sandboxing/Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Shankle, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Am I correct in saying that IE 10 can no longer be sandboxed?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you talking about using IE10 with Sandboxie?

If you are, Sandboxie works fine with IE 10 (and IE 11)

3. Shankle

Would you be so kind as to tell me where I can read
    about how to do that.

4. guest

guest Guest

We had a pretty wild discussion a few while ago about sandboxing a web browser which already has a sandbox by itself (like modern IE and Chrome). See here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=350960

Since I don't feel like attending the same party again, all I can say is do whatever you want. Redundant or not is pretty much going into the matter of various perspectives.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Like Stapp said, IE10 or 11 runs fine sandboxed.

If you are asking how to run IE sandboxed: IF Internet Explorer is your default browser, all you have to do is click on the SandboxedWebBrowser icon that Sandboxie places in your desktop. If IE is not the default browser, right click on the IE icon, click Run sandboxed, select Default box, click OK.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/

Bo

6. bo elam

If that is so, then you ought to stop posting an invitation to the party every time that someone asks something about Sandboxie and Chrome or Sandboxie and IE.

Bo

7. guest

guest Guest

The fact is it's you who sent the invitation. I just gave information for anyone who is interested.

8. bo elam

Yes, information that has nothing to do with Shankles question.

Cheers

Bo

9. guest

guest Guest

Then it seems that you missed some parts of the discussion about sandboxing a sandbox. Oh wait, isn't it also alluded in the report too? The "A Sandbox Inside a Sandbox" part? The "It could be tempting for some to go the ‘Defense in Depth’ way..." part? Now I wonder if you actually read it or just disagree with everyone who doesn't praise Sandboxie no matter what?

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have to wonder why anyone who is running Sandboxie is even bothering to respond? In any case lets stop this before it starts again.

Pete

11. guest

guest Guest

And I never expect anyone to respond the post #4 of mine. You see, it looks like the OP wasn't sure if sandboxing IE which already has its own sandbox is doable and/or advantageous. Then I referred to the Bromium test report because it's a good reading to answer the OP's hesitation. The final decision is of course in the OP's hands. Then upon a sudden, Bo popped out and suggesting me to stop giving references.

Why do I care? Because I've been in the same situation in the past. I wasn't sure if putting Chrome under Sandboxie's protection can be done without any problems. Yet none of the Sandboxie users even bothered to give any comments about that, so I ended up in making my own conclusion which is: sandboxing modern IE or Chrome/Chromium-based browsers is not necessary at all and might create unnecessary problems. Not worth the efforts nor the risks. If anyone wants to disagree with my conclusion, go ahead. I don't care. I just gave the OP or anyone who is interested a good thing to read so they can make their own conclusions as well.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That Pen Tester thread is not a good thing for a new person to read. It is full of theory conjecture, mis understanding etc, and has no place in other threads. Let people using Sandboxie help the OP. Also anything relating to Chrome has no place in this thread. This thread is about Sandboxing internet explorer. Please lets keep it that way.

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'll have to disagree with that. The thread is within in the eyes of the beholder and has few if any worthy alternatives. Censoring it out completely is unacceptable, especially given it's within the choice of the OP what he/she does with the suggestion that is related to the topic of sandboxing. Chrome was just an example by GrafZeppelin, that is not what the Bromium thread is about.

As for running IE 10 under Sandboxie, it shouldn't require any special steps. Just sandbox it normally, change the settings to what you desire, and run. Posting which OS and any problems you had running IE 10 double sandboxed would be useful in helping use troubleshoot.

14. Shankle

I thank you JL for your supportive message.
    I am running windows 7 pro 64-bit.
    Internet Explorer 11.
    I have Sandboxie disabled at startup as I am
    having a terrible startup problem. It is a cumbersome
    way to do it but I can live with it.
    So for the time being I consider it fixed.

15. focus

focus Registered Member

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Seems browser can still be used after clicking away the Sandboxie error message box.

Looks like it is caused by KB2898785.

Possibly only OS's above XP are affected.

17. focus

focus Registered Member

The error box keeps appearing during a session however, messy. Tzuk has not responded to the problem yet for whatever reason, I imagine if he is online he is working on this.

Removing a security update after it is published is not an option in my working environment and IE is the only browser I can use for certain things. Just have to live with it and hope that the fabric of SB is not being compromised in any way by this problem.

18. focus

focus Registered Member

Tzuk released SB beta 4.07.05 today, problem with IE is corrected.

19. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I think the correction is just that the error message is now hidden by default.

20. Casey44

Casey44 Registered Member

Reading this months later, after Google-ing a problem, ....
    This is the umpteenth answer I find to my question, that says:

"Good question. Don't have the answer."
    OK, so shut up.

21. guest

guest Guest

At first I thought the OP asked if modern IE which already has its own sandbox can be sandboxed with Sandboxie. Then I provided a link which might be useful to consider about this. Although I'm against the idea of sandboxing a sandbox, I decided to be a pacifist and just said to do whatever the OP think is the best thing to do for him/her.

Okay, I think I interpreted it wrong. It was about an error message. But perhaps the sandboxing a sandbox reference might still be useful here, because IE might require special permissions which couldn't be achieved if it's sandboxed.

Then you come out of the blue and telling me to shut up. You see, I don't understand this at all. You can read the reference and decide whether or not you can sandbox modern IE and if it's necessary to do that. There are even more links in there you can read if you have more time to spend. But apparently, you can't take your own conclusion. So let me give you a simple answer which is based on my selfish opinion: No you can not, and you do not need to.

22. bo elam

Hi GrafZ. The only conflict that I am aware between Sandboxie and the more modern versions of IE, have to do with Internet Explorers Protected mode feature. To take care of that, Sandboxie on its own, disables PM when you run IE sandboxed. And leaves the setting alone if you open IE out of the sandbox (IE runs with PM on when it run out of the sandbox).

In my personal case, since I hardly ever use IE and IE9 was great under SBIE, I took a long time to update my W7 to IE10. But I can attest, IE10 works very well running under Sandboxie. The sandbox takes a little longer to delete than with the previous version but other than that, the rest is great. And safer.

No offense, but here is why, "I " would sandbox Chrome if I ever took the plunge and installed it.;)
    http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search-results?query=chrome&search_type=all&cves=on

Sandboxie can protect Chrome users against most of those problems, perhaps all of them.

Greetings:)

Bo

23. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

SBIE v4.08 is also running splendidly (for me) on IE11.

24. guest

guest Guest

Which is good. I also have tried to sandbox Chrome in the past and got no apparent problem. But I concluded that a sandbox on top of another sandbox is somewhat overkill, while I prefer minimalist setup. But if one wants to do that, then go on. Who am I to rule what people have to do? I'm sure anyone here knows what they are doing.

I'm just pissed with Casey44's bossy post, that's all.

25. bo elam

Nice to hear that from you Cruise. I highly regard your opinion about this things. Before upgrading to IE10, I remember asking you in a PM about how well SBIE and IE10 were getting along in your W7, no need to do that now for IE11.:cool:

Regards

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.