Acronis-what to Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by erhayes, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erhayes

erhayes Registered Member

I'm running a Dell 3000 computer with a 160MB HD and 1GB memory. I have downloaded from a CD Acronis True Image 8.0. I have made a boot disk using the Acronis program. I now am ready to copy to DVD-RW (4.7GB data)(reformated by Roxio). I see three options to copy:: "C", Fat 16, Fat 32. Now what? I know at a minimum I want backup for the OS, regisry and what else? I'm lost at this step. Could someone assist me with some advice please. Thanks so much. Ed Hayes

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ed,

I would say the FAT16 partition is Dell's bootable Diagnostic partition, the FAT32 is Dell's bootable Recovery partition and C: (NTFS) is your primary active system partition. When creating an image you need to select the whole disk by selecting the tickbox next to the drive identifier (see screenshot below).

I'm assuming you're attempting to image direct to DVD-RW. In which case, the DVD must be preformatted using your Roxio UDF packet writing software such as DirectCD or Drag-to-Disk. This software must also be running whilst you're imaging direct to DVD.

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  3. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

FAT16=Diagnostics (Hidden)
    FAT32=Dell PC Restore (Hidden)
    NTFS=C Partition (Visible Hard Drive)

Do like Menorcaman says and click the box at the very top of Disk 1 your internal drive with the three partitions. You have to copy ALL of it or else when you restore you won't be ble to boot to your hidden partitions (Read your Owner's Manual to know how and why.)

When you image or clone the entire disk as above you'll capture everything including the registry, all programs, the op system and the master boot record.

When you restore it will be exactly as it was when you captured the image. Just do it and you'll see how it works. Don't screw with secure zone. It will wipe out your ability to use the Dell hidden partitions and maybe chew up your c drive as well.

Save your image to a separate external hard drive like a USB2 external or to CD's or DVD's. Read the other threads here if you want to do DVD's. Menorcaman and MiniMax are the experts on all that stuff.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Donprovo,

I don't have a Dell so thanks for the correct info on those partitions (I've amended my Post #2 accordingly).

Just to clarify the Secure Zone situation. On its own it's not a problem and is a useful image location for those who want to automatically control their maximum number of incrementals. The problem arises when users also opt to activate the Startup Recovery Manager (default option when creating the SZ :( ) which, as you know, modifies the MBR.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello erhayes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Besides the Menorcaman's and the Donprovo's advices I would also tell you that the current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. We recommend you to install a UDF packet DVD writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

Please read alse the information about writing on DVD on our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#20.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Ed, welcome to Wilders.

When I set up a system from scratch, we partition the drive into 20GB for the operating system and programs, and leave the remaining space (in your case about 135GB) for Data, this will enable you to restore images without interfering with your Data. The only thing you do have to be careful with in using this method are emails (change the storage area if using Outlook Express) and Favorites, as well as any program that stores data within itself, such as Quickbooks (though you can change the default storage area).

Hope this helps...

Cheers ; D

7. erhayes

Thank you so much for the quick responces. In the fields on what to Image I have 3 options as follows Disk 1 NTIS "C" pri 9.3 GB used, FAT16 Pri 7.33 MB used, FAT 32 pri. 3.58 GB used. There is no other disk listed. Should I then check EACH of the three boxes/partitions? I have preformated 10 DVD-RW 4.7GB disks using Roxio. Can I assume that since I'm using only a small fraction of my C drive (9.3 GB) that I will need only 4-5 DVDs for the complete Image? Thank you again Ed Hayes

8. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

You have FOUR options: the three you speak of and a FOURTH checkbox at the top which must be checked or your partitions will be dysfunctional when restored.

Look at Menorcaman's screen shot above. See where it says Disk 1? You better check that box. It will automatically check the rest.

The less data the smaller the image but it's good to have your extras preformatted anyway just in case.

9. erhayes

Thank you Donprovo: I missed the very top box to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.