Acronis True Image 9.0 Trial Version Uninstall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ciscoguy, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciscoguy

ciscoguy Registered Member

Need help uninstalling the components that the "Control Panel" removal did not get. My PC at boot up still is looking for a missing disk (cables are unconnected) and I am occationally getting the "Blue Screen of Death". The trial version was 9.0.
    Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ciscoguy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please follow the below instructions in order to completely uninstall the free trail version of Acronis True Image 9.0:

For Windows 98/Me:

- Delete Acronis Secure Zone either through the wizard or manually
    - Delete \windows\system\iosubsys\snapman.vxd
    - Open Device Manager and remove Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer
    - Delete \windows\system\iosubsys\timntr.pdr
    - Run regedit and delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\snaphlp
    - Delete \windows\system\snaphlp.vxd
    - Delete \windows\system\snapapi.dll
    - Run regedit and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tib
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tis
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tibfile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Acronis True Image Monitor
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TrueImage
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\AcronisDevices

- Reboot the computer
    - Download http://www.acronis.com/files/support/schedmgr.exe, open MS-DOS command prompt and run the following command in the folder you saved the file to: schedmgr service uninstall
    - Delete \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage
    - Delete \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis
    - Delete TrueImage from Start\Programs\Acronis
    - Delete the shortcut from Desktop
    - Reboot the computer

For Windows 2000/XP/2003:

- Delete Acronis Secure Zone either through the wizard or manually
    - Delete snapman from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters
    - Delete snapman and timounter from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters
    - Run Device Manager and delete Acronis Image Archive Explorer
    - Delete snapman, timounter and tifsfilter from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    - Delete TrueImage from the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Autopart (can be absent)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\CDRecord
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Schedule2
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\SnapAPI
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Snapman
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\VBus
    - Delete \Windows\System32\autoprnt.exe if it exists
    - Delete the following folders:
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Drivers
    - Download http://www.acronis.com/files/support/schedmgr.exe, open the command prompt and run the following command in the folder you saved the file to: schedmgr service uninstall
    - Open Task Manager and stop the following processes: schedhlp.exe, TrueImageMonitor.exe
    - Delete the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2
    - Delete the desktop icon and Start menu shortcuts
    - Delete \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis folder
    - Delete \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage folder
    - Delete \Program Files\Acronis folder
    - Delete TrueImage Monitor from the following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    - Delete the following keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:
    .tib
    .tis
    tibfile
    tisfile
    - Delete the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TrueImage
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis (you may need to grant full control permission to yourself to delete this key)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis
    - Reboot the computer.

Please also note that I'm not completely sure what the problem is, but according to your explanation the manual uninstallation might not be the key.

You will probably need to fix your hard drive's MBR in order solve the problem you encounter:

- If you use Windows 95/98/ME then boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- If you use Windows 2000/XP then boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

If you do not have Windows Installation CD for some reason then please fix your hard drive's MBR using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

If neither complete software uninstallation nor fixing your hard drive's MBR helps then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem.

Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appeared step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I'm very sorry to see this kind of a post repeated several times by the Acronis users, and by the lengthly reply from a "tech" of Acronis of how to remove left over uninstalled program items that *should* have been removed by the program's *own* uninstaller. It shows very poor program writing as to the uninstall of the program. It is not unusual to find a few programs that care little about the uninstall being done properly with their program's uninstall, and some 'trash' will be left behind, but this display of a huge amount of 'left overs' is really quite a regretful example of sloppy uninstall routines by the program's writers. Seems all they care about is getting the install completed, and to 'heck' with the uninstall, as who has time for that, especially with v.9 of True Image.

I have no idea how well the earlier versions of Acronis uninstalled, as I've been using a program "uninstaller' that follows installations by a mirror image and therefore will try and put the machine back to the original configuration that it was before the installation of a program, and since I usually will install the newest version of Acronis next, there is no problem unless the programs change some placements of folders in the next version.

I will say this, and this has been quoted by several program critics over the years, that how well a program is written *includes* it's uninstall routine, and it is obvious that the writer's of Acronis True Image v9 failed miserably in that effort.

