe

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shek, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shek

shek Registered Member

It's better to use path rule instead of hash rule to block the avnotify.exe.

The following method applies to win2k/xp.

control panel-> administrative tools-> local security policy->software restriction policies->additional rules->new path rule-> choose the path of avnotify.exe (default is C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe) and the security level (disallowed).

2. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi all...

Thanks for the information and tips. If I ever have reason to install AntiVir again, setting up rules to disable the rotten nag screen will be unnecessary because Avira will have done away with it outright!

@ Stefan...

Like I said, free should mean just that. If Avira wants to bother people about purchasing premium or pro versions, then introduce a separate 30 or 60 day trial version.:rolleyes:

Best Regards...

3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Thank you shek,

for that method which looks like it may only need to be done once.

ardvark,

sure you know how long this has been going on:

Thema: How to stop AntiVir Notifier (from September 2004)

AntiVir is no doubt the best choice for me, for a 'free' antivirus.

If I were to have to consider a 'paid' Program, I would shop extra hard
    to try and find an alternative that had never 'bugged' me. :)

4. alfredska

alfredska Registered Member

Actually, that method only works for WinXP and Win2003, when the "software restriction policy" was introduced. Win2000 users will have to follow a slightly different route. Follow the instructions at this microsoft site in order to prohibit avnotify.exe

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This option not there i think in XP home. I just disallow AV notify to run by SSM. I hate the the nag screen it pops up.

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

You can do this option in xp home if you boot into safe mode, log in as the secret administrator account, and then select the file permissions. It is what I always do :D

Alphalutra1

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Pls can u tell the exact steps how to do it. I know how to go in safe mode but never knew about secret administrator.

8. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hello. Also I want to ask if it is okay to do this? I have read that the Notifier was imortant to find out information on any Virus found on your PC, or something of that nature, and so it was needed.

9. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

When you click on a virus name when malware is found by AntiVir, the notifier is shown with a description (if available).

That information comes from our homepage, so you don't need the notifier to get that info, you can directly browse the virus information database with your normal browser.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stefan, is that notifier crap still present in AntiVir ?

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

The question was not directed to me, but since I use it I can answer it. Yes. It is not so bad for a free AV that works so well and is not hard on my older machine. ;)

12. Stefan Kurtzhals

Why the people get upset with the notifier? I work on/with AntiVir all day, I don't even notice the window anymore, practically pressing OK on the notifier window automatically. ;-)

Oh and I never use the scheduler to update, what for? When I perform a scan I want the latest signatures so I quickly perform a manual update every time.

BTW, with Heuristic 2.5 released now, how many people here actually enable the heuristic - and on which level?t

13. waters

waters Registered Member

One mouse click and its gone.In return you get an advanced+ free antivirus ,not bad

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Medium before and now maximium.

By the way u don,t feel the notifier as it,s urs.

15. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Stefan, which level would you advise setting the heuristic level? I've tried on high and it does seem to throw up some FPs.

Also, I would like to say, I have no problem with the notifier considering it is such a powerful AV for free.

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

I advise highest level, just don't delete the reported files but send them to heuristik2 (a.t) avira.com so I can adjust the heuristic rules.

17. duke1959

Hello everyone. I too am pleased with Antivir. My PC seems as fast as when I used AVG Free, plus I can have it set to update automatically more than just once a day unlike AVG. I also have to do manual updates from time to time, which is a good thing, because of how frequently Antivir has them. I also tried Avast, which I liked, but again I believe my PC runs faster with the Antivir Guard running than the Avast Shield by letting programs open quicker. My only dislike about Antivir I have to admit, is the Notifier Window that pops up, but as it was said here it's a small price to pay for such a great FREE Antivirus. I do wonder though if the Notifier Window goes away by itself? I never left it up long enough to find out, but it seems to stay there until ok is hit. By having it go away on it's own even after a short period, I believe would be a nice compromise for all of us loyal Antivir Users. Also does anyone else notice how the avguard exe's memory goes up after update? Mine goes up to around 25MB after one, and seems to stay there, unless I log off and back on. I don't think I see any performance difference however, and was just curious about why this is. Thanks.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Small price for dropping you out of games when this crap pops up? No thanks.
    It did twice and it did with super duper timing to distrupt the most important event. Plus one game just crashed because it cannot handle alt tabbing...
    So i rather use some weaker AV than watch this garbage popping all over the place. Well actually i'm already doing that. :rolleyes:

19. Stefan Kurtzhals

Rejzor, just don't use the scheduler so you won't get any popups during gaming.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not the update popups, that AV Notify crap... Updater can be set to Hidden...

21. duke1959

Hey what about the compromise with the Notifier? LOLOL. But seriously, I have Antivir set to update twice a day without interfering with me, or my wife. One update is set to perform in the morning after my wife uses the PC, so it doesn't interfere with anything she may be doing. Then later that morning, although it does update while I'm on, it is still before it would interfere with anything I may be doing at the time as I'm only surfing on the Internet. Then by having it set to update again in the late evening when I'm not using my PC, (I use cable so I'm always on) it surely doesn't interfere at all, while still assuring I will have all the latest definitions. Now if only that darn Notifier Window would close by itself after a short time. Speaking of which, as I went to get on my PC just now to read this Forum, I had to reboot after seeing the Notifier Window and a message that read about a new Program Update. I couldn't find anything about a new Program Update in the Antivir support forum at this time yet though.

22. Stefan Kurtzhals

Rejzor, right, but the notifier only shows up when you update. When you update manually you have full control when the notifier will pop up.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i don't need AV where i have to keep track for updates. Thats why we know auto updaters for almost decade and a half... Maybe i would but my sister certanly wouldn't. So a no go.

24. duke1959

Stefan, my wife was born in Germany is where you're from? The reason I ask is so maybe then you won't ignore my posts. LOLOL. I'm just kidding, (a little bit) but I must say that when I used a weaker AV, if there wasn't an update of definitions yet between the times it was set to download them, it would miss the update when it finally came out, and I would have to manually update anyway. Which brings me to the Program Update notification I received today. is this a new one? Speaking of notifications. What about that compromise with the Antivir Notify Window? Couldn't it be made to close on it's own? I really am interested in all the questions I asked here today Stefan, and as far as the AV Notify crap rejZoR was talking about. Although I agree, I rather have that crap than the crap Heuristics that I have heard some weaker AV's are known to have. Take care, and I am looking forward to hearing from you Stefan, and anyone else that wold like to answer any of my questions.

25. Stefan Kurtzhals

There was no program update today, just VDF updates and those don't require a system reboot. That is quite weird, are you sure it was the AntiVir updater requesting the update?

I can ask the Windows team about the timer for the notifier, but I have very little hope on that. The marketing guys are very very stuborn on this one. :( I already asked if the notifier could be supressed when a game is running but that request was flat out refused.

Anyway, there are plenty of easy tricks to block the notifier, so I don't really understand the fuss about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.