What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Some of you may be asking. So here's the answer: a long and important article discussing the options facing the users following the Windows XP official end of life in April 2014, focusing on hardware, software and security considerations, including alternatives like other versions of Windows, Linux, virtualization, hardening, and more. Do take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-xp-end-of-life.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

No biggie.

People happily run Mac OSX Leopard on their Mac Power PCs even after Apple abandoned them altogether and surprisingly enough - decent software is still available for it even though Apple no longer provides support or patches for the hardware/OS.

Windows XP users can do the same thing - just because its EOL doesn't mean a good OS system has to be retired. It can be run forever - as long as the desktop processor lasts. You don't need to feel like you have to have the latest and greatest to love your PC.

We've been conditioned to live in a throw away society but classics are what they are and people cherish them! Call us Luddites but the way Apple and Microsoft have treated their customers is no reason to repay them for their lack of regards for their customer base by keeping up with upgrade after upgrade.

3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thank you Mrkvonic,
    Nice article. I am not going to throw away functioning hardware because of Microsoft's policies.

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Well put. One thing that doesn't get covered a lot in computer security discussions is assessment and evaluation of risk. It is like STDs. There are lifestyles that run extreme risk and those that run no risk whatsoever. If what you are doing with a computer is not very risky to begin with, the chances of being exploited by an unpatched vulnerability are minimal and can be mitigated further by basic security practices like LUA that are independent of the operating system being used.

5. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

option 2, try win7.

you can easily make it look like winxp if you must.

6. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I don't know, but I think a lot of users might be confused by "end of life" and "dies" to describe XP. They might think come April 2014 they'll turn on their computer and nothing will work. But the article does clear that up so thanks for sharing.

For me a very effective security measure is a good firewall. No need for constant security patches. Also, backup images can get you out of a jam quick.

Has anyone heard if Microsoft Safety Scanner will still work on XP past April? My sense is it probably won't, at least not for long, but I'm not sure.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Sell it?

Everyone tosses functioning hardware, everyday. That new car to replace the 10 year old one. That new lightbulb that's more efficient. Those new shoes. It's really the way life works. I have a stack of legacy SOHO routers, perfectly working, functional, but nobody wants it. Always something better coming out, and being a luddite is progressively becoming a poorer decision as technology advances onward.

Don't fault the developer, they are merely responding to progression of their matrix. A game developer making an advanced game that requires a 64-Bit OS isn't doing it to punish you. They are doing it to put out a better product. Don't take it so personally.

I was amazed when I replaced our 2001 vehicle with a 2014 one. My music on my smart phone instantly plays on my car stereo the moment I step into it. The backup camera saves me the trouble of looking behind. The navigation system guides me through unfamiliar towns with east. It's not that my 2001 wasn't functioning, but a point and time comes when you really need to realize that you are missing out by adhering to luddite mentalities.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.