Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xristos86, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I can vouch för that you dont have to write any review. I bought this program and got the 50% discount (thanks to beetlejuice and the coupon he posted here). It was a good promotional offer imo. I might not be the smartest person on this earth (I guess I have more money than brain) but I did buy it without testing it first, just because of the pretty good offer :)
    If I dont like it or it dont play well on my system I will give it away to a friend who is looking for this kind of program. He has more brains but no money ;)

2. mango

mango Registered Member

ill be testing it out over the weekend.

Im just tired of having various backups over the years made by different softwares, spread along a couple of laptops and pc`s. so now im taking my time choosing

Ive tested restorit for a week now, and as i understand that one is similare to rollback in function.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

mango~ I for one would be very interested in reading your comparitive observations between RestoreIT and RollBack RX. An ex-GoBack friend of mine swears by (not at) RestoreIT, but then again, he never tried RollBack Rx. ~pv

4. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Did someone try a CHKDSK with Rollback Rx? Since I have Rollback Rx install I can't do a Chkdsk? I always receive a message telling me that it is impossible to open direct access to the "volume" (I don't know the exact translation of volume but it is probably meaning "drive" in english).

Thanks,
    Atomas31

PS. : I have Windows XP with Sp2

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, VERY interesting. Remember, with RollBack you also cannot use the MS or any third-party defragger. Well, you can use them, no harm is done, but the RollBack folks admit that your hard drive will not get defragged. That is why RollBack comes with its own built-in defragger; only by using the RB defragger will you now be able to defrag your hard drive. Just what in tarnation is RB doing to the hard drive? I'm not saying that it is doing anything "bad", it probably is not, but ... JUST WHAT IS IT DOING??

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Even the uninstall is quite unique. You just need to leave things alone while uninstalling. What happens:

1) You go to the start menu select Rollback and select Uninstall
    2) It start the uninstaller and very quickly tells you to reboot.
    3) When you reboot, it comes back up to the preboot console and first
    does what it calls an uninstall, and then an update.
    4) Then it boots back into windows and once windows is up it then goes
    back into the uninstall procedure, where it removes the program.

Pete

7. mango

mango Registered Member

hm, beginning to get second thoughts about rollback.

no other defragger, and the uninstall seems, well, different.

And its a new program.

On my test laptop, restoreit uninstall was very simple. And that program makes a hidden partition and boots to that before winxp.

just some quick things about restoreit

+boots to its "console" partition before windows. VERY useful on a laptop in the field where bootcd etc isnt always available. Can continue work that day.
    +fast incremental create and backup
    + file recovery by right click on a file for previous versions, or in program for deleted ones.
    +easy scheduling and doesnt slow pc down

-right now im unable to delete any incremental points. It says it will delete auto, but doesnt. Cant save them externally when low on space
    -Everything reasent will be gone when reverting back

- Big one: experienced 2 crashes when i forced a "hard shutdown". Program came up with error "may need reinstall", and the incremental points were damaged. (i forget what word they use) So reinstalled the program.

8. Peter2150

Hi Mango

Yes the install is different, but so what. Main thing is to know what to expect and let it do it's thing. So far Rollback Rx Pro has done everything advertised with no problems.

As to the defragging. You can defrag with other defraggers, but they are just fighting each other. Defragging the snapshots runs very quickly and my drive according to Perfect Disk hasn't fragmented much. At this point, I can't find a fault with this.

Probably the biggest issue would be the Imaging issue. I have discussed this with Rollback folks, and they seem intent on making it easier. Time will tell.

Pete

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, according to the Rollback website defragging with anything other than the RB defragger is useless. This from their website:

"Do I need to disable Rollback Rx before a defrag of my hard drive to prevent from losing any snapshots?

No.. Defrag won't damage the system or lose the snapshot, it just won't help either... Rollback Rx is managing all the disk sectors, its understanding of the "fragmentation" is different and better than the Windows file system; therefore running a file system based defrag won't help much. Rollback has a build in defrag feature, it's much faster and efficient. We recommend using the built in defrag feature."

And also this:
    "Can I use Roxio Perfect Disk or any other third party Disk Defrag software?

Firstly -Yes, you can use the "Roxio Perfect Disk" to defrag the drive with Rollback Rx installed.

In fact you can use any defragmenting tool on a Rollback Rx protected system. It won't damage the snapshots or system. However the defrag won't help much (or anything), because the defragmenting tool will not know the Rollback Rx Data strcuture..."

Acadia

10. Peter2150

More on the defragging. What Acadia posted is 100% correct and confirmed by Rollback Support. In fact I tried it. What I found is where Perfect Disk normal zips thru a good part of my disk quickly because I keep it defragged, it slogged thru 1% at a time. Then when I went back and defragged the snapshots internally with Rollback, it had to do the same thing, so it would appear they are working against each other.

Tonight I wanted to test something, so it meant uninstalling 3 programs, and then reinstalling a different version of one of them.

With FDISR, I'd have refreshed my secondary snapshot, done the test, then booted to the secondary and refreshed my primary, and then booted back to the primary. From experience when I'd have looked in Perfect Disk I'd have seen some scattering/defraging of files.

What I did with Rollback was first made a Pretest snapshot, and then a test snapshot. I then defragged the snapshots. It all took about a minute. I then ran the test, and restored to the pretest snapshot. It was indeed all back like it was supposed to be. I then cleaned up some of the extra snapshots. THen I checked in Perfect Disk to see what the disk looked lilke, and there was absolutely no file scattering.

I have no clue how they are doing this, but judging by the results......

