outpost vs kerio 4 narrowed it to these...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zfactor, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

There have been a few reports of Kerio ( 4.xx version ) having some problems . And it will take up some resources . Some would call it a hog . I really had very little trouble so I guess it depends on your system . Outpost is lighter . At least , that is what I have seen . I would recommend either of these two if both work well on your machine . I like Kerio's interface better . Protection wise , Outpost . No question for me . Outpost performed better and really has all the bad bugs worked out for this 2.5 version . You will find very little to complain about with Outpost when it comes down to protection . And the configurability has a slight edge as well . Try both . If both seem to do well , choose the " prettier " one . I will not push anything on anyone . Between these two though , Outpost will give better protection . Hope that helps .

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

thanks hollywood! i appreciate the feedback. kerio works very well for as is outpost now that i decided to try it out. i like the gui of kerio better than i do outpost, but as you said i can see from playing with them it looks like outpost offers maybe better protection. i ran both through all leak tests i could find and kerio passed most, but so far outpost passed all i have tested. so maybe it looks like outpost well give it a few more days and see how it goes. thanks for all the input though.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost's memory usage with its GUI open has been noticeably reduced in the last couple of beta builds (down from 35-40MB to 20-25MB on my system, which includes the overheads of a Debug plugin) so the next release (whenever that may be... ;)) should offer some improvement to those previously concerned about its memory utilisation.

A number of BSOD issues are also supposed to have been addressed (though I can't confirm this since I have never had an Outpost-related one).

4. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Paranoid2000, if you for some reason couldn't run Outpost, what would you run - Kerio or LnS? Or what?

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Tough question. :) I'd probably be tempted to evaluate Tiny (which could replace other security software like Process Guard, SSM and Total Uninstaller also), but I'm always suspicious of a company that does not make its forum publicly viewable without having to register first...

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

you know what?

just try both firewalls for 5-6 days each...
    Find the pros and cons of each [and remember to backup the ruleset before uninstalling]...
    And then its your wish what to do.

The only thing that Kerio 4 charges $$ for is advanced logging and content filter.
    Well.. Proxomitron is a REALLY good content filter. Maxthon Browser has an ad filter, and Firefox has Adblock extension [for which TONNES of ppl. have adblocking lists.]
    All the app control and packet filtering and separate rules per network interface goodies are free, and its logging sucks anyways. And the GUI is heavy when it is in the memory.

BUT... Outpost is more comprehensive. It has more features than you care for, and has more flexibilty.... not to mention more BSODs seen by people, but they're ABSOLUTELY harmless, thanks to System Restore© of Windows© XP powered secretly by Norton® GoBack©!

;)
    Have fun.

7. hollywoodpc

Glad I could help . Enjoy playing around . Good luck my friend !

8. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid2000: I will give Tiny a try then when Kerio trial expires, though I already run PG. Or maybe Outpost will fix the BSODs that a few unlucky users experience and I can go back to using the fw I really want.

9. zfactor

thanks much hollywood i enjoy your unbiased opinions. i am growing to like op, although i do still prefer the gui style of kerio. i am having some issues with op, its frozen up a few times and got one bsod. i fixed both so far. never had an issue with kerio except the huge memory usage on my pc (almost 30mb), i hope the issues with outpost dont get to out of hand. but well see .

10. escobar

escobar Guest

Love this forum. Maybe I should register.

In terms of choosing between Kerio and Outpost it´s really "just" a matter of taste. As far as I know, both non free versions, perform great (and Kerios free version too). In terms of security and system ressources I don´t think there´s much difference between the two. People may come up with all kinds of numbers that suggest otherwise, but when it comes down to usage, both firewalls are a great choice.

I´ve tried lots of firewalls and I always end up using Kerio personal 4.12. I find it easyer and way more userfriendly than Outpost 2.5 pro, but that´s just my opnion. One thing though. Kerio (if you can go without the webfiltering) is FREE.

