Boot disk creation failure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by C-Man, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Man

C-Man Registered Member

Hey all,

I have heard nothing but raves from all the reveiws I read about Aconis True Image 7-9. I have been looking into buying Norton ghost 10 or True Image 9. I like the additional options offered by Acronis, but I have had no luck in getting it to work. I tried 9 eariler 9.0.2445 and it was horrid. It kept giving me a user abort failure everytime a new DVD-R was needed. I Downloaded the newest trial version 9.0.2337 and it fixed the failure when another DVD was needed. I have a New Dell B130 1.73GHZ pentium M with 1GB of memory and a 8X DVD-+R, 2.4X DL DVD, 24X CD-RW burner. It works well when I use Roxio 8, Windows XP drag n drop or any other program for burning CDs or DVDs (like Clone CD and clone DVD). I have SP2 (Yes I read the fix on this site, but my CPU says my version of the fix is newer than the one I try to install the download and fails the install) and all critical and non critical updates installed including .Net framework 2.0 (.net 1.1 or higher required for ghost). True Image will not recognize my drive as a CD-R or CD-RW (and it is a Toshiba TSST DVD + - RW TS-L532B).

Why is it that True image will not create a boot disk on a DVD, CD-R and even if I format a CD-Ro_O?

I cant figure out why??

I really like the fact that it has USB boot abilities. I could use this feature.

Ive checked all my settings for the CD/DVD player as well as the settings for True Image. Nothing seems to be wrong, but the Boot disk failure says otherwise. I always get something like "Failed to Burn disk" and under the log it says that maybe my media is substandard. I tried Memorex and Imation CD-R s.

Is there a comapatability issue for combo CD-R DVD+-R drives on laptops that isnt an issue on desktops??

I have a friend who loaned me Ghost 9 and it created a boot disk and DVD set of 3 disks without a flaw on my laptop.

Im lost and thinking of going Ghost myself....but ive always been anti norton due to the sucking sounds its other software (anti virus and security) makes as it devours my memory and pocessor abilites.

Help:)

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi C-Man,

Firstly, forget DVDs. TI can only create a bootable rescue CD to blank CD-R or CD+/-RW (unformatted) media.

Some well known workarounds for you to try:

- Disable/remove Roxio's Drag-to-Disk software (usually the cause of the problem).
    - When prompted to insert the blank CD, leave the drawer open and then click "Proceed". TI will close the door manually and (hopefully) burn the rescue CD.
    - Disable Windows XP's built-in CD recording (Open "My Computer", right click on the CD/DVD recorder and select "Properties". Select the "Recording" tab and uncheck the "Enable CD recoding on this drive" tickbox).
    - Reboot your computer into Widows SAFE mode (F8 whilst Windows is booting up) and try creating the CD from there.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It looks like you have tried a blank "virgin" CD to create the bootable CD. If this is the case then the problem is likely to be the Toshiba device. There have been other reports here with Toshiba laptop owners having problems with TI. Now I realize your system is not a Toshiba laptop, but it is highly likely that in those laptops the cd/dvd device would be Toshiba - see the connection?

So if what Menorcaman suggests, does not work, check into getting ahold of, say, a usb cd burner, even if temporarily, and see if that works.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello C-Man,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please try the workarounds suggested by Menorcaman.

If none of them helps then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also do the following:

- Start command prompt;

- Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder;

- Run "cdrecord –scanbus > scanbus.txt" command and collect the scanbus.txt file.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.