Avg linkscanner 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by boombastik, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Anyone use it?
    -http://download.cnet.com/AVG-LinkScanner-Free-Edition-2014/3000-2144_4-10610872.html

I installed it and it dosent slow web browser and it is not istall anything else except avg linkscaner surf protection which protects from exploits and scripts virus in real time.
    It is a nice addon for microft security essensials whitch is not provide script scanning?? What do u think? And what is the difrence from avg safe search??
    I read somewhere that linkscanner is not anymore supported but i see tha avg linkscanner 2014 is new..

2. boombastik

Hmm it works well with mse + malwarebytes pro

Attached Files:

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

First off you might want to get it here instead of cnet:

-http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/AVG-LinkScanner.shtml

There are screenshots on Softpedia and you won't have to deal with a "wrapper". The program looks OK to me. Just be prepared for the AVG "up sell" for all of their other products. Regarding Safe Search it isn't mentioned, but I'd check the search engines list after installing the Link Scanner.

4. boombastik

I double checked all my browsers there is no existance of new search engines.
    It is clear linkscanner.
    Also i install it in my real machine from majorgeeks.
    The above threat is real and also avast web shield blocks it.
    So it is a nice addition without the craps like search engines and tolbars.
    U have no need to untick something it is a clear install with the only option to install surf shield. But i dont know if it supported or not... The claim that that they dont support standalone linkscanner , only avg safe search but they qontinue to update it...

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I used to use AVG Linkscanner. However, the installion is Huge (Bloatware?) and when I eventually uninstalled it, the uninstall was not as 'clean' as it should have been.

I am quite sure that the 'downloaded' exe is only a 'setup' exe. This exe will download the full installation during the install process.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the additional info.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Since the download is 4 megs it makes sense that it's only a stub installer. When you say "huge" how big are we talking, and what was left behind after you uninstalled it? Very few programs uninstall 100% clean.

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

The good, old Linkscanner is back. Is it really needed with EMET? ;)

9. boombastik

The instalation folder is 80 mb and it runs 3 services with the ram of total 12mb.
    It doesnt slow browsers and in my vwmare test it does what it says..
    Later i will test the unistallation progress... and if it unistall without problem(2013 had problems with unistallation) i will keep it in my main machine.

10. boombastik

Ok the unistaller is totaly clear.
    No drivers, No folders. no non plug and play drivers.
    A few registry entries stayed, but i removed most of them easily with Ccleaner reg cleaner.
    I will keep it :D

11. I have problably secured my IE11 to much. It did not show any search results after installation and processes were not using CPU time either. :oops:

12. boombastik

It is not show any search result .
    Its propuse is to protect u from malicious scripts and web based threats.
    If u want to see if it is work, u can use this test page from another product
    (its safe link) :

-http://www.explabs.com/test/
    and push run the test

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

How light does this run?

Does it have a lot of background processes?

14. @boombastik,

Thanks, it works (website AVG also mentiones search results, like a version I tried in the past, that was my confusion)

@TyRidian

Wel it adds very little overhead to IE startup/launch en browsing speed. Three processen use (at my E5200) about 10 seconds while browsing an hour with IE11 (also little disk access). I don't mind Memory, I have 2GB Ram on 32 bits win 7 and most of the time 1 GB RAM free. I remember the AVG Linkscanner 2010 version, used a lot of CPU time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What about ads? Does the UI display tiles for other AVG products and/or are there pop-ups? The AVG free AV is notorious for that stuff so I'll be pleasantly surprised if the link scanner doesn't do the same.

16. Used it since yesterday evening. No ads until now (only upgrade ad bar at the bottom in main application console) will update this post when it pushes ads (e.g. on time intervals).

17. boombastik

No ads here except one ad in main application, whitch is no problem.
    I use it 2 days. The autoupade fuction is hard coded and maybe every 12 hours.
    Its an install and forget application.

18. I think I get the idea of Link Scanner: 95% of the malware is crafted using existing exploitkits. Analyse the behaviour of these kits, generate a "code" fingerprint for it and check for it in real time (not the URL, but intercept the script triggered for execution next analyze and sanatize it). :thumb:

Since it seems to be completely redesigned using way less CPU, it is worth a try (when your AV does not have it or you don't use a real time AV, like me).
    The old (Google) search result, no longer is part of AVG Linkscanner, it is implemented with AVG specific search provider (powered by Google), link http://isearch.avg.com/tab?cid=&cklang=en

Note: not all pop-ups of AVG linkscanner would have lead to an infection: with an updated PC you would have been protected against 95% of the public available exploitkits anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  19. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I wonder how this compares to Malware Bytes Anti Exploit? Better, worse, can both be added simultaneously?

20. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

21. COmplementary, MBAM has URL filtering and checks program executions, AVG Linkscanner checks for exploits in scripts

22. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) does not have URL filtering, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Pro has it. MBAE might stop an exploit very early through stage 1 mitigation techniques or it will stop the payload (= the actual malware that is delivered through the exploit) from being executed. MBAE might block the website, which hosts the exploit code, or it might detect the payload with its signatures or heuristics when it's about to be executed.

As far as I know, neither screen the script content of a website for malicious code. MBAM blocks websites via simple blacklist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.