AppDefend Final Version?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by nights, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nights

nights Registered Member

I am waiting and waiting for months
    when will the final version be released?

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

It'll be ready when it's ready ;)
    I know we all hate having such answear but it's life
    Planned Schedule for product release only stand for medium size buisness.
    Small one cannot predict a date and prefer to release product when it's well polished. Bigger compagny à la microsoft have to deal with too complex code.

THe best you can hope anything soon is a new beta
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=118902

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

it´s so much work to make a good program, it can take years for a one man show :)
    Example: a good role playing game needs about 3-5 years development at a team size of 40-80 workers, what do you think how long it would need to do this alone? 250 years? Now you know what action on planet earth is most time consuming..

4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

SystemJunkie,
    To be fair to Jason I expect that he is off doing the research required to keep the program at a high standard (with whatever new features are being offered). On the other hand I can certainly understand people wanting to see feedback (of any sort).

I somehow doubt that Jason is going to adopt the motto "its just around the corner", but it has been a bit longer than expected without feedback so its certainly not unreasonable to ask for some.

As both yourself and f3x pointed out designing and producing software like this that works well and is polished is a non-trivial task, just look at all the threads concerning Firewall and HIPS alerts

5. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

This reminds me of TDS4 very much! :ninja:

6. berng

berng Registered Member

It would be decent if he at least checked into this forum once a week. It is his forum and he should show more interest. I really can't see that taking too much of his time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  7. Optimist

I agree with you.

I am sorry that I have a licence bought for AppDefend for already.

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Sorry you feel this way. AppDefend is a good app and will only get better. It takes time to produce good software like this.

Thanks,

Chris

9. Optimist

A better information politics would already be a great progress.:cautious:

Regards
    Bernd

10. berng

berng Registered Member

Beta apps are posted on forums so the user community can find bugs and recommend enhancements, leading to new betas and finally the release. This iterative beta development cycle gets you the really good user friendly software. I see that with process guard. They put up a beta, its discussed, bugs are found and improvements are recommended. This is the way to go if you don't have a QA group.

Here I don't see this. The current beta has been around for 6 months and discussed to death. Jason is very good and APPGUARD for a first beta is very impressive but Jason can't think of everything.

If Jason no longer wants to post Betas, he should let us know.

Jason could also spend at least an hour every week replying to forum posts. His last post was three weeks ago. An hour a week comes to 9 hours every two months - one development day delay.

11. Optimist

The use of Security software presupposes confidence in the manufacturer. The behaviour of Jason already arouses doubt about whether his company still exists at all.

12. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

This is speculation.o_O But I agree that Jason could make some effort to answer the questions once a week.;)

13. james246

james246 Registered Member

On April 3rd Jason indicated to me that App Defend was progressing, and thar the beta testers will have something new to play with in a few days and if that goes well it won't be long
    So far in my opinion Jason's AppDefend/RegDefend combination has raised the bar in security protection, I think he should be left to it and not be put under pressure to rush something out.

14. Optimist

It is surely a speculation. But the speculation has her cause in the missing information by Jason.

15. gottadoit

Optimist,
    As to confidence in the manufacturer, just looking at deliverables Jason has a good track record in that the programs work pretty much as advertised.

Its a fairly big step to conclude that the glass is half empty (or empty even) just because Jason hasn't been active on the forums for a little while...

16. Optimist

For the explanation of my impatience: I have bought AppDefend and not known that it is a beta version. My unsatisfactory knowledge of English is possibly the cause. In addition, it is also very unusual to sell a beta version. If a manufacturer, however, sells a beta version, then he has in my opinion the duty to inform his customers about the progress in the development of the final release, too.
    I do not want to talk about Jason badly. He is surely a very good programmer. But the care of the customer relations also is part of a successful business.

17. gottadoit

Optimist,
    All I can say is that Jason is progressing with the updated version (I know this from emailing him a week or two ago) and that there were some technical reasons due to some internal changes why he hadn't released more frequent incremental updates for the beta (as he normally would).

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Optimist

I can understand your frustration, missing the fact that this is beta software is easy because it is basicly not stated on the AppDefend product page that it actually is beta software!

The fact that the second beta is not forthcoming despite a post by Jason on the 5th of jan stating 1-2 weeks, is of course going to have customers wondering what is going since this is more than 3 months ago with no or very little info during this time.

I bought both Reg & Appdefend and can wait for a more stable/complete version than the present AppDefend beta, i have other tools of the same mold i can use until then, i mainly bought the licenses to support what i thought was something that could become interesting in the future and i like to support smaller vendors, but i hope for those that have bought it thinking this was a finished product, that Jason would get a more finished version out soon............:)

19. Optimist

@ gottadoit
    Thank you for your information.

@ Don Pelotas
    Thank you for the understanding. I am fortunately not dependent on AppDefend either. I have KAV 6.0.0.299 and PG. ;)

Regards
    Bernd

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think it may be a little presumptuous to jump to the conclusion that he has abandoned anything. I don't know Jason, and am not a customer, but I would be more concerned that everything is ok with him. With a one man operation, if something happens to that one man there's nobody else to cover for him the way there would be in a corporation.

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason is fine, I have had recent contact with him and he has had ongoing major hardware & communication problems which are being addressed.

He is very frustrated by all this as you can imagine and itching to get back into the thick of it :D

Pilli

22. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Nice to hear Jason is fine.:thumb: Thanks Pilli

23. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Pilli, thank you for the Jason update. It is good to hear he is well.

24. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Pilli

Thank you for the heads up on Jason.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

25. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Sorry for the sparse presence on Wilders recently, I have been having some hardware issues with my main development machine which has made me reconsider the way I do the development (I pay the price for having the fastest and newest hardware ;) ) . Now it will be spread across multiple machines with multiples ways to continue development rather than waiting for spare parts from suppliers.

On the issue as to why AppDefend has taken longer, it is because of things like the firewall aspect being improved (basically an optimized version of the big brand firewalls internally) and a probably world first approach to multi-user support (with benefits to single users also). This is only a small aspect of why it has taken longer than I anticipated, when doing new things it is always longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.