German blogger calls Adblock Plus 'a mafia-like advertising network'

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

So what do they have to sue over? ABP's business model is transparent; the software is open source and the filter lists are easily available.

Reminds me of Blue Frog. They came up with a way to help people who didn't want spam to keep from getting spam, and it even helped the spammers by knowing who would fight back against them. But the spammers didn't like not being completely in control and had to try to force their filth on everyone. I suspect many of the same people are involved in the attacks on ABP.

Or maybe ABP is like Dyson in that little story that may or may not be based on any kind of fact. ABP comes up with something that works, and then endures all kinds of attacks by the evil capitalists. I guess there's a lot of money in the ad business.

Thanks again to Pinga and other ad spammers posing as news sources for keeping us up on their propaganda.:D

In any case, it's fascinating how many people seem to be siding with the purveyors of obnoxious ads.

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Adblock Plus
    Rich Mullikin, APR, +1 415-464-8110 x216
    Mobile: +1 925-354-7444
    rich@rocketscience.com

3. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

You can't answer anything intelligently or honestly, can you? All you can do is keep spamming forums with your quotes from marketing propagandists.

4. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

I haven't read the full articles, but that quote about the legal action and blocking ad blockers certainly doesn't engender sympathy from me for those marketing companies listed. It's quite the opposite actually. It sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

It's always funny and a bit sad to see that there will always be people who will demand stuff for free. Yes, demand. Like if the developer owed anything to them. Really, there's no such thing as 'free stuff' in this world, there's always a trade-off, monetary or not.

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

That's fine. I will just find another way to block those pesky adds or I will simply not view their content.
    Yes there is. I downloaded the operating system that I am currently using for Free. I also use a bunch of Free software. Now I volunteered and made a donation last year but I didn't have to.

7. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Read again, I said monetary or not. Registration, stats sharing, feedback, facebook 'likes', twitter 'follows', referrals, etc... There are so many ways developers get funds from...

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

The TweakGuides site is one of the few that I've added to my white list in the past because of the unobtrusive ads and how they're displayed, not to mention I find the site useful and don't want to deprive him of any revenue.

http://www.tweakguides.com/
    ^ This is a good example of a positive effect that can come from that policy if other sites are willing to tone it down in a similar way that TweakGuides has always done. If ABP can reduce the amount of the various obtrusive, irritating, and in-your-face ads that are used on the Web, then that's a good thing.

It also makes a case for having the "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" option enabled by default, whether you agree with it or not.

10. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://meedia.de/2014/02/11/kampfansage-unser-ziel-ist-adblock-plus-ueberfluessig-zu-machen/

11. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

12. niki

niki Registered Member

^^ As soon as I found out that ABP allowed Google ads as acceptable, I dumped ABP and installed Adblock Edge. If I want to support a site I just disable ABE.

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Cry me a river. Disable "acceptable advertising", done. Who cares that they are making money off advertisers? That's a good thing in my book. Milk them for all they are worth, for a feature I don't use.

14. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Self-entitlement 101. Well they're free to limit their own choices in life, as long as they don't force it upon others like towards ABP.

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

19. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

21. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

How about:

6. Acceptable Ads do not track the user.

But that would hurt the advertising business, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: Until then, for me no ads are acceptable.

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Problem with that one principle, as opposed to the others, is that you have to completely trust the advertisers/marketers they respect it. I rather not rely on their words.

23. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That is what DoNotTrack initiative aims to achieve...but we know how that has gone so far.

For privacy-oriented users, recommended to subscribe to EasyPrivacy filter list. The "Acceptable Ads" option will be turned off.

24. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Finally, we can agree on something.;)

End-user control is the best but unfortunately, not necessarily the most practical for most users. I would still like to see a DNT-like approach gain more recognition and respected by the industry; even if it cannot be relied upon. Something is better than nothing.

25. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

IAB's general counsel has a counterattack: block the blockers.
    (Some Koolaid required) - pursuant; in part to ABP's new acceptable adds manifesto.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/ad-blockers-get-ad-group-execs-blood-boiling-q-a/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.