AV-Comparatives Summary Report 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

2. MultiVisions2013

MultiVisions2013 Registered Member

AV-Comparatives gave Emsisoft Antimalware special recognition for getting the Silver Award in the Real-World Protection Test in its first year of testing.:eek:

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Good job Kaspersky. Very surprised Bitdefender wasn't in the top 3 for real-world protection, but glad Avast! was! Very disappointing to see how AVG did in almost all tests. Almost thinking of not recommending them since there are so many better alternatives.

4. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Product of the year: Kaspersky :thumb:

Top rated products: Bitdefender, ESET, F-Secure, Avast, BullGuard, Fortinet and Avira

Congrats to all.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Nice report. Best products are on top. Thank you for making all tests and share results.

Regards, hqsec

6. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

That Avira is among the top-rated despite the 2013 version's awful results dragging it down says a lot about its current quality. :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

give it up, not many people belives or even care anymore in AV test.
    this was excited and famous in 2010-2012 but not anymore. sorry :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. anon

anon Registered Member

Are you a self appointed spokesman for them or what?

Speak for yourself......

9. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Wrong

For one thing, AV-Comparatives and AV-Test are different organizations.

Secondly, AV-Comparatives is a well respected tester, and the proprietor is a long-time and respected contributor to this forum.

Sorry Snowflakes, it is you who pretty much nobody cares about.

I'm just say'in..

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great job AV-C, and well written info about each product :thumb:

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Appreciate the report! I'll have to run it by my AV Guru and spiritual advisor...trjam!:D

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you for the lead-in Dino.;)

As always, I would have to say that IBK is right on the money with this report. As always. I knew, we all did that Kaspersky should be Product of the Year. At least he reports it accurately.

Bitdefender, ESET, F-Secure, Avast, BullGuard, Fortinet and Avira are all great products and you cant go wrong with any of them. Others did well and his report shows where a little effort in development, they will have no trouble doing great this year.

Thank you IBK for having the most accurate and non-bias reporting of them all.:thumb:

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

IBK, there are few faults in the review of avast! GUI and functions.

- complaint over manual updating
    It can be quickly accessed and performed through right click menu of trey icon (for program and VPS).
    Button for manual updating can also be placed in the 4 configurable slots in the main menu.

- complaint over no warnings for PUP
    While avast! supports PUP's detection, they are disabled by default for all shields and all scans. I have them (PUP detection) enabled for Quick and Full scan but disabled for shields. PUP's are not necessarely evil so it's up to the user how thorough they want to perform the scans.

- complaint over ability to disable avast! with non-admin account
    While this may not be a default functionality to deny access to non-admin users by default, you can password protect entire program (non-admin user can't change or use any function) or just parts of it (not being able to change its scan settings, but is still able to perform scans or perform manual updates).

- no mention of avast! forum under help comments
    While i agree basic help documentation is needed, i think avast! forums are one of the biggest "selling" points for avast!. While not perfect (what is), it does provide straight answers to user questions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  14. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Avast did well...3/3 in both real world categories and plus 3/3 in removal was also impressive and a improvement from before.I wish proactive part also could have been 3/3 instead of 2/3.

Now we need to wait what avast dyna-gen and stuff bring to table in 2014.Great going so far!!

1 question,is the chart in attachment according to scores or its just sorted in any manner??

Attached Files:

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

@Rejzor: those are not complaints, just observations based on the default settings.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Observaions, complaints, problems, whatever you may want to call them. It wasn't entirely accurate and that's the reason why i replied that. Specificaly because in your description it sounds like a problem where in reality it's a non issue. Out of all the mentioned stuff, only help files are something that might be an actual real problem here.

17. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

They're in order from best to worst based on test results only. I believe that they're ranked according to total number of stars (max=9*3=27). If that's correct, then note that missing test results hurt a product a lot in the rankings.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I believe they test products with default settings unless vendors request to change something so i think the observations are indeed valid. ;)

19. 031

031 Registered Member

It will be great if Fortinet team manages to fix the performance issues. If we consider detection and removal, Fortinet seems to be in the top league :thumb: :thumb:

20. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

ESET == 3rd Best Product :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

21. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Agreed. I'm giving it another go; just not on my pc's!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.