I personally use a 3rd party adremover with shield and Avast´s GREAT AV 4.6. Both progs also offer websecurity so does one really need that feature in Kerio or another firewall? Someone please enlighten me!

Another thing, has anyone tried AVAST for Kerio? does it offer some kind of benefits, in terms of integration or simular? I love the integration in Norton IS 2005, but as a lot of others I get the usual bugs with norton. Especially the halt during scanning. (error 3019,6) ... Otherwise I´d might be use Norton IS! Why? because it´s simple and offers integrated help for both firewall and AV.

Don´t even mention ZA ... I H8 it! Had to many bad expirences with that prog so I´m NEVER going back that road, eventhough Zonelabs offers a Norton IS simular solution!

Well. Just my points. I´ll Stick with Kerio. It has NEVER let me down! Kerio users out there ... Let me know about the Avast for Kerio edition...

Escobar.

11. vlk

vlk AV Expert

avast for Kerio is not an end-user product. It is meant for servers. It works as a virus-scanning filter for Kerio Mail Server and/or Winroute Firewall products (NOT the Personal Firewall).

Thanks Vlk

12. escobar

escobar Registered Member

ThanX for the info. :)

Escobar

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

... welcome to Wilders :)

Regards,

CrazyM

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No reason not to... ;)

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Escobar-

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Just kidding:)

Welcome to the gang.

16. hollywoodpc

You are very welcome my friend . If I can help you further ..........

17. zfactor

what is everyone seing as far as ram usage with outpost?? they both seem to use large amounts but kerios was on the crazy side of ram usage. although kerio seemed much faster when surfing the web?? outpost seems so slow for browsing. are there any others skins for outpost for more of a gui like kerio or sugate?? i know some av's and firewalls did have these but not sure about outpost. also with outpost it has plugins, which could be cool i guess i haven't seen to many though. does kerio have anything like these.

does anyone using the kerio 4 beta 4 know if the ram usage is any less?? and with kerio some sites have mentioned that kerios web filtering and secure info is not working as it should be. i would see kerio block some pop ups and some ads but not all.

with outpost i am on my second bsod!!! i went to outpost forums and read through all the posts and see this seems very common? but id does also with the new beta 4 from kerio

with outpost even though i have the pop up and ad blocking on i still get all the usual pop up's and quite a few ads are let through. do i have it configure wrong? or is there something else to this.

overall everything aside including gui and features, do you all feel if both are configured well would outpost out perform kerio in all the major testing areas or would they be very similar or would kerio win (not sure about that one)

being i have to buy multiple lic's for all my pcs at my stores i want to really make the right decision; before buying so many. thanks all here in my desicion process it has been very helpful so far.

18. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If you are looking at mulltiple installations it is possible that personal firewall technology may not be for you. Personal firewalls depend on correct user interaction to set up. The greater the differences among the machines, the more difficult it will be to take a config file from one and apply it to the others.

It could be made to work on machines that are clones of each other because they were created from the same image.

19. escobar

escobar Registered Member

Zfactor. Due to all the promising words in this forum, I´m now trying out the newest Outpost. In many ways I like it, but just like you, I like Kerio´s GUI better. I find Kerios interface way more logical. BUT then again Outpost offer pdf´s that can help a non expert user ... So I´m giving it a try.
    I find myself (not being an expert but still expirienced) a bit confused though, by the way Outpost helps one setting up the rules for each application.

I have tested both Outpost pro and kerio 4.1.2 on a direct connection with al kinds of tests from various internet pages. Therefor I am a bit SURPRISED by the POOR result that kerio does in the test recently posted by Gkweb on this forum. this test is the main reason that I´m now giving Outpost a go.

In all the tests I´ve done (mainly http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1.htm) I get equal results from kerio and outpost. Therefor my experience tells me, that it´s a matter of correct settings and taste. Which one seems more logical to you.

Giving Outpost another try .... let´s see if it convinces me too skip kerio. I doubt it.

In terms of the plugins in outpost I normally prefer choosing 3rd party progs to help securing my system.... but I´ll give 'em a go.

