Image archive is corrupted - help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mpansing, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpansing

mpansing Guest

I'm using TI7 Bld 613 and am having a regular problem doing a "Restore Image". The image creations seem to go fine. I direct them to an external hard drive. I say to create 700mb files under normal compression. But when I try and do an image restore I get the message "The image archive is corrupted". I use W98SE. When I try to restore the image, I'm booting from the correct TI7/613 Boot CD that I created from the TI7/613 software on the laptop. I get to the point where I click on the image file I want to restore, I click on it, then a minute or so later I get the "corrupted" message above. I point at the last image file of the set on the external hard drive. Actually when I used TI6 I could point at any of the image files and the restore worked fine. I'd go back to V6 but we really can use the automated backup feature. It saves us a bunch of time and effort. If I can't figure this out it will be back to V6 with no automated backups (bummer). We didn't have this "corrupted image" problem with V6.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. me75006

me75006 Registered Member

The latest version for 7.x is 634,
    you might want to update, and build a new rescue cd.
    Updates are available at the Acronis web site.

3. ws123

ws123 Guest

Version 6 worked fine.
    The actual version 7 and 8 newest update create only corrupted files.
    What to do is the question. Is there maybe a problem uf actual TI versions and xp sp2??

4. bearcat245

bearcat245 Registered Member

I have a simular problem with a corrupted image. It was created in version 7 and I upgraded to verson 8. My system is down and when trying to rebuild I get the corrupted file error. It worked once before, but now I am stuck. It is a 36GB image of all my files. The image is located on a 150GB external hard drive (USB) that has a Western Digital HDD. It took me serveral reloads of WINXP PRO to finally get it loaded so the TrueImage recovery CD would even let me select a image to restore. I need this image restored ASAP.
    Anything I might be missing? :(

5. bearcat245

bearcat245 Registered Member

E-mail support from Acronis suggested creating a "Drive Letter" from the windows installed OS and True Image. I was able to do this with version 8.0 but this is a poor solution.
    I have to copy my critical files back and then reinstall all applications.
    Some of the files will not copy and must be currpted to that extent.
    Version 7 worked fine on the one other restore I had to do.
    Version 8 is turning out to be the pits. :mad:
    What is the sense of a restore image that does not work?

6. Peter Gray

Peter Gray Registered Member

Is there any chance of getting an "upgrade" from TI8 to TI6?

TI8 is the first version I've tried, based on reviews of TI6, and a hopelessly naive assumption that later versions would be even better. But it seems that this is yet another case of over-ambitious and untested software. Minor new features, major new bugs. This barely qualifies as beta software. More like alpha-zero.

As I wait another two hours for what I can only guess will be yet another failed image backup, I wonder whether any other users have gotten this thing to work properly. Even once. Even on the simplest possible system.

Please, Acronis, stop now and FIX this software!! NO NEW FEATURES...until you've fixed the old ones.

Sorry to enter this forum with flames, but I'm fed up with this kind of thing. Eventually I'll ask for a refund (yeah, good luck...), but who's going to refund all my wasted time?

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Peter,

The answer to your question above is yes - many times. Although my system isn't overly complex, it's not the most simple either.

Are you seeking help from other members of this Forum? If so you'll need to provide some specifics e.g. :

Hardware configuration?
    O/S?
    TI Version/Build number?
    Nature of problem?
    Error messages?

Regards

8. Luminous

Luminous Registered Member

I've been having corruption issues.

System specs:
    Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2 BIOS 1007
    Athlon XP 2500+
    Ati 9600 Pro
    Win XP Pro SP2

2 of the 3 images that I have made using TI8 have been corrupt. The 1 image that is not corrupt has not correctly restored my machine - see my other posts.

I was thinking that my machine was starting to go horribly wrong as it was freezing when using the Acronis software.

I also get very strange behaviour from the restored image - it will work on some HDDs but not others

I've also had some problems trying to recover an image over the network when using the emergency boot CD. Sometimes it will see the image file that I want, other times it will not.

All this was from the version of TI8 that I downloaded last Sunday. Turns out that the software I downloaded from Acronis' site was out of date. I stupidly thought that when you bought it over the web they would send you the latest version. Anyway, I've used their update facility to get the latest versions of Disk Director and TI. I'll use those and report back.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I agree. It's a real pain having to immediately download a further 30MB in order to update your new purchase especially if, like me, you are on a slow dial up connection.

Perhaps Acronis could explain the rationale behind this bizarre situation?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.