Error Connecting

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Pineman, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pineman

Pineman Registered Member

I have followed the installation instructions for downloading the new version of SpywareBlaster which appears to install correctly but every time I try to update it I get the following message

'Error Connecting To Update Server

There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download.'

I have ‘Options’ set to Use a direct connection to the internet.

I have also tried downloading the new version of SpywareBlaster from different sites.

There does not appear to be a conflict with firewall software and a check shows no spyware or malware on my PC.

2. chew

chew Registered Member

Re: Error Connecting - can't update.

Hi all

First of all I want to thank Javacool for SWB. This is a cool product.

However, after upgrading to SWB ver 3.3 I received the same error as Pineman when I tried to check the Updates.

The error message I got was "error connecting to server ... " but I have no such problem with SWB ver 3.2 in the past.

In addition to "error connecting to server ..." after I installed SWB ver 3.3., I also noticed that I incurred other problems as well. They were:

1) I couldn't connect to the internet with my Firefox 1.0.1.

2) My Window Messenger was disconnected.

So in order to get back my connection for FF and Window Messenger I changed the following settings on my Firefox browser and Window Messenger.

1) By setting my FF browser internet connection to "Direct connection to internet" But no luck there. So I tried the "Auto detect proxy for this network ... " It worked and I got my Internet connection back.

2) By switching my Window Messenger to HTTP Proxy setting. That helped and I got my Window Messenger connection back.

Apart from the above I was still unable to get SWB to Updates. I tried all these steps: (all did not work btw)

1) Downloading from different site to get SWB ver. 3.3. Uninstalled and reinstalled again. Still not connecting.

2) Reboot PC and installed and uninstalled vice versa again and again ... no joy there too.

3) Used Ccleaner to clean out everything and reboot pc and installed and uninstalled ... Nope. Still unable to update.

So if anyone can offer any help I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Chew

P/s: I edited the above so you know what I did and I am behind Institutional firewall.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  3. chew

chew Registered Member

Re: Error Connecting - Problem Solved!

Pineman and everyone.

I solved the problem. Wohoo! :D The solution is very simple.

These are the steps you need to follow.

1) Make sure you HTTP Proxy (Browser Connection setting) and the Port number (Browser HTTP Proxy Port number) setting are similar to that of your SWB 3.3. setting.

- To check your Firefox Browser setting goto Tools->Options->Connection Settings.
    You should fine all your HTTP Proxy and Port number settings there. Choose that.

2) Now you need to match that HTTP Proxy and Port Number settings to that in the SWB ver 3.3. So you have to do these in SWB 3.3.

i) Click Updates
    ii) Goto Options
    iii) Check "use proxy below" - type in the same HTTP Proxy and Port number you have on your browser connection settings in this order e.g. wwwABC.com:port number.

I tried the above and it solved the problem and everything is fine now. The usual "no new update message" finally came out. So there you go ...

Hope that works for you too.

Cheerio

Chew :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  4. Pineman

*puppy* Well done Chew, it worked for me as well.

What would we do without these forums (or is it fora?)

5. Pineman

It only worked once and now its the same as before. Anybody else got any ideas?? :oops:

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Member

I am also getting the same message when I try to download updates.

Rosie

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Member

Hello again,

Is there any way to manually update please?

Thank you

Rosie

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi everyone,

There was an important updating setting change.

The default updating option is now "directly connect to the Internet", whereas before it was "use system connection/proxy settings".

If you are having trouble updating, please try checking the "use system connection/proxy settings" option under the "Options" tab in the Updating section of the program.

If that doesn't help, you can also try the "Use Alternative Download Method" box.

Let me know if that helps, thanks! :)

EDIT: Also, please make sure your firewall is not somehow blocking SpywareBlaster from accessing the Internet. Could you all please post what firewall you are using? Thanks! :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. picasso

picasso Registered Member

Just updated to vers 3.3 from 3.2 and was also having problems updating.I can confirm that the following solution works....

1 - Start up Spyware Blaster
    2 - Options
    3 - "check" - Use alternative download method
    4 - Updates - check for updates

works o.k. every time (although no updates to be downloaded yet to be sure!). :)

10. intransit

intransit Registered Member

Thanks to Chew for what seems to be an excellent solution. It has worked a couple of times, so the problem with connecting to updates seems to have been resolved. Note that this did not happen when I downloaded version 3.3 to my home PC, which connects directly to the Net via a DSL connection, so it must be related to having to connect through corporate proxy servers, as Chew figured out. Nice work!

