Where to manually download NOD32 virus definition file?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by xp_1839, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xp_1839

xp_1839 Registered Member

Can't find this anywhere at NOD32 web site?
    I'm a new user from previous Symantec Antivirus.

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi xp_1839, welcome to Wilders.

You can't.

You can however check to see if Nod32 is up-to-date by clicking on "Update now".

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

3. xp_1839

Manual Updating......that's I know.

What about a stand-alone pc without internet connection? How to update the definition file?

4. Anubis Prime

Anubis Prime Registered Member

I don't think it's possible. Though if it's a standalone computer, there is very little chance (outside of putting a floppy disk in that contains one of those very old Word macroviruses) you would have to worry about viruses to begin with. If you maybe plugged it into a phone jack once or twice a month to update NOD32 that should suffice--and if you are not at all on the internet or getting email, you've pretty much eliminated todays major vectors for infection.

:)

--Dom

5. MangAnimE

MangAnimE Guest

Needing an Internet connection to update is stupid. I have a PC set up for gaming only, but then I take the risk of being infected by others when connecting to their machines during LAN gaming (most of them use their gaming PC on the Internet also).

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you buy a multi-pack - you'll get the admin version - this version allows you to create "mirror files" - which can be deployed to a CD, Floppy or USB thumb device - updates can then be done from the control center and selecting the drive with the nod_upd folder copied from the mirror - ergo - manual updates ARE possible, but only for those that have the multi-pack and the administrator version of NOD32 installed on at least ONE machine.

7. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, let's look at this:

Thread title - "Where to manually download..."
    You statement - "Needing an Internet connection to update is stupid."

I sense a discrepancy here. :D

If there was indeed a way to manually download a set of defs, you would, by definition, have to connect to the 'net to do so, and NOD could update via its own built in mechanism. Problem solved.

My €0.0165891 worth.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Yes, you would need to connect to the 'net, but that does not mean it has to be with the same computer. The updates could be downloaded on one computer, then transfered over to the other computer some other way (internal network, floppy disk, CD-R, etc.).

It could be a kid's computer upstairs, but it could also be a company's internal server. The company's internal server could be covered by the Admin version, as webyourbusiness states, but most people would not get this just to cover the kid's computer.

9. webyourbusiness

What I described is a way to MANUALLY update a machine from another machine which has download facilities. The OP actually stated they wanted a manual download to a machine without internet - what I outline was a way to use the connection on one machine, via the admin version to update another machine - transport of the files is via some storage device - that seems to be exactly what the OP was after. If you want a way to update some remote computer without using the internet at ANY point - good luck developing your telepathy skills...

So what if the update of the remote computer is MANUAL.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen, let's keep everything cool and calm.

The question has been answered; with a single version of Nod32 this is not possible, with the Admin version it is indeed possible.

Blackspear.

11. xp_1839

Mine is the Admin version with "Mirror" under the Update section.
    Struggling to configure the mirror un-successful after an hour.
    Mirror status shows "Not Configured" though automatic update is working fine!

Anyone kind enough to show step by step instruction to mirror setup?
    Thank.

12. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Basicly, you need to do the following:
    1. enable mirrror
    2. specify the path to store mirrored files
    3. if you want to create mirrored files for component updates, select the desired components (with nothing select, only virus signatures will be mirrored)
    4. if you want to update via HTTP instead of Windows shares, enable this option

How to set up client workstations:
    When updating through Windows shares when either the server or a client is running NT-based Windows and is not being a member of a domain, you'll need to specify a correct login (e.g. domain\username), or you can set NOD32 to connect to the update server as the currently logged user. It's not recommended to use mapped drives but full unc paths (e.g. \\server\nod32upd)

When updating via HTTP, use the url pointing to the mirror followed by the port number (8081 by default) (e.g. http:\\server:8081).

14. xp_1839

There is no manual for Windows 2003/XP 64-BIT - administrator v.2.51.8!

15. xp_1839

I encountered this error when click on "Setup" in Update ...Mirror:

No information about update is available. Prior to configure mirror, please connect at least once to update server. To do so, click on Update in the Update module.

16. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I didn't detect a discrepancy there, it was clear. In some situations, there are computers which may need antivirus protection, but do not have an internet connection. Be they stand alone, or networked...just internet disabled, it's nice to be able to update their definitions once in a while. I myself have had quite a few clients in the past with that type of clumsy setup.

With some AV programs, such as symantec, you can download DAT files onto a floppy or thumb drive, and update those workstations manually, easily. However with NOD, for their stand alone product, it can't be done. When I found that out I was disappointed, but luckily these days I don't have those types of clients anymore, so it's a non-issue for me. But for some people, I'm sure there are some with this situation, and in those cases, I guess NOD32 isn't for them.

I don't know the logic of why they chose not to make DAT files available for download. o_O

17. webyourbusiness

YeOld,

I too don't see how the NOD32 method is different EXCEPT that the machine doing the downloading of the signature files just runs the admin version instead of the regular version.

1 person running the admin version can become the update source for MANY un-wired NOD32 workstations.

The only difference is that updates MUST be originally downloaded by an admin version, rather than a "regular" version of NOD32.

You don't? Think about it.. where is the license validation done?

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    He's talking about stand alone versions here. Other AV programs don't require the enterprise package to do this, and most have an easy DAT .exe updater.

And there are other methods of licensing, successfully implemented by other AV companies.

Regardless, it's a non-issue for me, I dont' have this type of client anymore. But I have had others ask me how to update some stand alone clients....and it sucks having to spell out "It won't work unless you get the EE".

I was just saying I understand where he's coming from, been there, done that, not worth another 30 seconds of my time though.

19. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    It is very very easy to update another stand alone computer manually even if you dont have admin version of NOD. try to extract the idea from this thread. read all replies carefuly and slowly, it is there very clear( I don't think it is wise to say more)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70140&highlight=BSFS

20. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Why don't you not run AV if your not on the internet?
    If folks could download definitions, it would be much easier to pirate?

NOD is one program I don't mind paying for. Its 1/3 the price for 3 times the speed and protection than most of its competitors.

Here is a free isp.. if you don't mind dealing with offers..personally I hate them..

***the next and best option is to use http://www.budgetdialup.com/html/prod.htm

I personally use them as a backup for traveling.. they even have a 1 800 #... 5.95 will give you 10 hours a year, or 9.95 for 20 hours a year.
    Or if you need a true isp.. its one of the cheapest around... 9.95 for 120 hours a month... thats average of 4 hours a day.
    you dont' have to use their software, but it is actually excellent if you do.. it will help you stay current of local #'s if your traveling.

if you have a phone line around, you can always logon just long enough to update... What I dont understand is if there were manual download avaliable, you would have to download them too.. so whats the difference?.. you still need online, or you have to go to alot of trouble to get it from somewhere else and transport it........ 5.95 will do the trick for a whole year!...

I todays modern world,there is no reason not to have internet.... there is a wealth of info and updates out there.

Hope this helps!

21. xp_1839

OK, I'm a system builder, some customers have cable, some ADSL, some dial-up and some totally no internet access at all.....Now you know why I need the manual download option.....Hate to go back to Symantec as it is bloated AV!

22. alglove

If you are a system builder, could you get one copy of the Enterprise Edition for your main computer? You could use that to set up a mirror. You could burn the contents of that mirror to a CD or USB keydrive, take it over to the client's site, and then update it.

As far as I can tell, you do not need the Enterprise Edition over on the client's side. Instead, go into Update --> Setup --> Servers and make the update location "drive_letter:\nod_upd\". It may not be ideal that you have to pay the extra money for an enterprise license up front, but it may be a viable way of producing manual updates.

By the way, I do not have the licensing terms in front of me. If this does run afoul of licensing terms, feel free to edit this post.

23. webyourbusiness

I don't even think you need enterprise - you just need the administrator version, which anyone purchasing more than one license at the same time can get to my knowledge.

24. alglove

Duh, that's right. I just got those two terms mixed up. Enterprise includes the Remote Administrator. Administrator (not Remote) is what includes the mirrors. That's why you are the reseller, and I am not! :p

25. webyourbusiness

I'm still learning day-by-day though Algove! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.