Security Choice

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mikel108, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Here is an interesting question I was asked at work today. A co-worker uses their computer for the odd email (they use web based Yahoo!Mail). They check the weather, read the local and national newspapers and do a little surfer to sites of interest. Basically very safe surfing. They said in 5 years they have only had 4 alerts. 3 from Yahoo!Mail and 1 from their Norton antivirus. They have always used Norton AV, ZoneAlarm free and currently using SpySweeper. Basically whatever Staples had on the shelf. Because of their very safe habits they want to go to one program to run with windows firewall. This is what they want. The reasoning is that they noticed most AV's now include major spyware programs. I was asked my choice.

The question I put to the Wilders forum is, if you were only going to run one program with windows firewall, what would it be? I suggested NOD, KAV 2006 (when it comes out) or maybe even Prevex 1. It is an odd request to ask of security program junkies;) I know.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would also consider Online Armor, as well as KAV 6.0 when out.

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

At this moment, I would pick KAV 6. Its webscanner, enhanced file scanner and the possibility to activate Proactive Defense (not sure if the users you describe would know how to handle it) make it a very complete protection package, IMO. :)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-Secure Internet Security, affords very good protection.

bigc

5. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

I agree F-Secure affords very good protection.

But i am not 100% sure that F-Secure have a very good protection on Heuristic Detection meaning on: Proactive Defense...

But remains to test it.

6. mikel108

Thanks I forgot about OA

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-Secure does use the kav engine plus three more. ;)

8. mikel108

I agree that F-Secure is a great program. However from talking to the fellow I get the impression that he wants the easiest way possible. His computer is only on for about 1 hour a day. He lets it automatically update and manually scans once in a blue moon. I really think that firewall settings and pop ups are something he does not want. Just something to kill malware, a very minimalistic approach. Like I said its hard for a security junkie. I told him to run several things...not his cup of tea. My mother-in-law is exactly the same way. She is behind a router, and runs nothing else. She allows me to run an online scan evry few weeks when I am there. In 6 years I have yet to find anythingo_O

9. TradeMark

Man what are you talking about :p
    I mean have you not notice that almost every AV now has a Option there you could type to now bother not to disturb you when it detect's a Threat...?!
    So i belive which AV you use i think you can click to not show you each time it detected something, and please search for some screen shots and search in google.com about diffrient AV's download a 30-day trial and which one you think fit into your PC then choose it.
    Thats my advice to you! Good Luck:cautious:

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Nod is the obvious choice, good AV with little to configure , works out of the box & small footprint, he'll never know it's running, but I would also suggest adware free for clean up, quick straight forward...don't know what browser he uses but IMHO Opera is light & secure & no popups...

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

f-prot. its light on resources, has good detection rates, and on winxp needs virtually no configuration. there is also nod32 but not everyone is or may be comfortable with its interface.

12. mikel108

Hey Trademark, what I am talking about is something that handles all malware fairly well...one program...thats it...no suite....no fuss....to work with windows firewall....easy concept..for some.....

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will say, any good AV with included antispyware function( NAV, McAfee, Panda etc, ...there are many I will say again) will do the job.( if any one disagrees, he should give any good raeson). What I am guessing, he is a real ordinary user who don,t want to reply the pop ups, why to bother him.

BTW, he must take care of phishing or spoofing by any other ways( if he is using internet for shopping etc).

14. TradeMark

Mikel108 i understand that. But i mean't about if the AV you choose there is always a Option in the most of AV's out there, you could type about to not bother you if the AV detects and delete's a malware for example,
    Almost all AV's has this option.
    Like i said, now you got some advice from diffrient user's just pick up one and test it 30-day trial.
    Good Luck to you.o_O

~snipped comment and contents of a PM ... A PM is a private message please keep it that way~ dog

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  15. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

KAV will have the best all around detection for trojans, spyware, worms, viruses, etc. once you enable extended databases. You will have a little configuration and it will protect from nearly all baddies out there. NOD32 is also good, but the all around detection isn't as strong, and there aren't any "extended databases". It requires much more configuration, but it seems simpler due to blackspears guide located in the forum here. These will offer minimal popups(actually none unless some malware is found) so they should be suitable for the person you are helping.

Alphalutra1

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I would tell this to your co-worker.Stop being selfish and get good protection.Anyone who uses the internet whether it's an hour a day/week, doesn't matter, it is their responsibility to at least try to ensure their computer is not infecting others.Using the windows firewall to achieve this would be like boiling the water to make spagetti with the strainer.

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Should my username be changed to "Thread Killer"?.

18. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

With their habits, a free AV would be enough. What browser are they using? IE settings should be tightened up, or switch to Firefox or whatever.

19. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I disagree a little with what you are saying. Windows firewall is a great inbound firewall for those who either don't want to configure rules or don't understand rules. It does its job--- it filters good and bad packets. IMO, application filtering is a last resort. Only after your av and other scanners haven't detected it, then it should attempt to spring into action to prevent it from "phoning home". However, a good av that is updated frequently and has excellent detection such as KAV or NOD32 combined with a good inbound firewall(such as CHX-I, Ghostwall, Windows firewall) has never failed me or people I recommend this setup to, unless they go asking for trouble(aka they p2p for illegal downloads, visit warez and crack sites, etc.).

Alphalutra1

20. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

dont get f-secure to much $$$ you can get kaspersky.cybersrub,defender pro, avk(all use kaspersky engine) for a cheaper price

21. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I would have to say BitDefender9, one uncheck and it wont ask again.

22. mikel108

Thanks for the Help. I gave him a few suggestions. I guess I should be happy that he at least wants to run one thing and he is willing to pay for a good product. Many people still do not run anything.

@ Trademark---Thanks for understanding a very frustrating and just plain bad day....and the stupidy that followed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.