AppDefend v1.000 Public Beta

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Jason_R0, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Huh? tlu, does this mean you are able to create rules for a non-administrative account in RegDefend? If so, how? This would go against what is said in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=92470&highlight=administrative Or am I missing something? I apologize if this should be on a different forum.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, it works for me. How? Well, the usual popups, and AD saves my decision as a new rule.

I assume that Jason changed something since then ... but I'm not aware of it, either.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Wow I really must make more of an effort to get on WSF. I have not been around here as much as I used to, since I have started my new job. But wow, upon my return here I see that Jason has come out with what appears to be a very nice looking product.

I have read through this entire thread, but have a few questions.

I am currently a licensed owner of RegDefend. So to try this new beta, I realize I need to uninstall my copy of RD, reboot, and then install the new AppDefend beta as can be found here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=621507&postcount=117

Now, since I am a licensed user of RD, is RD included with this beta install of AD? Or must I install RD over the top of AD?

Are there any special notes of interest regarding AD that I should know of? Like are the default AD settings sufficient? Or is it more like PG and up to the users preference?

TIA for your help. :)

EDIT: One more question. What exactly is the Network protection piece of AD watching? Is it acting like a firewall. E.G. Watching incoming and outgoing traffic?

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Trooper,

The AppDefend beta installer also contains a slightly newer RegDefend beta also. You don't need to reinstall RegDefend, as both AppDefend and RegDefend come in the "Ghost Security Suite" package.

AppDefend network protection is watching outgoing connections started by applications. You will receive alerts in AppDefend for anything which needs your attention, you just answer the prompts like you do in RegDefend to cater it to your system.

5. Trooper

Thanks for the quick response Jason. So would AD do away with a software firewall per se? (I am behind a router so I only use Kerio 2.1.5 to monitor outgoing traffic basically).

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Only if you don't need the ability to either block or allow network traffic based on IP addresses or ports.

This for me, is currently is big problem with AD, since it cannot be truly used for application network control.

It would not be that much work to implement this control, since whenever AD currently alerts on network traffic, AD would only need to check the IP address and port against a list of allowed/blocked values. Jason has mentioned that he may add this feature in the future, but it is not of high priority, which is a shame IMO.

7. marky-mark

marky-mark Guest

What about GhostWall? Doesn't it do that?

8. Defenestration

No, it doesn't. GW has no application control. It only filters network traffic.

AD only gives the option of either completely allowing or completely blocking network traffic for an application. There is no finer grained application control.

9. Trooper

Which is fine tho in my opinion. Unless you are looking for a full out sf firewall as part of AppDefend.

10. Defenestration

I don't expect AD to contain a full out firewall, but would like to be able to control which IP addresses and ports an application can access.

Since AD already shows this information on a network alert, then it only needs to compare the IP address and port against an associated list of allowed/blocked values for the relevant application. This would not take a lot of work to do.

11. Trooper

That would definitely be a nice feature to have. Did you add that to the wish list by chance?

12. spiff5000

spiff5000 Registered Member

I wouldn't add inbound port blocking to AppDefend... MS Firewall is free and handles it well enough. It's a *great* idea to add outbound protection tho - maybe now I won't need to keep ZA. How well does it learn from installed app behavior thoo_O

13. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Agree

AMEN!

Jason you should definitely take note of this feature. You will attract a lot of attention with this feature ($$$'s)!

betauser2

14. arcok

arcok Registered Member

Limited Free Version:D :D *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.