Clarification on Burning Image to DVD+RW via Nero 6

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by huntnyc, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Using TrueImage 8, I have been creating my image holding three HD partitions to a separate HD partition and then burning the whole file in Nero 6 using DVD(UDF) compilation. I do not split the image when I create it. However, I tried to restore my C partition from the boot CD by inserting the DVD but it gave me an error saying this is not the first media of the image. Should I split these images like I have read in other posts before burning them to DVD? Thank you for your help.

Gary

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Gary

What's the size of the single image that you chose to burn to DVD-ROM (UDF) ? I'm assuming it is a single image file of your 3 HD partitions although you did say "....split these images...".

Regards

3. huntnyc

It is a single image of three partitions and is around 4.3 GB in size.

Gary

4. Menorcaman

Hmm. In that case there shouldn't be a problem. I've successfully burnt and restored a number of single images of around 4GB using Nero 6 and never had the problem you've reported. Excuse me asking the obvious but when you set up your Nero DVD-ROM (UDF) session you did select "No Multisession" on the Multisession tab didn't you?

Regards

5. huntnyc

As far as I know I did but will test it in future to see if I can get it to work. I too in the past have restored from DVD with noe problem writing just a single-file image of several partitions to the DVD.

Thanks.

Gary

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gary,
    Hello Menorcaman,

I feel that you do know what you are talking about and also I feel that I don't know as much about DVD-writing and don't have so much experience in it as you do. I will contact our developers and Testing Team in order to know what may cause this error message.

Thank you.

7. huntnyc

This is a big problem now because although my images are created fine to a hard drive partition, they do not successfully write to DVD+RW as they used to. And now, I cannot restore anything from the DVD anymore. The error says my image is corrupted but it is not. Sadly, when it failed to restore my partition from DVD it trashed the partition. This is not acceptable. Hope I can find a solution so I might continue to use this product. Your help appreciated.

Gary

8. huntnyc

I finally was able to restore a partition from DVD+RW in Windows but it took 18 minutes to restore a 500 MB partition that only takes a few seconds to restore from HD.

I guess maybe TI8 is picky about removable media and also I am not thrilled with the restore time. I can only imagine how long it would take to restore my 4 GB image from DVD.

Thanks.

Gary

9. Menorcaman

Hi Gary

Sounds as if you've got a poor quality burn to the DVD and your burner has to slow down in order to error correct and extract the data. Using my Sony DRU 510A with 4 speed Vebatim DataLifePlus media it takes me approx 14 minutes to restore a 3.5GB TI image to my active partition.

It's possible that you're DVD burner is playing up or that its laser lens just need cleaning. What's the current performance like if you burn 4GB of ordinary data off your HD and then use Windows Explorer to copy the data back again?

Regards

10. huntnyc

It takes about 25 minutes to write a 4.1 GB image file with Nero 6. My burner is in my lapton and it is a Sony DVD+RW DW-50A. Any other thoughts would be great. I cannot believe I have lost this functionality.

Gary

11. Menorcaman

O.K. A 25 minute burn sounds about right for the Sony DW-50A. How long does it now take to copy that 4.1GB back to your HD using Windows Explorer (not TI restore)?

Regards

12. huntnyc

Thanks again. I have not tested this but I did run a test with a competing imaging product and it had no trouble reading my image that I burned from HD with Nero from my DVD via its recovery mode outside of Windows. I guess until this resolves itselve I will have to stay with what I believe is more reliable for now.

Thanks.

Gary

13. Menorcaman

I know it sounds a bit strange but it's worth trying a TI uninstall, Registry purge of "TrueImage" entries and then reinstall. A number of other users (myself included) have managed to overcome various "weird" arrisings with TI using this method. It's worth noting that an uninstall and Registry purge of TI entries still doesn't clear out everything installed by TI. It might therefore be worth waiting for Acronis Support (Andrew) to post the manual uninstall instructions as stated in my thread <here>. If that doesn't get you're TI installation back to operating the way it was then I'm afraid I'm out of any further (sensible!) ideas.

Regards

14. huntnyc

Was trying to manually remove entries from Register relating to Acronis and Trueimage but I cannot delete my Acronis folder under a folder called Software under Current Machine I think. I get an error message saying it cannot be deleted by the registry editor. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Gary

15. Menorcaman

Hello again Gary,

Try right clicking on that particular Registry key, select "Permissions" and then tick "Allow" > "Full Control" in order to enable deletion.

