What free Sandboxe should I use ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HoLmEc, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoLmEc

HoLmEc Registered Member

Hi ppl I wonder if you could recommend me a good sandboxe program .. I already have running on-scan NOD32, BOCLEAN, Look'n'Stop (+proxomitron & firefox) .. and on-demand, once a month I run KAV on safe-mode .. I also have Microsoft AntiSpyware & AdAware .. everything running on Windows XP SP2 updated. Now I need a sandboxe program, but I would like one that is free cos i already have many programs

I tested PrevX but I didnt like it, it slowed down my pc

does the author of System Safety Monitor intends to turn it a shareware ? If so, then one less option for me :( Does it protect against process modification/registry dll injection/rootkit,driver,service installation/global hooks ?

Thanks in advance

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It has been quite a while and he has NOT turned that into any type of pay ware. It is quite an impressive product and I've followed it for a long time. If 'free' and 'sandbox' is your concern, then that product is worth keeping!

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can check hereon SSM

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

SSM and ProcessGuard are really your only two options for a free sandbox/system firewall. PrevX is a different type of program and can't really be compared with SSM or ProcessGuard. From what we know the author of SSM has indicated that he was going to make a shareware version, but when that will be I don't know, and I'm not sure if there'll still be a free version but if you drop the author an email I'm sure he'll give you some info about that.

ProcessGuard is the only program available that properly secures all of the above. There's a free version available for home users, although it doesn't have all of the features of the full version yet still provides some extremely powerful security (including controlling which programs can/can't run, and protecting applications from termination, modification, suspension, viewing, and other related process attacks). Both Jason and myself have spent nearly the last two years researching the Windows kernel and developing ProcessGuard fulltime, if that gives you any idea of how far ahead it is :). We've gotta say it's nice to be in contact with the SSM author - he's one of the few programmers that truly understands how difficult both the research and development can be

Best regards,
    Wayne

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  5. kareldjag1

kareldjag1 Guest

Hi,

The only free sandboxes that i know are AbtrusionProtector, SSM, and also Winsonar.
    ProcessGuard is not the more exhaustif sandbox, but surely the more powerfull.

There's a less well known product called Viguard (more famous in France because of some polemics).

***Infection System Prevention (with sandbox):

*ProcessGuard

*Viguard: http://www.viguard.com/en/prods_en.php

*AbtrusionProtector: http://www.abtrusion.com/

***Firewall Apllication (with integrity control):

*SystemSafetyMonitor

*Safe'nSec : with a virus scaner;more precise than SSM. http://www.star-force.com/computer_security/security.phtml?c=249&new_prod_red=ok/
    (...)

***Intrusion System Prevention

*Prevx: http://www.prevx.com

I've submited these softs and some others to various attacks (dll injection, process termination...) and even for APIHooks(by a dev.'s friend).

And i have to admit that PG is the more efficient because it's very difficult to corrupt(perhaps by spoofing the MD5 integrity checker).

SSM is more vulnerable and does not impressed me.But have a good protection of the registry.

Viguard is actually tested by a friend.It's auto-protection is less efficient than the PG one.

Best Regards

6. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I am afraid I do not understand what you mean by "registry dll injection". Is that a typo? Dll injection don't seem to have anything to do with registry. Do you mean you want protection from dll injections plus protection from unwanted changes to your registry?
    -hojtsy-

7. capt.hook

capt.hook Guest

Isn't Sandboxie only useable with IE? What if you use another browser type? I never touch IE.

8. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I don't think HoLmEc means sandboxie. I think HoLmEc wants to know about sandbox program.

9. *xavier*

*xavier* Guest

TPF has sandbox features that are very powerful, but not easy to figure out for the average user. Tiny did also, at one time, have TTT (Tiny Trojan Trap) which could be used along with any firewall, I wish they still had it available, it would be fun to experiment with it.

10. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

From the ProcessGuard help file:

Regards,
    Jade :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.