Dear Wilders :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AsH_, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

[MOVE]PLEASE HELP o_O[/MOVE]

My story:

After weeks and weeks on end, my computer grows slower and slower yet not knowing the source, my head aches wondering what to do.

After long Virus Scans, program after program like "RegSeeker" or "Spybot" to "Disk Cleanups" and "Disk Defrags" the problem remains.

I'm not asking for a miracle, but please, people at Wilders .... HELP! :(
    [MOVE]PLEASE[/MOVE]
    [MOVE]PLEASE[/MOVE]
    [MOVE]PLEASE[/MOVE]
    [MOVE]PLEASE[/MOVE]

Thanks In Advance, AsH ;)

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi AsH,

maybe you have installed some program or programs that is causing that slow down...

It's difficult to help in this situation...

Regards

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi AsH, I would suggest that you download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found at A-SAP. The two bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than most others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com. Be sure to read their posting policy in the links at their log review forum sections prior to posting.

Once your system is clean, you may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

4. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

hi, what are your system specs?

5. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

thanks

does spywareguard scan for spyware/malware?

I want a program that can actually get rid of files not help prevent them in the near future because wont be much help :mad:

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

AsH,

There are lots of possible causes here beyond malware and adware. As VaMPiRiC_CRoW points out, it could be a program that you've installed. That program could be simply pulling down a lot of CPU cycles or it could be incompatible with some other application on you machine and they are fighting it out in the background.
    • The first thing I'd look at is the raw CPU utilization of running processes on you machine. You can do this by loading the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), selecting the Processes tab, select View>Select Columns and make sure CPU Time is checked off. Then click on the CPU Time column header twice. This will sort processes in descending order of total CPU consumption. Question - what are the top ten or so processes on you system? A screen shot is easiest if possible.
    • Is your system lean on RAM for what you are trying to do? From the Task Manager again, select the Performance tab. What is the Total Commit Charge relative to Total Physical Memory on you system? If the commit charge gets close to/exceeds physical RAM, you'll have a lot of swaps involving HDD virtual memory and this will slow things down a lot
    • Do you have a lot of extraneous processes/services loaded at system startup? Are there a bunch of icons in your system tray that involve applications you typically don't use? If so, don't have them load on start-up. There are a few ways to deal with this. Some applications will allow a graceful disable from the task bar/application menu. The other thing to look at - from the Task Manager - what is the total number of running processes during a typical session?
    • I'll assume that you Temporary Internet Files folder is cleaned periodically. If not do Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options and hit Delete Files, or clear the cache from your favorite browser.
    • If you have multiple security programs running, do they all have realtime components that are monitoring activity? If so, you may have an inordinately long chain of inspection here that is also slowing down operations. What security programs are being run and what settings do you use on them?
    Taking a look at these items may help or may be irrelevant - you won't know until you take a peek.

Blue

7. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

well commit charge is 180,000 total

and hmmm yes im not stupid lol ... i clean my history, temp stuff and i have no things on startup except a few necessary things. i have no icons in the toolbar. its just slow :(

8. BlueZannetti

Didn't think that AsH, just trying to have you (and the rest of us) step back, assume absolutely nothing up front, and march through the possibilities.

How about firm numerical/text answers to the rest of the questions posed? Commit charge is 180 MB or so, what's your physical RAM (apologies if you've posted that elsewhere here).

Again, assume nothing.

Blue

9. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

Thanks again Blue. You're very helpful :D

I didn't mean to sound rude when I said im not stupid i do clean bla bla ...

OK. I have 512mb RAM ;)

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

As all else seems to have failed is there no way you can use the recovery CD on your machine. The retailers you bought the machine off shoud have gave you a cd that will set your machine to how you bought it from the shop.

Its irritating as youve got to spend hours putting eveything back on your machine but its got me out of some tight spots in the past (once if i recall was because i was having incurable slowdown problems similar to yours which it fixed!).

Once you have done this leave off installing games/software (other than trusted aplications) for a few days to see if the machine works fast enough for you. Then you will know it was a software problem.

