Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Re: Hijacking of AV firms’ websites may be linked to hack on Network Solutions

That's fine but not my point and it seems you keep dodging my question which is clear, I asked about your second quote where there are other brands involved this time but you keep coming to the Avira thread...

Forget it, your signature says it all.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Re: Hijacking of AV firms’ websites may be linked to hack on Network Solutions

I have said all there is to say afaik :) My signature what about it?

And as I said before, what do you want me to say? I don't even know why we're having this discussion in the first place.
    It wasn't me who merged the first Network Solutions thread with this thread. Wich is why I didn't create another one just to see if it would get merged too, instead I included a quote by ronjor and both quotes are about the same company and the issues they are facing...Network Solutions.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. zia

zia Registered Member

Hi. I recently installed Avira, but I don't see any alerts at all when I try to run a virus. Just blocked silently. I use vanilla configuration.

I also noticed the tray icon was missing, it appears when I manually start avgnt.exe. Avira failed to register startup apps properly?

Which exe would be in charge of the alerts? There's a whole bunch of them at
    Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

I hope anyone can help me :)

This and ESET are like the only antiviruses with serious GUI.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there
    I don't know what kind of a virus you are running, but you can try the 'Eicar test' which is meant to to check whether your AV responds to a virus threat:
    http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

I have attached some screen shots taken from a test of the Avira web protection: first you get a notification of detection with denial of access as a default action, one has roughly 15 seconds to decide otherwise. Straight after this, one gets another notification stating the page won't be accessed.

Alternatively one gets on the lower left side of the screen a notice of potentially malicious file with a default 'Discard' action.

These alerts are only triggered if one sets 'Action on detection/Interactive', I'm using Avira Antivirus Suite V14, I think it is the same protocol for Avira free if the the web protection is installed.

If the icon is missing there is something definitely wrong with the installation, I would suggest to re-install the program, making sure that any previous AV has been thoroughly uninstalled to avoid any possible conflict.

Attached Files:

5. anon

anon Registered Member

@ zia,
    =
    -----------------------
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/716

1. Go to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Control Panel - Programs (Windows Vista/ 7)
    2. Select Avira AntiVir in the list and click "Change"
    3. Click "Modify" and then "Next"
    4. Now remove the check mark for the module AntiVir ProActiv and press Next to continue the reinstallation.
    4. [Make sure that all the modules are selected, then click "Next" to continue the reinstallation until "Finish".]

After a reboot the modules should work again.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. zia

zia Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried uninstalling it completely and reinstalling. No good. I actually found that nothing Avira related is started after boot. After install I checked from Sysinternals Autoruns to see if Avira is registered and it was there, just not started for some reason I guess.

When I started Avira manually along with avgnt.exe, the alerts actually worked, but appeared on left side of screen and below opened windows instead of top of everything. I'm not sure if that's because the startup procedure is messed up or just another unrelated issue, but I uninstalled Avira for now.

It's weird, I've used Avira before (like year ago) without any problems.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira knowledge Base:

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

meh....

Installed the free version on a friends laptop...
    For 1 week he has some virus which adds shortcuts to usb's files and executes scripts,making screens..

Was a real party on that laptop for so long and avira not a single detection....

Before restoring a backup on that laptop i uninstalled Avira and added another free AV which detected and claimed(as long as you trust any av) that it removed it...

9. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Upon booting my laptop I got a pop-up from Avira advertising some of their products. I thought those days had gone? I'm running the latest version.

10. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Me too started getting those. I guess only the pop-up ad is removed, not the one which displays near system clock.

11. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I thought it was too good to be true.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

This. :mad:

Why do i still get notifier ads?

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If possible, can someone post a screenshot of the ad?

14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

As far as I know, all of the freebies have some form of ad for the paid version (MSE being an exception). Granted, some are more discreet than others, but the toaster popup is definitely better than that huge, in-your-face ad from earlier.

15. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Actually I don't mind this ad through ipm. Far better than the large pop-up ad. Moreover a free product can make money only through ads.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have not seen it mentioned but in pushing for it the lic situation will be fixed soon. since i have not seen it mentioned i wanted to make people aware the 2013 lic's currently work in the newest beta and will soon be able to be used in the next release. there is a released version with the older firewall that can be used for now also. and if you had internet security you will be moved to internet security. this is awesome that avira took this seriously and fixed this issue for its existing customers i just wanted to come say thank you to stephan and the avira team. i now have reinstalled my older lic's back on those systems and they are all good till april and then ill be able to go ahead and use my other lic's after that. thank you avira.

17. Johnny123

Finally someone who is happy. Avira seems to be the company that everyone here loves to slag off on. I have used Avira since the 9.x days when it was just AntiVir and you had to download the whole thing for an update. All those years I never had any problems with the AV or the company.

Once I sent Stefan a FP per email attachment and got an answer within 15 minutes saying that it was harmless and he fixed the signature. Can't beat that.

BTW, everyone is complaining about Ask files in the Avira directory. I was offered the toolbar in the installation and declined it, but I don't have those files anywhere. Maybe this latest version doesn't copy them over if you reject the toolbar.

18. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Maybe I should call it Luke Dangerfield from now on. But in all seriousness, for all their apparent faults they do seem to be very capable people. You don't suddenly forget how to produce a good AV after 2009, and the Ask toolbar as well as other questionable stuff after that suggests it is/was more like that quality had stopped being their priority than actual incompetence. History says the latter takes ages to fix unless the vendor undergoes a complete overhaul, so Avira have a lot of potential. The vast improvement on recent real world tests as soon as they started listening to their customers a bit is a testament to what they can do when they care. Not to mention they're good at adjusting to various platforms according to Mac/mobile security test results (you can take them with a grain of salt but what else do we have?). Daresay I won't be surprised one bit if it wins PotY at the end of 2014. If they keep it up, they'll get the respect they (will) deserve sooner or later. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You have hit the nail on the very head, my friend :thumb:

20. Johnny123

I think the worst one was the Dr.Web troll we used to have here. I won't mention any names to protect the guilty, but I'm sure you know who I mean. The best part was that he said he had never used it, never would, but at the same time knew that it sucks. :D

21. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira Knowledge Base:

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

How is the 2014 version?

23. Johnny123

It's running nice here, but to be honest, I've never had any problems with Avira or the older AntiVir.

You don't have to click the expert settings anymore, they are all displayed by default now. I have the version they now call Antivirus Suite and there are more options in the configuration than there are in the free version.

There is also no firewall, but rather some module that is supposed to provide info from the Windows Firewall if it blocks something. So far I haven't heard a peep from it, which I like.

Contrary to what others have said, I don't have any of those Ask files anywhere.

24. guest

guest Guest

Even in here?

25. Johnny123

Nope, don't have those files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.