SATA Clone - Any Active Partition Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danielz, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielz

danielz Registered Member

Hi,
    I would like to use TI Build 796 to clone the primary active partition containing the XP Pro OS that's on a SATA disk to a new backup SATA disk. Then, I'd do incremental backups of the partition containing the OS along with some patitions containing data.

I've done this with Ghost 2003, but it uses a DOS environment to perform the clone and you boot from a DOS disk to begin the process.

The Ghost documentation warns you to power down after the process completes and not power up with two disks, each containing an OS with an active partition. Windows could get confused and trash both disks if it sees two active partitions.

How does TI perform a incremental backup under these conditions? I guess that it would be similar in that I'd use the TI recovery CD and do the incremental backup in that interface. Is the interface DOS based too?

Please clarify the process for me? Thanks.
    -danielz

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello danielz,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please note that you cannot clone single partition, only the whole disk. However, you may create images of single partitions and restore them but if these include system partition and you restore it to another disk it is recommended that you create the image of the whole disk otherwise it is not guaranteed that the system will boot.

If you clone the disk under Windows (actually after you set up the cloning process your computer will reboot into Windows native mode and the cloning will be performed) you may leave both disks in the system. If you perform the cloning after booting from Acronis Bootable CD you need to unplug one of the drives before you boot Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.