Maxthon 1.3.1 or Opera 8 ??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by POOOS, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamestaylor

jamestaylor Guest

I agree that it is linked to steady search.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

perceived badly what you said, sorry...

3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Can you give an example of the rendering problems? because i haven't seen those yet, and i like to learn about that.

I totally disagree on that, there are a lot things made in websites
    that are not w3c compliant but especially build for 1 brand webbrowser,
    a lot of those features are not within the w3c standards because of their security problems.

Example:
    Now that Internet Explorer is rapidly loosing customers, (logical because it is by far the most UNSAFE browser there is out there!)
    more customers can see,with ALL kinds of other browsers which websites
    are specificly built for Internet Explorer.

The compliance story has caused MILLIONS of Internet Explorer users to have problems with Browser hijackers, spy and adware and other malware that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Near my personal opinion a really good Anti Malware program
    should remove Internet Explorer from your system,
    sadly it is so hacked into the OS that this is not possible anymore.

:D

4. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

That's a fairly common myth. It can be done. Using 98Lite or IEradicator, one can remove IE from Windows 98. I've been considering setting up a lean installation of Win98SE called "98micro" that is 100% IE-free, and which I will use primarily for email and the web. If I ever need to use Internet Explorer, I will just boot into Win2K or a different installation of Win98SE that is "chubbier." :)

Using other utilities or techniques, IE can also be removed from Windows 2000 and Windows XP. If you remove all of it, some programs will break, so one would normally leave the IE core files alone and remove the rest. Some people don't care, though, and they remove all of it.

Phil

5. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

Sound like Yoda, you do.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

When it comes to features and ease of use I would recommend Maxthon. Yes, Opera and Firefox are probably more secure, but the risk of getting hacked via IE is not big enough to switch to another browser IMO.

At the moment there are 20 unpatched holes in IE (info from secunia.com), but if you look closer, most of them are less critical and for the highly critical ones there are workarounds.

Of course there are probably numerous of zero day bugs in IE (that perhaps have not been discovered yet), but I think most people who are getting malware via IE, are getting them through known (probably patched) holes, not zero day bugs.

And of course you should always run an AV-AT-AS, firewall and IPS system, 100% security doesn´t exist but it will make the life of a hacker/cracker more difficult. ;)

Edit: Changed "not critical" to "less critical".

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  7. Rasheed187

Btw, you should also lock down IE as much as possible:

I´m running Maxthon on XP SP2 in "non admin mode" and I have configured IE in the most secure way, that basically means I have disabled almost everything in the "Internet/Local Machine Zone". To lock down IE even more I also use "prepatch" tools like "BugOff" and "Secure IT". Of course IE/Windows should always be fully patched. :)

Maxthon also makes it very easy to toggle ActiveX, Java and Java/VBscript and it also features a very good popupblocker. Perhaps in the future, a "Download control per page" feature will also be implemented (like in Netscape). :cool:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The problem of IE, and of course Maxthon, it's that he doesn't have all the standard to see webpages...

Now we will have the long waited v7.0, but let we see if this a version to mantain or a version for more 5 years without improvements...

9. Rasheed187

That´s the good news of course, it can only become better in IE 7. And hopefully Maxthon will profit from that. I forgot to mention that Maxthon also features an ActiveX blocker. :D

And no, it´s also not spy or adware, you only see an offer for the ZYB SMS service once and the default search engine is set to Steadysearch. You can all change that easily. :)

10. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

So does IE XP SP2.

Any product that displays a unsolicited ad, is adware. Maxthon is adware.

11. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I will be very suprised, if Internet Explorer succeed, to move from the first place since Internet Explorer is, from the start, version 0.0 Beta the number one!

(regarding the unsafest browser there is) :D

To be honest, i think you only find changes that other browsers
    already have for years.

MS was never that good in INventing new things...

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Where did you see adware in Maxthon?

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

IT IS??

14. Rasheed187

Lol, if Maxthon is adware, then what is Opera? "Super-Adware" perhaps? :p

Anyway, perhaps you´re right, but we all know that Maxthon is not listed as adware on any site, and it´s also not recognized as adware by none of the spyware apps, so this discussion is kind of irrelevant.

And Maxthon´s ActiveX blocker is handy for people on Win9X/2000 of course. :)

15. Rasheed187

@ tuatara

VaMPiRiC_CRoW and I don´t really care about IE7 the browser, but we care about IE7 the engine. :D I´m not expecting to see a whole lot of "power user" features in IE7.

16. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

Maxthon and Opera (free) are both adware. I'm not familar with the term super-Adware. I would appreciate a link to that, Rasheed187.

Why would spyware apps recognise other adware apps? Anyway, standards have gone so far down that nowdays adware isn't recognised unless it is more like spyware. I do agree that Maxthon is fairly benign adware.

And Maxthon´s ActiveX blocker is handy for people on Win9X/2000 of course. :)
    [/QUOTE]

Makes it worthless to me, and many people here then. So much for Maxthon being more "Secure" than IE LOL.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, and can you direct us to one link, one thread, one ANYTHING that explains how Maxthon is Adware, o_O

Acadia

18. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Have a look here and the Opera Privacy Statement.

While Opera is adware, there's nothing malicious about it. :)

19. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

Are you blind? This very thread, shows that it is ad-aware. Even Rasheed agrees.

Any product that advertises another product (except perhaps nag screens to upgrade?) is adware,

Unlike noobies here who think 'malicious software' when they see the word adware, I'm remember the days when adware was not malicious.

20. SvS

SvS Security Expert

If you can make an input box fill a div using CSS so that there are no margins on the top and on the left when displayed in Opera, please let me know I'd like to reuse the code.

As for the rest of your post, I doubt that we are talking about the same things. I referred to HTML/XHMTL/CSS standards which really has nothing to do with imagined or real security problems. Such thing like a "secure browser" does not exist and those having problems with spyware and other things while using IE will manage to have similar problems regardless of the browser they use and regardless of the W3C standards their browsers support.

21. Rasheed187

@ James Taylor

What I meant is the following: Opera constantly displays an ad, while Maxthon only gives you a popup once, but after that you´re never bothered again. There is clearly a difference between the two.

And as far as I know, adware does get recognized by anti spyware apps, I´ve seen adware that pops up when the sidebar is accessed, or during surfing in IE. And I´m talking about pure adware not spyware.

I don´t understand your comment about the ActiveX-blocker being useless, there are still lots of people running Win 9x/2000, and it´s also useful for people who don´t want to use the XP SP2 blocker. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  22. Rasheed187

@ James Taylor

About Maxthon being safer than IE, I´ve never claimed this but in some cases it actually is safer. To give you an example, the iframe hole was fixed in Maxthon months before MS fixed it, and it actually saved people from becoming infected with the Bofra worm.

I also recall that there was a bug in IE which was fixed by the "Ignore window ID assignment in frames" setting in Maxthon´s options.

And btw, I´ve noticed that Maxthon is not vulnerable to the following holes, the third test didn´t work in IE either (Win XP SP1):

http://secunia.com/advisories/12304/
    http://secunia.com/advisories/15491/
    http://secunia.com/advisories/13251/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.