Pete

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

My email to Rx was about why they didn`t have forums cuz there was a member here saying that that was misleading when Wilders was mentioned on their site. I just asked if they planned on starting their own and that there was an interest in Rx from a few members. That post just had the info in it that I posted and the code if someone wants to use it. Now whether they do or not is up to them. I don`t have anything to do with Rx other then use the product, I also own ISR so...:)

12. xristos86

xristos86 Registered Member

Guys,I found a possible catch...As I read,the registration/activation procedure of Rollback Rx is the following:
    -You get a Product ID and install the product.
    -You get the Product ID and a Registration ID and send it to them whether online or by phone/fax.
    -They send you a Registration Code which you enter and that is all.
    BUT the Registration ID (and as a result the Registration Code) are based on your hardware(more accuratelly:your HDD signatures).
    And my question:
    What if I change my HDD(because of damage or capacity or anything else) but am still the same usero_OI assume (based on the above) that I won 't be able to register Rollback Rx on my new HDD (or even new computer if I buy a new one)...
    What do you have to say on that?I find it really annoying and I practically can 't re-buy Rollback Rx each time I change my HDD...Does anyone know anything about it and what Horizon Datasys has to say on the above?

13. pvsurfer

Thanks for that overview mango. By 'hard shutdown' do you mean you didn't allow any running program-files (including RestoreIT) to close? ~pv

14. mango

mango Registered Member

i powered off the laptop by holding in the power button.

This when i converted a MPEG-4 to xvid, cpu was at 80%. This just as a test, and it seems like restoreit didnt like it 2 out of 4 times.

With a laptop these things can happen, and thats why restore programs are important.

So, it isnt a bulletproof system. Thats why im still on the fence, if the laptop suddenly shuts down and restoreit gets corrupted you better wish that you can boot into winxp afterwards to reinstall it.

15. Peter2150

I have had to do this many times. No sweat for FDISR and so far no problems for Rollback.

Pete

16. Peter2150

Welcome to the real world. This is equally true with all Microsoft products, Safe'n'Sec, Online Armor, all the Scansoft products(Omnipage,Paperport, etc)
    It's the price we pay for software pirating.

Having said all that most likely just replacing the hard drive probably won't require reactivation. A lot of this systems look at several of the hardware items and score the system. Just replacing the hard drive alone probably won't cause a problem.

Also I haven't yet found a vendor who's hassled me when I've had issues and needed new keys.

Pete

17. sukarof

Is it just my system or does this happen to you:

Whenever I do something in Rollback, like creating a new snapshot or deleting snapshots, that operation is really quick, like ten seconds or so. But after a couple of minutes SHDserv.exe takes 100% of the CPU for 3-4 minutes. Like it is updating what I have done in the GUI.

18. Peter2150

I haven't noticed it. One thing I am doing is every time I add or delete a snapshot I defrag the snapshots. That may be what is happening.

19. sukarof

Jeez, thanks Peter2150. Thats it. I checked the log and noticed that it defragged everytime after I did my deletion/creation.
    Not to myself - In the future- Look in the log before asking questions :oops:

20. pvsurfer

mango~ While that situation happens to all of us sooner or later, it should not be all that strange for it to cause a 'hic-cup' in any program running at the time - not to imply that will happen, but it very well could.

I would apprciate hearing more about RestoreIT as you gain more experience using it. ~pv

21. Peter2150

Don't feel bad. This program has been a interesting and fruitful learning experience.

22. Peter2150

Several of us have been scratching our heads on the where oh where is my data. With First Defense which is file based you can look in your Defrag map and see the files. With Rollback o_O? So I did an experiment.

Note first of all the .07% figure that the rollback site mentions. That is for the indexing system, not the data. Turns out the data is also there. It's just kept based on a mapped sector system as opposed to a file system.

The experiment.

1) I created a snapshot called test, and then one retest.
    2) I then restored test so that is the snapshot I was in.

I looked at my PerfectDisk Map, and also noted my drive usage:

17,843,699,712 bytes

3) I then copied a 467MB file to my desktop

Looked at PerfectDisk Map and there the file was in all it's glory.

Drive Usage: 18,325,60,304

So there was my file in plain site.

4) I then restored the retest snapshot.

I then again looked at PerfectDisk and my file had disappeared.

Drive Usage: 18,390,188,032

So now my snaps looked like this:

Current System (the starting point)
    Test (had the large file)
    Retest (I was in this snapshot.)

5) I deleted snapshot Test

Didn't expect to see anything in Perfect Disk

Drive Usage 18,392,334,336 Hmm Space still there.

6) Did the Rollback defrag

Drive usage now 17,847,468,032 Now the file is gone.

So clearly the files are there, and the disk is being used. Just the traditional windows tools might not see them.

This seems to be one powerful program, but it does require the user to keep one's witts about them.

So far I am liking it.

Pete

23. sukarof

Thanks for your research. Could one say that RB does its work mainly in the file allocation table?

24. Peter2150

Hi Sukarof

I don't think so. I "think" what it does is store the data as sectors and keeps track of it with it's index map. That would explain why Perfect disk saw the file in the snapshot, but not when it wasn't. The disk numbers do indeed confirm something is there.

Pete

PS. Had an opportunity to test the file recovery, ie retrieving a file from another snapshot. Worked just as advertised, saving time again.

Pete

25. sukarof

yup, done that too. It is hard not to be enthuastic about this program :)

Now I notice that they have a drive image software that will work with Rollback Rx for free. Has anyone tried that yet? If not I´ll try to do that this weekend and give some feedback. If it works, then that will be the last weight in favor of Rollback over Firstdefence (for me). Firstdefence is a great program, no doubt about that, and it feels a bit more robust than RB, but RB is just so much more flexible imo.

well, I might add, if someone is thinking "social marketing" here, that I have only used this program for a couple of days, and Firstdefence has served me well for almost a year. There might be problems ahead, but this far, after using it quite extensively, I still havent found anything that has made me doubt RB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.