Also one thing to try before you do this that i think no one has mentioned which i am suprised about if it is the case but what AV are you using?. As some AV are much better than others. Im a member of quite a few security forums and i constantly read people having virii problems that have either used norton or AVG (those are the two most troublsome) which have not detected or done anything about virus, trojans or worms. The two AV you should use are either mcafee virus scan enterprise 8 (avoid the mcafee home as it installs secruity centre which has to be the most annoying piece of software ever created!) the other is kaspersky AV, (the general consensus is the 4.5 is better). This might help. But make sure if you use mcafee enterprise to turn on the scan for unwanted programs (to do this right click on the shield in taskmanager and go to virus scan console and then click on unwanted programs) this may help as it may be a virus or worm slowing your machine down (both are very good at detecting both, norton and AVG are awfull at detecting worms so i have read).

Hope this is some help

11. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

Thanks Anthony. Wow you guys type a lot :eek:

Yes, I did a Recovery. No, I don't have any games installed anymore. I took Steam off completely. Done a System Recovery. Still the same.

12. BlueZannetti

No worries, didn't take it as rude, just wasn't sure you got a feel for why I was asking what could seem to be painfully obvious questions.

A 180 MB commit charge on a 512 MB system - should be quick based on raw resource footprint. This is starting to tell us what your problem isn't. It's not due to disk thrashing from having the RAM filled with a whole bunch of processes.

How about some of the other general things? Number of processes running? What they are? Multiple realtime monitors? AV used? etc.

If you want to do some challenge tests offline, and are comfortable mucking with startup services/applications, you could use the Admin console (services only) or msconfig command to selectively disable processes which are loaded at startup. Gotta be careful here (don't disable needed services), but this is a pure challenge/response test that can be done by either selective disable or disable all/selective enable. Just march through the permutations and see where performance starts to get dragged down. If you disable security programs, stay offline while they're disabled.

Blue

13. AnthonyG

is it definitely a system restall not system recovery you did, as system recovery most likely wont do anything (that is according to the techs at pc world as i ask that question a lot and they always say it wont fix any problems) but a full system restore.

That is using the norton ghost cds (thats what pc world gave me) that when you insert them it restarts the machine, goes to dos and brings up a norton ghost task bar and wipes everything off your machine except for the operating system.

If its definitely a system restall youve done and it didnt help then to me that is unequivical evidence that its a hardware fault (but remember i am no computer expert so only accept that last statment when one of the computer experts here at wilders agree)

14. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

Blue. Can I ask what AV is lol ;)

**EDIT**

Proccesses: ( im really eager to fix this and will do anything to fix )

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  15. AnthonyG

AV = Antivirus sorry for not being specific

16. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

Also, don't say i'm lying about Steam ;)

I just re-installed it as I have a Clan Competition going and I need it up :D

17. AsH_

AsH_ Registered Member

1) I'm downloading Kaspersky

2) What the hell is 'WebClient'. Never seen it before and it's suddenly there? o_O

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Ash,

In all fairness to You and also to ALL the folks that have attempted to assist you in the last 2 days....I am now closing this thread. While this does not occur very often....You leave me no other choice since you have been asked twice by our Staff....and I am now asking you for the third time....Please take the time to re-read ALL the posts you have started concerning your problem with pretty much ALL the same member advice\links as assistance and come back with a game plan, any fixes you have attempted, and all info that's been asked of you these last two days. At that point in time that you feel you are prepared....Please feel free then to start another thread.

We are here to assist as best we can....but....we will not do it this way.

Your Time line:

• As a Guest AsH523 February 15th, 2005, 08:24 AM Closed by Admin
      1) ** Slow Computer and Slow internet**

• First post as Member AsH_ February 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM Closed by Admin
      2) omg
    • Second post as Member February 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM Ongoing thread....Now closed
      3) Slow PC need help

• Third post as Member Yesterday, 02:29 AM Ongoing thread....Now closed
      4)Recommended Spyware/Malware Program

• Fifth post as Member Yesterday, 05:22 AM Closed by Mod
      5)Spyware/Malware Programs
    • Twelth post as Member Today, 05:13 AM Was ongoing thread....now closed
      6) Dear Wilders :(

Regards,
    Bubba

**This thread is now closed**

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.