Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

free AdFender
    http://adfender.com/index.html

Features
    Blocks all types of ads
    Blocks malware domains
    Automatic filter updates
    Speeds up web browsing
    Protects online privacy
    Removes profiling cookies
    ---
    Filter lists
    Filter lists are mainly derived from EasyList and/or its variants. In addition to this, AdFender also includes a Malware Domain Blocklist that blocks domains known for propagating malware and/or spyware. Supplementary subscriptions include Arabic, Chinese, Czech, EasyPrivacy, Dutch, French, German, Italian and Russian filter lists. By default, the English filter set is enabled and other filter lists can be selected based on user preferences.

--------------------------------

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2234915#post2234915
    www.raymond.cc/blog/adfender-block-advertisements-without-plugins

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Thanks for the info :)

Ghostery removed from Firefox and ABS installed.

3. fixanoid

fixanoid Registered Member

As good? DNTMe lists haven't been updated in more than a year at this point. Heres a reference we run monthly for comparisons: http://www.areweprivateyet.com/

4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

i was a beta tester in 2006 i believe it was through 2009, Avira always made a way to avoid certain pitfalls i use Win Patrol to help me set it up.. Just installed it today to see what there was to see and so far its running fine.. This is one service that is running according to Win Patrol.. the others you can deny at start up our choice, that is so far..:ouch:

http://www.winpatrol.com/db/pluscloud/avgnt.html?avgnt.exe&39&4&1&1&2&1&410&3338&93624

I'm thinking Trjam was there as well..;)

5. Twilightseven

Twilightseven Registered Member

Re: Avira update and request for feedback.

Hello Mr. CEO,

skimming through recent posts I noticed that Avira has improved and it shows you guys are on the right track again (finally). That's why I switched back and tried some of your products. So far so good.

I have a question regarding the Android Security though. It recently saved my butt, thanks for that. However, I read online that you are planning to release a premium version of it according to: http://blog.anti-virus4u.com/2014/01/avira-android-security-premium-version.html

Which functionalities are you guys planning to implement, because I noticed that some other apps of the same kind have features, which I would not like to miss:

- scan scheduling
    - APPLICATION LOCKING, Privacy cleaner, Junk cleaner, etc.
    - Account protection, Financial protection
    - intruder alert (takes pictures and records audio when somebody tries to take my phone), lock cam remotely
    - Privacy advisor (overview of which app gathers which kind of information)
    - monitoring of the sim card, content
    - task killer
    - Signal flare (lookout has such a function, it saves the last position of the phone before the battery dies)
    - Backup (contacts, photos, videos and music, apps, calls and logs, downloaded files)

I also like the idea of Online Essentials and I think it is a good approach. However, I miss the opportunity to take action. For instance, I would like to schedule the daily scans for my phone, etc. It's just an example, but I think you get the idea.

Furthermore I wanted to know whether my current license would include the premium Android product because according to here, apparently one license covers all products: http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1623
    I also think that you guys should market this idea of one license with unlimited devices a bit more. In my opinion this is a competitive advantage guys!!!

Have a nice day!

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

Re: Avira update and request for feedback.

just PLEASE keep any of that extra junk to the android version and off the windows ones. i do not want any of that with the windows one. i can see some benefit for android though.

7. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

if you denied the avgnt(avira tray icon) you will miss all many alerts including realtime protection sideup,update notification....

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Can I use Avira Free and set different settings for each user account, on my PC, or all users will have the same?

9. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

Hi all,

there has been quite a few questions directed to me, which I owe answers on. My apologies for not being a daily reader, but will do my best to keep abreast.

Webgaurd vs Avira Browser Safety (ABS)
    Avira Browser Safety is a URL checker against a known list of malicious web-sites, we are aware of. In addition it blocks trackers, services who collect information about your behavior online. Webgaurd is an advanced solution, which also addresses issues, such as exploits from web-sites we might not yet be aware of, and therefore adds an additional layer of security. Previously we were shipping Webgaurd for free, if a user accepted our toolbar (Ask.com). With the inclusion of ABS, we have removed Webgaurd from the free offering and made it only available for those users who pay for our premium application. I agree with many of your comments that it would be nice to offer Webgaurd for free too. We are working on a plan to increase our web security offering for the free users, but I'm not able to share this with you yet. Until now, it's one of the reason to convince some of you to pay for our software..