Ram-usage? To me, it´s not the important factor, but my system runs quite simular with Outpost instead of kerio. I don´t think numbers are important. How does it feel? Does it slow ones system.

I haven´t tried kerios beta release and I´m not going too. I Don´t think running a beta product with possible bugs, is good for my security... :D But just like you, I´m interested in hearing more about the upcomming Kerio.

A haven´t got the expirience with Outpost to recommend it, but it seems lots of other people here do. But I´ve used Kerio a long time and it never let me down!

Too all the people who have welcomed me too this forum. THANX A-lot!! Greetings from Denmark!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  20. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Kerio has manuals for download too... the kerio 2.1.5 was a revelation.... one of my first networking readings!
    Yes... it's not exactly a light read, but it's awesome.
    Kerio 4 also has an online manual.... kerio 4 was designed to be a semi-newbie's firewall [decent features and a really easy GUI] so it's manual should also be accordingly designed I think.

21. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm the same as above, although recently I have been 'flirting' with Jetico out of curiosity on my test partition but I'm sticking with OP on my main ones.

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've been running Kerio 4.1.2 on my box for the past few days and haven't noticed any slowdown issue or problem. I haven't messed with rules - am running it in original configuration - since I know nothing about making rules. It shows stealth on grc.com and passes pcflank, and the other couple of tests I always run when I try out a new (to me) firewall.

I'm using a 1.3G Athlon, xp home and 512 RAM which might account for not seeing any resource problem. So far, I like it. I've never used kerio before. After I tire of this, I have kerio 2.1.5 saved to play with.

Kerio 2.1.5 brings up a question. I'm on dialup. No broadband or anything else available here. Using kerio 2xx on dialup, and not knowing how to make rules, would adding the rules Blitzenzeus made be appropriate for dialup internet, or are they made for broadband?

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

zfactor - I've been running the new Kerio 4 beta 4 for the past few days here and ram usage right now is hanging around 25 megs (for both the service and gui combined). That's a little on the high side compared to others, but I believe it's similar to the current Outpost Pro (last time I tried it).

I can't speak for the web filtering. I've turned it off. I had some strange problems with downloads that (oddly enough) seemed to be solved when I turned off web filtering, so I keep it off now.

24. zfactor

are there any other problems with the beta 4? is it safe to run so far? and i have read the kerio web site regarding the differences from 4.1.2 but what really are they?? some have said that the gui is a little different, is it? any other changes? and if i get the paid version of kerio and they release a 4.2 or higher will i get upgraded to the new one or will it be a new purchase? my finger is itching to install it and see but just wasnt sure of stability? thanks for any info possible!!

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There were some changes to the gui in 4.2 I believe. They added a Host Intrusion and Prevention System (HIPS) and put that, along with the Network Intrusion Prevention and App Behavior Blocking into one Intrusions menu. Generally speaking they just moved some things around in the gui and introduced the HIPS feature.

Duplicate logging is fixed also, which was a problem with logging packets to closed ports in 4.1.

It seems pretty stable on my system (Win2k) now. I did have some DHCP problems at boot time but solved that by disabling the feature which prevents incoming connections during boot and shutdown. That feature was blocking my dhcp server's reply and causing errors in my event viewer.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as 4.1. I'm using my Kerio 2 rules in 4.2. Just a few minor changes and everything works fine. I like it, even though Kerio 4 gets bashed frequently. I think it has good SPI, and you can run it in "ZA" mode, or use rules, whichever pleases you most.

I can't say regarding their upgrade policy, but my guess would be that a 4.1 license would still be good for 4.2. But please take my opinion for just that. I'd ask them directly about upgrades. Might be wise to just wait for 4.2 before any purchase. It should be out soon. Kerio tends to rush releases and then fix bugs later after the release.

If you're anxious to try it, I'd install it and give it a whirl. You can always go back to 4.1 if it doesn't agree with your system. Here's a link to the Kerio beta page:

http://www.kerio.com/beta_section.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.