Incremental Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Phil B., Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

On 5/29 I diid a full backup of my system, 22+GB. On 5/30 did an incremental backup, 692+MB, On 5/31 another incremental, 498+MB and on 6/1 another incremental 288+MB. I thought as I did incrementals each day the size of the incremental file would increase each day.

Is the above correct or did I do something wrong? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil B.

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Nope, each incremental is an incremental of the one before. You need to have the base, all "in-between" and your last incremental to be able to restore. So it's true, sometimes they are smaller, sometimes larger.

Differential backups (not currently in TI) are what you are thinking. Here you only need the base backup, and the differential of a certain day to restore the backup - these would have the tendency to grow, as your base backup is getting older and older, and more "different" data is found every day.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Phil B,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Incremental backup is based on the first full backup and on all previously made incremental backups. It contains only changes in drive image that have been made since the last incremental backup (or since the full backup if there is no one incremental yet). You can safely delete the latest incremental backup but you cannot delete the middle one or the oldest one.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

Irina & Tonio,

Thanks for the info re: Incrementals.

Phil B.

5. Acronis Support

Hello Phil B.,

If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. bobat

bobat Registered Member

This graphic is a simple way to visualize the difference between incremental and differential backups.

Attached Files:

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi bobat,

Nice!
    Regards

8. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

Are there plans for a differential backup feature?

I think I would prefer this as I think it would take less space and I wouldn't need to be careful about keeping all the old increments.

Thanks

Lauchlan Mackinnon

9. Acronis Support

Hello Lauchlan,

We do plan to implement differential backup feature in future versions of Acronis True Image. Currently you can create differential backups by moving last incrementals to another folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Laughlan,

Actually, I think you'll find that differential images would take more space (each differential contains all the changes since the full image) than the same number of incrementals.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.