Baidu Antivirus 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

My friend has a similar experience recently. I suggested BAV to her when she asked me to recommend a free antivirus so I really felt bad when her system got infected while (supposedly) protected with BAV. Quite fortunately Kaspersky TDSS quickly found and removed the nasty and I quickly removed BAV from her system! - hopefully Avast AV Free (which I just installed on her system) will be more reliable.

JA

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

When installed the Avira real time protection is disabled by default. That would severly limit protection if Baidu is not run along side another antivirus. I have it running with avast and do not have any problems by I have Avira real time protection turned off.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2197173&postcount=81

3. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Baidu has just updated the programme version to 4.0.3.54011 automatically. But I noticed after rebooting that the 'Engine options' have reverted back to their default settings so those using Avira for real time protection will need to re-enable it.

4. musings4

musings4 Registered Member

I'm now using this AV alongside Comodo Internet Security and it light as a feather. So far no conflicts brewing :D !

5. ghodgson

Re the Avira defs update issue in Baidu present for the last 2 weeks, which hopefully is now resolved as ......
    Today Bav updated to the latest Avira defs release ver 7.11.121.108

6. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

Nice about 4.0.3, 4.2.2 beta's Avira db here are still over a week old.

7. ghodgson

Hi Jaspion,
    Yes the latest stable release ver 4.0.3.54011 is updating very nicely now.
    I also have the 4.2.2 beta on XP mode and as you say that version is not yet updating.

8. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

Jaspion, do you feel that Baidu is a true complementary anti-virus product, as is WSA, which I have been using for almost 3 years. In fact I use WSA along with Avast free and have no issues whatsoever. Anyway, I am not saying you can put a lot of stock in this review, but it's the first time I have seen a roundup of the major AV software players where Baidu was in the conversation. That interests me. Take a look at this comparison.

http://features.en.softonic.com/antivirus-comparison-2013-2014-best-security-software

When my Webroot license expires could I use Baidu in the same role I now use with WSA and run it along side Avast? I would love to have 100% free security solutions on my home PC. Adding Baidu into the mix would achieve that. I also run Privatefirewall. Oh, by the way, the combo of WSA, Avast & PFW runs so light with almost no impact on system resources and with the fastest boot times I've ever had on the home PC. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  9. Jaspion

I run Privatefirewall too, it's great! My current setup is basically FortiClient (real-time file monitor off because it's slow, web blocking on, I use it for on-demand scans too) + Baidu (high heuristics, Avira engine on real-time) + Privatefirewall (High settings, Process Detection, Manual Control).

I can't compare Baidu to WSA because I have no experience with WSA. But so far Baidu has been working very well for me, it's really very light.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Has anyone ran this with ESET?

12. Jaspion

One person asked about ESET compatibility in the Baidu forum, and Baidu said it's compatible.

13. Overkill

Great! :D

14. Overkill

Well I tried Baidu but it kept interfering with erp loading at bootup and the ram was quite high so I removed it...I do have a question, how do I delete these locked entries?
    Are there any uninstall tools for Baidu so I can make sure everything is gone?

screenshot.1.png

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10. Burn the iso file. Boot and then use the registry editor to delete the keys. You could also try changing the security permissions of the keys but I think using the Kaspersky Registry editor is the easiest.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/8110

16. Overkill

Are there any specialty registry tools that delete locked keys? is it safe to delete those since Baidu is gone?

17. Jaspion

I don't think you need any special tools, just to change the ownership of the keys.

With a quick googling I found this, it may help you:
    If you're having trouble completely removing software like Cygwin, this might help out:

1) Right click on the registry key in question and select "Permissions" from the menu.
    2) Click "Advanced".
    3) Select the "Owner" tab.
    4) In the "Change owner to" pane, highlight your user account.
    5) Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
    6) Click "Apply". Your user account should now show in the "Current Owner" box.
    7) "OK" out of the two prompts.
    :cool: Right-click on the registry key and "Delete" it - the key should now be removed.
    http://reviewstash.com/viewtopic.php?id=1877

About the memory usage, the high usage happened to me too, but only during the first update, it's not common at all after that. Here it's 4 processes using less than 10MB Private Working Set on idle.

Also, I don't know what erp is, but if you inform Baidu of the problem (via bav@baidu.com) they will investigate the problem and try to fix it, I'm sure.

18. Overkill

I really don't want to delete the entire folder just one registry entry and if I right click all I see is this...

Image2.jpg

The highlighted entry is all I want to delete cause i'm not sure what the other entries are.

Image4.jpg

I was able to delete the highlighted entries which were hidden drivers via device manager
    bav.png

19. Jaspion

Have you looked at this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141555 ?

I would email bav@baidu.com for help too. They could improve the uninstallation, I agree with that. I have an impression they'll listen to us.

If I remember correctly how I tacked this same situation not too long ago, I removed those devices with Sysinternals Autoruns first. See if that helps too.

20. Overkill

Thanks i'll check it out, btw erp is Exe Radar Pro

21. Jaspion

Oh, thanks! I should have looked at your setup in the sig, it's right there! :rolleyes:

22. Overkill

BTW PsExec Regedit.bat trick worked like a charm! Thanks :thumb:

23. Jaspion

Glad to read those fine news!! ;)

24. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

So I tried the Leakdetector from Quarri technologies to see how the anti-keylogger fared; Baidu detected the executable as suspicious, which is to be expected from heuristic analysis. So I allowed it to see how the HIPS reacted and it didn't react at all. So for a zero-day file that used the methods that Leakdetector uses; users of Baidu AV may be unprotected.

25. RED_404

RED_404 Registered Member

Just gave it a shot got 78 false positives in my steam directory alone.
    Also detected dxwnd.dll which I use regularly, deflopt.exe part of my image compression script and Awesomium part of Mailbird.

The FP rate is just too high to recommend using it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.