...Allen :thumbd:

4. Acronis Support

Hello Allen L.,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that it is rather hard to find a piece of a modern software that completely uninstalls itself by means of it's own uninstaller. The point is that the most of the above listed components (especially registry keys) just can not be removed automatically because of the Windows embedded registry protection (registry permissions) and some Microsoft Installer peculiarities.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Before you try the manual edit of the Registry, run Ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com and see if it helps.

6. ciscoguy

Thanks for the replies. I did a brief review of the items you listed to delete manually. Almost all of them are already gone (probably due to an automatic removal via Control Panel wizard). Several questions.

1. A couple of items listed delete snapman and timounter from several registry keys in "Upperefilters". Not sure what snapman or timounter is? The only present item was a key itself named "Upperfilters.
    2. You list "Run Device Manager and delete Acronis Image Archive Explorer". Again either not sure what this is or I cannot find an item with that name in the Device Manager.
    3. You may be correct regarding my MBR. The issue is when I reboot my PC before XP actually comes up I get a prompt saying "Disk 1 cannot be found hit F1 to continue or ................" When I used Acronis I had a second Disk which I cloned to and then disconnected it. Will running fixmbr correc this at boot up prompt and remove it.

7. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

You should take some time to understand a little more about Windows and how the O/S works before you start putting blame on Acronis software developers....you know, open mouth....insert foot:gack:

I've been using Acronis True Image for a couple of years and it is an EXCELLENT product that is really worth more than what they are selling it for!

I'm fixing to upgrade to the new version 9.0, and I'm going to buy the full version...even though I could save a few bucks by upgrading.

IMHO it's such a good product that has saved my back side more than once, that I'll gladly pay for the full version!

8. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I've been using Acronis since they first came on the market with their first version, and I do think they have a very good product line. In fact I never tried a trial version of the product. After researching and reading technical reviews, I got the complete full version with each volume number change. I think they 'dropped the ball' on this version by rushing to market with a product that wasn't tested well enough, and I would venture to say that a lot of people on this forum, and elsewhere, will agree with my viewpoint to that issue. Possibly even Acronis themselves would admit they released this version too soon before full testing was completed. I stand by my statement on the uninstall of version 9. I believe the earlier versions had a much cleaner uninstall routine written into the program. As to how well I know Windows or other OS's is for me to know and for you to guess...

Allen

9. ciscoguy

Can somebody answer my three unanswered questions? I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    1. A couple of items listed delete snapman and timounter from several registry keys in "Upperefilters". Not sure what snapman or timounter is? The only present item was a key itself named "Upperfilters.
    2. You list "Run Device Manager and delete Acronis Image Archive Explorer". Again either not sure what this is or I cannot find an item with that name in the Device Manager.
    3. You may be correct regarding my MBR. The issue is when I reboot my PC before XP actually comes up I get a prompt saying "Disk 1 cannot be found hit F1 to continue or ................" When I used Acronis I had a second Disk which I cloned to and then disconnected it. Will running fixmbr correc this at boot up prompt and remove it.

10. noonie

noonie Registered Member

There is absolutely no difference between the full version and the upgrade version of Trueimage other than the validation requirements.

11. Acronis Support

Hello ciscoguy,

The point is that these components has already been removed by the automatic uninstaller.

First of all, please check whether the hard drive you try to boot from is set up as master (check jumpers and cable) and the boot sequence is properly configured in your computer's BIOS.

If that's not the case then please fix you hard drive's MBR in one of the above described ways.

If that does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Can you confirm that you have unplugged one of the hard drives prior to booting into Windows for the first time?

- Provide the full text of the error message you receive on computer bootup;

- Are you able to boot into Windows?

- Clarify when exactly you receive BSOD;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach the report created to your request along with the information requested above and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. kdkrone

kdkrone Registered Member

Check with the tech staff. The method changed with the most recent builds (~3,633 or so).

KK

13. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

I confirm what kdkrone has said. You can find the updated instructions in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.