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Member

Thank you

'Download Alternative Method' seems to connect, although no new updates.

Thanks

Rosie

12. javacool

Excellent - that's why it's in there. ;)

Just a note to anyone who comes across this thread: most likely, selecting either the "Use the system connection/proxy settings" or the "Use the proxy below" options will work for you.

The "Use Alternative Download Method" should be considered a last-resort option. But it's there, just in case. :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi everyone.

Oh ya, yes, I am behind Institutional Firewall ... just in case you don't know what I am talking about.

This is also just to update you that my SWB ver 3.3 is still working brilliantly, yes, using the method I described above.

Cheerio

Chew :)

P/s: Cheers Javacool!

14. Pineman

I have tried every conceivable combination of options for downloading updates.

I have tried downloading version 3.3 from different sites.

I have completely removed all traces of the old version and cleared my temporary internet files.

I never had any problem with version 3.2.

What else can I doo_O

Help!

15. aurelius

aurelius Registered Member

Tried Direct Conection but this hangs SWB. Only thing that works for me with 3.3 is the 'Alternative Method'.

(I should add that the Download Mirror on the Update page link from the javacoolsoftware site started writing stuff to WINNT fonts and asked for stuff from my W2K install disk iapc folder before it started downloading the exe file... I trust nothing untoward happened but all the same... I think the SNAP download page is far better imho.)

aur

16. fobw

fobw Guest

When you select "Use Alternative Method" you still have to select one of above options (direct vs system connection vs proxy). None of those worked for me even with "Use Alternative Method" selected until I temporarily disabled my Norton Internet Security.

When I first installed SWB 3.3, Norton Internet Security (NIS) labelled the connection as a medium security and I chose the recommended "allow always on all ports". But still I could not get an update until I temporarily disabled the NIS.

I run XP Home SP2. Also Spybot SD.

17. javacool

Hi,

This is a known issue. It seems that sometimes (out of the blue) NIS decides to block Internet access for certain programs.

Please look in your NIS configuration, delete any rules for "spywareblaster.exe" (there may be more than one) and then either set it to allow again, or just try running SpywareBlaster and updating again.

Best regards,

-Javacool

18. picasso

picasso Registered Member

Updating seems to be working "normally" now as I can download latest updates without the "Use alternative download method" checkbox ticked.

*Note* I have just updated my anti-virus software to the latest Avast vers. 4.6.623 prior to trying Spyware Blaster - this could possibly have something to do with it?? - as Avast has been known to have been causing problems on some issues.

Can anyone without Avast confirm that they can now update Spyware Blaster without the "Use alternative download method" box checked?

19. yjsk2100

yjsk2100 Registered Member

Hi. I just joined because I was just surfing and noticed this site. I just installed Spywareblaster 3.3 (after completely removing 3.2). When I went to check for updates I had the same error message that I could not connect to server like others here. I am also using Norton Personal Firewall 2004. This is what I had to do to get it to work. I opened up NPF/clicked personal firewall/configure/programs and under all programs listed was spywareblaster.exe and it was blocked. I clicked permit/closed it out, retried updates again and it worked. Also in spywareblaster/updates/options I have the . use a direct connection to the internet.

20. Pineman

:) Thanks everybody for your advice, I have now fixed the problem which was associated with Norton Internet Security.

When I first had the problem it was suggested that my firewall could be the cause so I manually told it to accept spywareblaster.exe and it still didn't work. What I hadn't spotted was that there was already an entry for spywareblaster.exe which was set to BLOCK, I'm not sure why but now I have changed it to PERMIT eveything is ok.

21. fobw

fobw Guest

I have to ask a dumb question. I tried to remove SWB from the program list in NIS (Norton Internet Security), which BTW was set to permit always, but NIS just locks up after I click okay to remove. Has this happened to someone else out there using NIS? So far, I have been updating SWB by temporarily disabling NIS.

22. DeltaFox

DeltaFox Guest

Only works with Alternative Download Method !! No problems with 3.2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.