Problem with trial and wiresless network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by johnnyz, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyz

johnnyz Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm hoping somebody here can provided some help with a problem I've been experiencing with the Trueimage trial program.

I have a home wireless network setup with two PC's connected (a desktop and a laptop), both have wireless connections to a router. I'm having trouble backing up the desktop to an external hard drive (which is connected directly to the router). The backup goes anywhere from 10% to 50%, then fails with the message "the specified network name is no longer available". The desktop is only about 25 feet from the router and has a very good signal - the strange thing is that I can backup the laptop to the external drive over the wireless network without problems even when it's in the same room as the desktop. Both the desktop and laptop have the same network settings in XP.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I did a search on Google and found a few others who had the same problem, but with a competing product (and unfortunately I didn't see any solutions offered). Here is the hardware I'm using:

Dell PC w/XP
    Dell Laptop w/XP
    Linksys wireless rounter with phone ports (WRTP54G)
    LaCie Ethernet Mini Disk

Thanks!
    Johnny.

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

1st try to copy very large files from your desk to the lacie as a test.
    2nd test Ti with a temporary cat 5 cable and a new connection

What wifi card is in your desktop?

3. johnnyz

I'll try the test you suggested which sounds like a good starting point.

My desktop has a Linksys USB wireless adapter.

Thanks,
    Johnny.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

To give you a wild guess even before you test, it may well be your usb wireless.
    When it comes to networking, usb has a bad reputation, even though it is so simple to set up initially.
    Try plugging into different usb ports too.

BTW, Walmart had linksys wireless/g pci cards for $25.00

5. johnnyz

Hmmm, I had thought of that too and, coincidentally, was also thinking of buying the Linksys wiress G PCI card to replace the USB adapter. $25 at Walmart? Think I'll look there first.

Thanks!
    J

6. johnnyz

Okay, well I think I have pretty much ruled out the problem being my wireless USB adapter - I connected my desktop directly to my router with a cat 5 cable, ran another backup and got the same error. So I'm at loss - I emailed Acronis support with the problem - hopefully I'll get some answers.

J

7. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

This is a long shot, but how are you addressing the drive? This Acronis FAQ may help.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello johnnyz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter, so I can track the correspondence? If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. johnnyz

Acronis #463409

10. wez

wez Guest

u mean acronis Trueimage actually support wireless network? wtf? i didnt know that lol wow

just ordered Rock Xtereme CT laptop, should get it by next week, it got Marvell LAN (wired) and Wireless Intel 2915 (802.11a/b/g) Intel 2200 (802.11b/g)

will trueimage 9 support those hardware?

make image and save them over the wireless network? lol i always used LAN connector (wired)

11. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

I've just consulted with the respective person from our Development Team and he assured me that the current version of Acronis True Image does not officially support wireless network. Actually, when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows it sometimes works with wireless network. However, it is unable to recognize this kind of network connection when running in the so-called "standalone" mode (when using Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager), which certainly eliminates the possibility of being able to restore the image in case of the system crash.

The support for wireless network will certainly be implemented in the future versions\builds of a particular product, buy exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Just speculation on my part but would backup and restore work over a wireless network if run from the BartPE with TI plug in?

Xpilot

13. Acronis Support

Hello Xpilot,

I'm afraid that we can not guarantee this, since as I have already mentioned above the current version of Acronis True Image does not officially support a wireless network.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.