Ewido 4.0 beta now available

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Chubb, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Guys, first of all, pleeease calm down and stop over-reacting, thanks... :)

I mean, have you paid for beta-testing version 4.0? I highly doubt that! :) I know not all is working as expected but the public beta is something we offer voluntarily (and the way we want or need to...)

We are trying to fix everything asap but I think you can image how much feedback we got (at the beginning even the servers were down) so it needs some time to catch up with all requests and bugs.

Infinity: Sorry for not responding but you sent your PM today at 09:15 AM and posted your complaint message here only 4 minutes later at 09:19 AM... How fast do you expect me to answer?

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi, thanx for responding Peter and I know you do what you can and we can be glad to beta test your software cause it's free .. and just as a sidenote: I do not need need to have the last word on this subject but I pm'd you a lot and already discussed this hips but no one told me the hips would be excluded, I hoped it wasn't and that this new beta release would add a lot more protection then the 3.5 .. at the moment I think it would be better not to upgrade (registration, no extra security added imho, ...)
    /edit: I won't go into details about pm's, that's not the direction I wanted to go but I can prove I've sent 5 pm's mentioning the hips last 3 months ...

5 posts ... bit dissapointed cause everything else could get answered apparently ..

OK Peter, forget I asked those questions .. I'll try to forget that HIPS ...
    take care

3. peter.ewido

I'm receiving so many PMs on different boards that I have to set priorities and sometimes miss something, sorry :(

To all users with registration/login problems:
    Could you please send me a PM with your e-mail-address? I will then reset your password and send it to you, thanks and sorry for the inconvenienec!

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

5. honeybunny

honeybunny Suspended Member

At the Moment there are Updateproblems with your Servers. It shows after trying: Decompression error o_O

6. peter.ewido

Let's say, the rules are not perfect but you can always improve things :)

IE and Firefox

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Will the variable/adjustable heuristics settings (low, medium, paranoid - ) be included in this build Peter?

p.s. thanx for the responses and sorry for any inconvenience I have given you!!!

p.m. sent.

8. honeybunny

A question about manual scanning or the Scanner Settings.

After an manual scan it shows at the Main Suite Side: " Detected Malware so far ( for example ) 14 ".

But at the Scanner Side until or after scanning it shows Scan complet nothing found.

Where's my problem ? In 3.5 i could see every detected Malware until an after scanning.

9. peter.ewido

Do you have the guard set to automatically delete tracking cookies?

10. honeybunny

Yep.

Well i see, you mean, during scanning it shows for example the cookies and deleted at once ? So i could see how many things were generally found, but the parts of cookies better said themself were deleted at once ?

11. peter.ewido

If this setting is on, cookies will be deleted without any information whenever they are detected :)

12. honeybunny

Without any information ? Ok, i see. But what then means " detected Malware so far " for example 14, when i do not know which kind of things were found ?

13. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Only cookies will be silently removed. If there will be other threats detected you will be notified about that ;)

BR

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Any plans to add support for Opera?

15. honeybunny

Yep, thats the point. It shows me for example detected 14 on the main side of the suite, but on the scanning side it shows found nothing.

16. vinzenz.ewido

I was talking about the guard, not about the scanner, if there will be any other cookies they will be shown in the scan as well.

But if there are no tracking cookies what should ewido show you in the scanner?
    :blink:

BR

17. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

Sorry to be pedantic Vinzenz, but you do mean only tracking cookies will be silently removed ( I hope not all cookies), right?

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes or no?

19. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

This is positive criticism so please take it with no offense.

First, Ewido 4.0 is a beta, not a trial. Thus, I fail to comprehend why you are offering it as a thirty day trial to all non-registered users. You are just limiting how much testing is going to take place, and maybe lose customers who wanted to test the beta for you and see how well it reacted on their pc.

Second, even when Ewido is told NOT to start up, guard.exe still runs and takes 1,000 KB RAM and 30,000 KB VM, which is very large, and completely uneccessary since it does NOTHING when Ewido is not running.

Third, I do not see many if any memory optimizations. It takes over 70,000KB VM on my pc and nea 30,000 KB RAM, which is more than my av, firewall, and webfilter combined! Also, CPU is horrible when apps open, or even when the start menu is opened.

Fourth, offer cookie support for Opera. It is becoming more and more a popular browser.

Fifth, include a help file. It would greatly benefit new users, and the websites few FAQ's don't help that much.

I will post back with some more comments if I find anything else to improve the project.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks Alphalutra for pointing this out. I was going to trial Version 4.0, but I think I will wait a little bit...

I deactivate real time monitoring on version 3.5 because it is using too much RAM, so I will not install this version if it is even worse.o_O

21. vinzenz.ewido

First of all I need to say, I don't know everything. e.g. what will be added in future.

Please take a look what I said here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=117636

I'm wondering why you think that it is doing nothing. If you have a plus or trial version and enabled realtime protection the guard is still monitoring and will notify you about the infections.

Hmm That's really strange.

But while scanning that's normal if it uses more RAM
    You should have a look how much it is using while it is minimized to tray and idles. What will be the most time the application is running.

We'll see what will come but first of all we need to fix all the bugs are already in the 4.0 beta. After fixing them we will starting improving things and adding new features, but I can't tell you if it will come or not.

That is not only the interface to the FAQ but the way how to get to the support but I agree what you're saying about a help file. However *I* can't promise anything about this issue.

One further question, do you know where Virtual Memory is stored at?

BR

22. vinzenz.ewido

First the bugs than we will take a look what we can do in future.

BR

23. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Things can only get better, so a good product can only get better ;)

I wasn't clear, I disabled the shield and startup due to the high resource usage and to see whether it was ewido's problem or not, and it was

Yeah, I thought it was a bit high...
    It wasn't scanning unfortunately :doubt:

Yep, C:\pagefile.sys, its roughly 1.5 GB, and my RAM is 1 GB

Good luck with the program, I will keep you posted and how it is with my pc.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

24. peter.ewido

The help file will available in the final version. ;)

25. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Well some of us have uninstalled 3.5 and have activated 4.0 beta with the licenses we have bought for 3.5.So yes we have paid.
    On the other hand I agree that all these questions can cause a buffer overflow...:D :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.