Will you still be using Firefox with sponsored tiles?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 15, 2014.

?

Will you still be using Firefox with sponsored tiles?

1. No I refused to use any software with ads

46 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. Yes I will manage to hide the ads

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Yes I will enjoy the new tiles

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Difficult to vote one way or the other at this time. I will wait and see how it gets implemented and what configuration options are made available. The Desktop may have to be changed to another browser if I can not turn off Ad Tiles (or at least blank them out). For my personal system I will use the best browser that I can find and use it responsibly.

For touch screen users, tiles are soooo today (OMG did I just say that). Tiles for the OS and now tiles for the browser... guess we should have anticipated this. Industry likes it and so do the advertisers. It is a lure that our youth see no problem with. Consequences be damned.

It remains to be seen how slick these ad tiles are going to be. Let's see if any security issues are also addressed by this paradigm shift in browser usage. I might be swayed to accepting them too if they are an improvement over what we have today.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'd rather see Mozilla charge for the software than see it adware sponsored. Unless I'm misreading the articles, Mozilla wants this money for other projects, like their mobile ecosystem. Ecosystems are the territory of corporations like Google, Apple, and MS. Mozilla keeps ignoring the fact that they got where they are by not being like everyone else, not by imitating them. They can't compete with multi-billion dollar corporations on their terms. They absolutely don't need to follow the same capitalist pattern of constantly getting bigger and expanding into more areas. If FireFox itself is financially viable, it should be separated from these other projects, not be expected to fund them. Let their planned ecosystem pay its own way or find its own funding.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

100% agree, no reason for Firefox to support Firefox OS. If they want to make a new OS then let it be profitable on its own.
    Im currently testing SeaMonkey to see if I can live with it as a replacement. It's not too bad with Sea Fox extension and Firefox 3 theme. I managed to put File Edit Bookmarks menus alongside navigation buttons and the address bar which maximizes my viewing space. Something that I wasn't able to do in FF. The downside is that some extensions don't work with SeaMonkey.

4. noone_particular

The extensions that I like all work fine on SeaMonkey, thanks in part to the disable compatibility check addon. There was an addon, XSidebar if I recall right, that made quite a few more extensions compatible. Not sure if it's still available for the current versions.

My main concern is whether or not the rest of the Gecko browsers follow suit. If they do, I'll stay with the last clean version. Mozilla seems bent on becoming the same kind of corporation as Google, Apple, etc. If they're determined to follow this "grow or die" policy, then it needs to die.

5. mattdocs12345

Yeah I installed this extension and yet when I go to Disconnet Me websites I still get an error that this adon is not compatible with seamonkey 2.24

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I didn't vote because I didn't entirely agree with the options. I will likely dump Firefox but it is a combination of this and Australis and some other poor decisions they have recently made.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It will depend on how they implement it. If it goes as expected and I'm able to easily block them, then no.

The thing is though I'm moving to Win7 within the next few months, and am going to rethink everything at that time. I may change browsers anyhow if I find one works better than FF given that situation/setup. And it may have nothing to do with these changes.

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

This is an idea, not something that has happened. When and if it does happen, I will decide if I will continue to use Firefox. At this point I see no viable alternatives out there to replace Firefox as I know and use it. So unless this idea of adding ads cannot be disabled or I find it a real annoyance, I will most likely still use Firefox.

9. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I've just started testing Seamonkey here too. It works ok so far, with Scriptish filling in for Greasemonkey. An advantage of Seamonkey vs Firefox 24 ESR is that the former supports TLS 1.2.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i voted no.

i will use Chrome or IE.

which are the only 2 major browsers we will be left with when Opera and FireFox have finished imploding. :shifty:

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

My crystal ball shows me that among the plenty of 'No's, most of them would remain using Firefox when the time comes. It has yet to fail me so far...so let's see.

12. mattdocs12345

Probably so myself included. I am currently testing out SeaMonkey, whether I can stick with it or not depends on whether I have problem loading pages or getting all the extensions I want to work.
    Even so... the fact that people don't want to stick with Firefox but will have to due to lack of suitable alternative will still leave them with sour taste. Which means that once a suitable competitor shows up, FF is gone.
    Something like that happened back in the days when Blockbuster had a monopoly in U.S. for movie rentals. People hated them because of overinflated penalties and plain greed. They had no choice but to use them because there was no alternative until Netflix showed up. Now big almighty Blockbuser is gone, most people even forgot it existed.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Don't see what all the fuss is about – I use Firefox in Win7 and 8, plus all my distros (x10) - am halfway through updating the lot and don't see the Tiles at all. (only on a new install of FF - and Tiles is easy to disable!)

14. SouthPark

When testing SeaMonkey, I liked it so much that I have already dumped Firefox :D

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If Seamonkey and FF are both made by Mozilla, how would one be better than the other? Is NoScript addon, and themes available on Seamonkey?

16. noone_particular

SeaMonkey shares a lot of components with FireFox but they're not directly controlled by Mozilla. Mozilla discontinued development when it was called the Mozilla Suite. Other developers took it over. They can implement as little or as much of the FireFox code as they choose to.

I'm pretty sure that NoScript does have a SeaMonkey version. There are themes, though not as many as there are for FireFox.

17. SouthPark

I found SeaMonkey renders pages faster; I also like that it has more options settings within the UI compared to Fx.

I don't use No Script, but the SeaMonkey version of it is at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamonkey/addon/noscript/

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks guys.;) It looks like they have a 64x version from what I see. Is it really a released version? If so, why can't FF have one as well? Is anyone using Seamonkey 64x, and is it an improvement over the 32x version?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  19. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

20. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

SeaMonkey is looking better every day! :D

21. noone_particular

Maybe those who like SeaMonkey should contact the developers and ask them not to follow the course that FireFox has taken, before big money starts working them over.

22. Daveski17

The SeaMonkey developers are a bit idealistic IMO & will not be swayed by the dark side. ;)

23. SouthPark

I've only used the 32-bit so far.

24. Daveski17

I don't think the x64 SM is official, at least on Windows.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha welcome back Dave :D I thought about you when I saw this thread yesterday then checked your profile and could see that you hadn't been online since Dec 4: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=360393

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.