Android Premium Version
    We have received a requirement from our premium users and professional customers to have a premium application. The customers requested a dedicated support telephone number and contact for the product. Currently the only difference between our premium version and the free product is the ability to contact our support directly, as well as, we have increased the update frequency versus the free product (free=once per day).
    We have quite a large backlog of security features, some mentioned in previous posts, which we will be bringing to the market in short. I hope I'll be able to share more in the near future.

Online Essentials
    The solution, which we have now released, to all English and German product customers, is what we call a "minimum viable product". We will be adding a lot of great features in the near future; allowing our "Rudi's" to have more control over the devices they manage. "Rudi" is our internal persona, who is tech savy and helps others be more secure. Of course "Rudi" can also just manage his own devices too. You will see more separation between "Emma" and "Rudi's" in our future products. Where Emma is a regular user, who is not tech savy, and want's to just know they are okay. "Rudi's" want to dig in deep and be able to make configurations or view logs and reports (much like the readers in this forum:D )

I believe I've captured most of the open topics since my last post. Feel free, as I'm sure you will, to continue commenting...

Regards,

Travis

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Good to know that finally you discover what ABS is.........

ABS it's an URL checker.............

----------------------
    Few minutes ago there was a strange update:

who needs reboot.
    After reboot, I noticed that build was the same: 14.0.3.350

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  11. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation but I am bit confused on this sentence, does it mean that webguard also does the things that ABS does such as check URLs....I.E. it is a superset of ABS? Thanks.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

@ 800ster,
    Webguard is a transparent system proxy for HTTP. It doesn’t filter secured connections (HTTPS). Every page which is downloaded by the computer (browser or any other service) is first compared against a local blacklist and if it proves to be malicious (hosts malware or phishing) gets blocked. If the page passes this level, it is saved in a temporary folder and scanned by the scanning engine for malicious content.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2167621&postcount=3

13. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

Thanks, that link helped. Can I assume the blacklist mentioned is the same bad URL list as is used in ABS?

14. anon

anon Registered Member

15. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Really? Avira has completely dropped the ball. First it was the toolbar fiasco just to get the webguard; now you drop the webguard entirely from the free version and just add the URL checker? All the other free options have a URL checker of some kind IN ADDITION TO a complete webguard. :mad:

I am DONE with Avira and will no longer recommend it.

16. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I wouldn't consider the webguard (or toolbar or whatever) that important. If you are privacy concerned it's actually better to run without it (just think about it for a second: how are they earning money with the free version?). What counts in my opinion is that the free version now includes APC. APC is the reason why Avira is back at the top, not any web protection features. It has probably the best zero-day protection of all free products.

Don't be so dramatic. You are getting protection on the same level as expensive suites for free. I was actually surprised to see even APC included in the free product, but the satisfaction with these news has dissipated quickly and has been replaced by a "even more for free - NOW NOW NOW!!!" attitude. You are pretending like you're being robbed when you're actually just a freeloader.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I personally will be happy to try it if and when the boot time issues are gone, and I have no need for anything more than what they're currently offering in the free version. Sounds good to me...

18. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

It would be great if you still maintain the webguard feature in the free version if the toolbar is installed. That way you can still generate revenue from toolbar and the user who wishes to have webguard can still have one.

19. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

avreg.yml = proactiv rules update

20. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Yes i still have that running but since my last post I've noticed it a bit sluggish to start up..:gack:

21. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I dunno whats going on with other systems but I just switched today from Panda Cloud to Avira because of detection rates and Panda Cloud was the lightest ever on my machine and with Avira free installed it boots up just as fast as it did with Panda on it.

But that's just my system...

22. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Boot time 20 sec here :thumb:

23. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

I tried Avira free but never could get the Windows firewall turned on. Ran it in a non-administrator account. Anyone have that problem, or suggest a fix?

24. anon

anon Registered Member

OS?

-----------------------------
    Thank you!

25. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Actually, no. It contains information used for repair and the quick scan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.