Another possibility is that TrueImageMonitor.exe, Schedhlp.exe and Acronis Scheduler2 may still be running. End the first two via Windows Task Manager "Processes" and stop the third one by right clicking "My Computer", select "Manage" > "Services and Applications" > "Services", right click on "Acronis Scheduler2" and select "Stop".

However, it has become apparent that a Registry search/delete for "Acronis" and "TrueImage" wont get rid of everything installed by TI. The only way I achieved a total uninstall of TI 8 build 774 on Windows XP Home was to use the procedure posted by beenthereB4 <here>. If, on subsequently restarting TI, you receive an error message stating that not all of the modules have been installed, just repeat the install.

All this comes with a health warning so make sure you've got a seviceable image to fall back on if need be!!

Regards

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  16. huntnyc

Have followed uninstall instructions and reinstalled latest build of TI 8, but after creating a split image with 7 filesw of 635 MB and then burning them with Nero 6, I cannot get the program boot disk to recognize the image on my DVD burner. It says that the seventh file is not the last file of the image when it clearly is. When I slect the same named file from the hard drive in the recovery environment, it recognizes it as the last file of the image. What is wrong here? I want to use Trueimage because I think it is a superior product but cannot use it if I cannot depend on using the DVD if needed. Your help is greatly appreciated. I am at a loss now. Thanks.

Gary

17. Menorcaman

Not sure whether it makes any difference but you might want to check your settings for Nero's "ISO" tab against mine shown below. However, what I find does make a difference is the write speed when burning a compilation. If I burn at x4 speed to DVD+RW I sometimes receive the same errors that you are experiencing. Reducing the write speed of my Sony burner via Nero's "Burn" tab to x2.4 virtually guarantees me a serviceable image every time.

Regards
    Tom

Attached Files:

18. huntnyc

Thanks and I will give that a go. Maybe it will work for me. I have tried many things. I think the max speed of my drive for writing to DVD is 2.4x but will set it just in case and the other settings you showed. Thanks again. Will take a while to test this but might post back the results in a few hours if I can.

Gary

19. Menorcaman

Suggest it might be worth setting your DVD write speed to something less than maximum if possible.

Tom

20. huntnyc

Well, I tried it as you said but I let it default to whatever speed it was writing and it did not work. If I lower the speed down to 1x, it will be quite slow I think. After all this, giving TI 8 numerous chances to prove itself, I will probably stay with the chief competitor which so far has been flawless and little trouble operating. But, I really wanted to be able to use TI 8 and regret that I cannot use it at this point. Maybe there will be changes in how it deals with DVD's soon.

Thanks so much for all your help in this and I will keep track of this forum for updated information.

Gary

21. Menorcaman

I'm sorry we unable to get TI 8 working properly for you. A real puzzle I must say. Anyway, good luck with your alternative (second choice!!) imaging software.

Regards
    Tom

22. huntnyc

Tom,

As a final try last night, I burned the image onto DVD+RW at 1x speed set in Nero 6 and it still told me that the last file of the split (635 MB) image was not the last volume in the image when I tried to restore from DVD from Recovery mode. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. I have given this software more chances than many programs and truly wanted it to work for me. Should I install Nero again but no other program has trouble reading Nero recorded disks except TI 8. Have not gone back and tested my TI 7 but I might one day. Again, still looking and hoping there might be a solution to this wierd situation. And thank you so much again for your input.

Gary

23. Menorcaman

Gary,

Slightly off topic I know but just out of interest, are you able to restore a DVD image that's been created using the TI direct burn method?

By "direct burn" I mean get TI (running in Windows mode) to create an image direct to DVD+RW that's been UDF formated via packet writing software (in your case it would be InCD). Ensure InCD is running in the Task Bar and choose to let TI span the image automatically across several UDF formated DVDs if need be.

Regards
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  24. huntnyc

Tom,

Did not try your last option yet, but I did experiemtn some more with TI 8 and then put on an old image of my system before I installed TI 8 and then tried TI 7 with several ways of writing to DVD Including your suggestions before, but I could get no version to work. The image could be read on hard drive but not after burning with Nero which I uninstalled, cleared the rigstry and reinstalled it. I might try this again but really I have given TrueImage more time than many other apps and still no success yet. Again, thanks for all your help in this.

Gary

25. huntnyc

Tom,

Just tried TI 8 burning directly using InCD but I could not get the image to read when in Windows. It said the archive was not the last archive when it was. I do not really know what to think at this point.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.